Ever had your Concealed Firearm become UNCONCEALED by accident in PUBLIC?

This is a discussion on Ever had your Concealed Firearm become UNCONCEALED by accident in PUBLIC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll start. Several years ago I went to a big celebrity fundraiser done by a prominent women's group my wife was affiliated with. Strictly black ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ever had your Concealed Firearm become UNCONCEALED by accident in PUBLIC?

Ever had your Concealed Firearm become UNCONCEALED by accident in PUBLIC?

I'll start. Several years ago I went to a big celebrity fundraiser done by a prominent women's group my wife was affiliated with. Strictly black tie. Held in a huge downtown office building IIRC. Big DARK multistory parking garage. Very DARK. Everything went fine. Great food. I was bored to tears until we set down to a formal dinner. IIRC, I was carrying a Colt Officer's model 45 in a YAQUI slide holster, strong side hip. I sat in a chair that had arms and the barrel of the gun neatly settled onto the arm and smoothly pushed the gun from the holster. The weapon hit the hardwood floors with a resounding THUNK!!!!! Every eye in the place zeroed in on my predicament, including the MAYOR and the Chief of Police. Nobody said a word when I calmly reholstered and continued to eat. Funny thing, when we decided to "call it a night" about THIRTY couples decided to leave too! I spent about 45 minutes walking folks to their cars. My wife waited patiently in the security office. I got a couple of good classes out of that. I got rid of the Yaqui Holster the next day.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

- not so dramatic as yours but I was experimenting with a OWB crossdraw holster (I normally carry in a shoulder rig).....

Anyway I was in Wal-mart and went to get my wallet out of my left hip pocket. Since I had an untucked shirt (to hide the gun) it was in the way when I tried to get my wallet.

Somehow I lifted my shirt over the gun and it rested on the inside of the gun's handle. Both the cashier and the people behind me OBVIOUSLY noticed.

I was wondering what they were looking at until I realized my gun was completely exposed.

I just said (as I looked down at it myself).. ""Oh... sorry" as I covered it back up. No problems though.

Yeah i have ..When i first started Carrying i was carrying a XD subcopmact in a don hum jit holster and was in shopping .. Odd enough it was the company i work for and reached up to look at i item and hear "look mommy hes got a gun i quicked checked and cover my gun ... Moomy looks over and says" no honey thats just a drill"

Boy did i split fairly fast after that and havnt had it happen again made some big time wardrobe changes after that

Here I don't particularly worry about it - no crime has been committed, no foul, and I'm in an extremely gun-friendly area.

I've seen folks bending over at the grocery with some regularity with a 1911 or a Glock or god knows what else, or the lady in front of me in the line who pulls out a wallet from her purse and you can see the butt of the revolver sticking out of the purse after it was displaced.

What I've learned is if I'm somewhere it's permissible to carry (and here, that's pretty well everywhere but secured areas in jails, the courthouse, and k-12 schools, and with no kids) if a weapon gets exposed to not rush to cover it up or worry about it. It only draws attention to it.

Every once in a while my shirt gets moved up or whatever and I've just stopped worrying about it.

I decided to try the Michaels of Oregon paddle holster. The paddle part screws onto the holster part. As I walked through a residential street, the screw backed out. The holster (gun still inside) went clunk and clatter accross the street as my hip suddenly felt light. This was on a Saturday Afternoon and there were lots of people out in their yards and on the street. I picked up the gun and stuffed the gun and holster into the front of my waistband and walked out of the neighborhood quickly.
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

I could smell anti-freeze one early morning on my way home, so I pull into the mall parking lot to check it out. One of my heaterhoses had a pin-hole in it, I noticed it just before it busted and sprayed coolant all over my shirt, which was promptly ripped off, exposing my kimber at 4:00IWB. Luckily the mall parking lot is deserted between 02:00 and 03:00, which is when this happened. I'm also lucky I didnt get burned...

Though my Kimber wasnt exposed in this situation, it may as well have been. I was walking somewhere downtown when a guy at one of the local bars asked me for a light (he was outside, I guess he asked me because I was smoking, no one else was). While I was getting my BUL (back-up lighter, lol) out of my pocket my spare mag hit the sidewalk. The guy I was giving my lighter too picked it up for me as I started down to get it, he gave me my mag, I gave him my lighter, we exchanged thank yous, and that was it. He just casually handed it to me like I dropped my keys. No big deal. No one cared, or anyone that would have cared was too drunk to notice or make a big deal about it.

Administrator

True Story.

I'll try to keep it short.
    Went out to eat with a good friend of mine.
    He was off duty & carrying S.O.B. under a sport type jacket.
    The restaurant had these sort of open back scroll type ornamental iron chairs.
    I know you have seen them..they were like Bistro chairs.
    The meal was over...He stood up.
    The chair "stood up" with him.
    But...he couldn't stand straight up.
    Because...the seat of the chair was pressing behind his knees.
    His face was almost down near the table & he was wedged solid.
    It happened fast!
    Realizing what happened ~ I said:
    Sit Back Down! ~ Sit Back Down!
    I really saved him by saying "Damn Cell Phones...get hung up everywhere."
    Anti~Climax...He finally managed to free himself.
    I handed him the check.
    Anyway...ya either had to be there...or have a good imagination because it was funny as Hell.
    NONAME762 and halem1 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Over the course of 30 years....yea, several, but I spent most my life in Indiana with a CCW law dating back to 1934 so it is no big deal, even to cops.

My buddy Tony drove sprint cars (race cars) and I was dating the daughter (Linda) of the track promoter (Ed) in Lawrenceburg IN, I had just turned 21 and got my permit, I was in the Marine Corps officer selection program and planning on being a pilot. One night I had worn a T shirt with a crazy cartoon character of a jet pilot during the race, but had changed into more presentable clothes because we ate dinner with the promoter’s family after the race. Tony and I were in the concession office while Ed and his wife counted out the payoff money and Linda was cleaning up the concession stand and there were 6 local cops Ed paid for security. Linda suddenly jerks open my cover jacket and says “I want to see this T shirt everyone is talking about.” Well there is my S&W 19 round butt in a cross draw holster for all the world to see, Linda’s eyes get big as saucers and she looks over at the cops, expecting me to get shot or hauled off in irons. This is how the exchange went…

Cop 1 “is that a round butt 19?”
    Me “Yes”
    Cop 1 “I bought one for off duty but I don’t like it, the grip is too small and I can’t get a good hold on it.
    Me "have you tried a Tayler's T Grip adapter?"
    Cop1 "A what?"
    Me “Here let me show you” I upholster, empty it and hand it over to the cop and tell him he can dry fire it to get the feel
    Cop1 dry firing my RB19 “Hey, this is nice, what did you say this is called?"
    Me “Tayler’s T Grip adapter, here I’ll write it down, any gun shop should be able to order it for you.”
    Cop 2 to Tony “You carrying too?”
    Tony “Just this” as he pulls a stainless chief’s special from an ankle holster, empties it and gives it to Cop2
    Me to cop 1 “Is that a new S&W 66?”
    Cop1 “Yea, check this out.” He upholsters, empties it and hands it to me.
    Any way it turns into a general “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours” session, meanwhile Ed and the family are standing there shell shocked.

A couple weeks later Ed had trouble with a stock car team and threw them out, and the cops had left early when Ed discovered they were laying for him and his family just outside the track. He sent his son to make sure Tony and I were still there, asked me to get his kids out safely…but that is another story.

Another time we were on our way home from this same track and stopped to help a couple high school girls on their way home from a school dance had blown a heater hose in an old Ford Falcon. This was on a very deserted stretch of highway with a reputation for danger. Since we had all the tools for the race car it was pretty easy to rig up a bypass. As I was finishing up a state cop headed the other way stopped to see what was going on and held his flashlight in the engine compartment as I worked. Well we wore waist leanth team jackets and I had switched to a 4" S&W 66 carried OWB just behind the hip and the jacket had fallen behind the grip. As we watched to make sure the bypass would hold the state cop shined his light on my gun and said "Oh, by the way, you do have a permit for that don't you?" I said I did and started to reach for my wallet, he said "That's OK, just asking, your buddy carrying too?" I said he was and reached for my wallet again and he says "No problem, I just thought you were pretty stupid for stopping on this stretch of highway late at night, but I see you have things covered so I'll be on my way." Gets in his car and heads off, we tell the girls we'll follow them home to make sure they make it OK and off we went.

Or do want to hear the one where I was driving the little truck of a buddy that had a leather booth at the state fair. Every other night we alternated taking the deposit back to our home town 50 miles away, and I had spent the night with my girlfriend and was running late getting back to the fair the next morning and was speeding. Well I got stopped by a state cop and while looking for the registration I explained it wasn't my truck, I opened the center console and there was a chief's special laying on top of a baggie of grass
    NONAME762 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Yes in a big way, twice that I can recall plus a potentially embarrassing situation that turned out OK.

Many years ago my Wife and I attended a show in the People’s Republic of Cambridge (MA) and went to a local restaurant in Harvard Square after the show. I carefully sat down before removing my jacket (we sat in a booth against the wall). When we got up to leave, I made sure my back was to the wall and then put my jacket on, but I noticed some considerable hub-bub at the counter with the waiters/cashier. Then I realized that the entire wall behind me was one gigantic mirror and they could see the gun (SOB holster) in the mirror after I got up. We left and nothing happened, luckily.

Second incident was at Town Meeting in the high school auditorium. I was a Special PO and had to work Town Meeting until such time as the meeting began. The deal I had with the Chief (and Town Moderator) was that I wore dark pants (not uniform pants with the blue stripe) and removed the police shirt/jacket (swapped out for civilian shirt/jacket) before sitting down for the meeting. I got up to speak and heard loud gasps from behind me . . . my jacket had ridden up over the butt of the gun and a number of rows of bleeding heart liberals behind me spotted the gun. I straightened out the jacket and chuckled to myself because if anyone complained to any officer present they would have been told that I was one of them.

The following non-incident I posted in another thread, but bears repeating here. This situation could happen to any of us at some social event that turns into a conga-line dance! Back in the days of the Boston Computer Society (BCS), I used to volunteer to work the many trade shows in Boston. We were invited out to the Avalon (night club) by Novell after the show was closed down and I was CCW. We ate, drank and danced. We were part of a long conga-line dancing thru the nightclub when I felt a hand touch the butt of my handgun. I glanced around and saw it was the Membership Director of the BCS and was much relieved. She was a young Irish lady who grew up in Belfast, knew that I carried a gun and was a Special PO and it was a non-issue (we worked together at these shows and I drove her over to the party and back home afterwards). Could have been a major issue if it were someone else!

VIP Member
    The day after I got my carry permit, I took my Interarms Walther PPK/S to the range. The ejector broke, sticking the frame solid. I was a poor college student at the time, and didn't have the budget for a new gun. My brother kindly let me borrow his Glock 23 and a Bianchi OWB belt clip holster.

I was a complete newbie to concealing guns, and this G23 was huge to me. I covered it up with a t-shirt, and a few days later I was in Taco Hell. I didn't realize my t-shirt rode up over the holster, revealing everything. After my greasy meal, I stood up to dump my tray, and apparently the guy sitting behind me had been intently staring at me the entire time. His eyes would not leave my waistband. I knew exactly what happened, and I pulled my shirt back down.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    never have. Almost lost my HK from my paddle roto Fobus when the screw loosened up. Luckily I didin't loose the gun or need it as the holster was free to spin.

VIP Member
    Not me but a friend. We went into the local stop and rob for some snacks. Going to pay the friends Sig drops out on the floor. Not entirely sure what happened, but it got loose inside the jacket. Just picked it up and kept on going. No one cared. We're in a pretty gun friendly area.

I've probably been unconcealed, but didn't know it. I check every now and again to be sure I'm not unconcealed, but haven't noticed a problem and haven't been told of a problem. Open carry is legal here so some people may not care if they see your gun.

-Scott-

1952 - 2006
    No, not that I've ever been aware of. I'm sure that the bottom of my holster has been visible a time or two while reaching to a top shelf in the grocery store or the wind has blown open an unbuttoned cover shirt, but nothing I've ever been aware of or that anyone has ever brought to my attention.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator

Betty...You Said:

"His eyes would not leave my waistband. I knew exactly what happened, and I pulled my shirt back down."

I'm guessing that it was probably NOT just your handgun that he couldn't pull those eyes away from!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

LMAO! I knew someone would say something like that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links