Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Home Invasion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets suppose you come home and find someone in your home?|? Do you retreat even if your armed. It's a situation I always think about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion

Home Invasion

Lets suppose you come home and find someone in your home?|? Do you retreat even if your armed. It's a situation I always think about when coming home, let say for example with the family from dinner. North Carolina Law.
    Like that Bersa

2. Remove Ads

that depends on you. If you want to go running through the house with your gun looking to shoot someone.... then you probubly will end up doing just that. If you want to keep your self and family safe, you should leave the house and get to a phone to call police. Things in your home can be replaced, your life cant.

Keep your guns and ammo in a nice HEAVY vault and locked at all times. Be a good whitness. Call for help but watch your house so you can inform police of the perps location in it, and what he or she is wearing.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Senior Moderator
    It would be an extremely bad idea to enter your house knowing someone was in it, if none of 'yours' were in danger, i.e. not in the house.

For one thing you or he or both could get shot. Second, it could very well make you look like the aggressor if you go in. Few states allow you to 'protect' your property with deadly force.

I've often wondered what I'd do if I saw that someone had poured gasoline all over my house and was starting to light it. As I understand Tennessee law, deadly force would not be justified to prevent him from burning your house, IF no one is in the house or in imminent danger.

That's kinda sad isn't it!

VIP Member
    Personally since I always have a cellular with me I would retreat back outside and call the police. If my family was in the car I'd move it down the street and have them wait in it. When the police arrived I'd show them empty hands and comply with their directions.

Nothing in my home apart from my family is worth trading my life for.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post
    that depends on you. If you want to go running through the house with your gun looking to shoot someone.... then you probubly will end up doing just that. If you want to keep your self and family safe, you should leave the house and get to a phone to call police. Things in your home can be replaced, your life cant.

Keep your guns and ammo in a nice HEAVY vault and locked at all times. Be a good whitness. Call for help but watch your house so you can inform police of the perps location in it, and what he or she is wearing.
    +100
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

To go inside the house and try to clear it would be a mistake. First of all you have no idea of where the BG is which puts you at a disadvantge. All the bad guy has to do is sit and wait for you. The thing to do is to move your family to a safe spot while calling the police on 911. To go looking for a gun fight will probley get you killed and that is insane. You might even end up with charges against you for a gun fight gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    It would be an extremely bad idea to enter your house knowing someone was in it, if none of 'yours' were in danger, i.e. not in the house.

For one thing you or he or both could get shot. Second, it could very well make you look like the aggressor if you go in. Few states allow you to 'protect' your property with deadly force.

I've often wondered what I'd do if I saw that someone had poured gasoline all over my house and was starting to light it. As I understand Tennessee law, deadly force would not be justified to prevent him from burning your house, IF no one is in the house or in imminent danger.

I agree with don't go in or run the heck out if you find someone in your house.

In Minnesota, you can shot someone if they are committing a felony. I would not shot the person unless they are going to burn up my family or pets.

From MN law...
    "609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.
    The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when
    necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the
    actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode. "
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I would leave and get my family in a safe area, then call the police.

Just becausae you have a gun dont mean you need to use it!
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

Part of it would depend on how, and when you find them. If you see them from outside, I think that's an easy retreat.

If you stumble on them once inside, with family members potentialy already in harms way, that is another story.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    In Pennsylvania (my state) the Law does NOT require you to
    Retreat if threatened inside your Home.

This widens your options considerably.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks Gents, very well put............
    Like that Bersa

Stay Safe...

What I'd like to do...
    Signal the remote window and door locking devices. Next ignite the hidden perimeter explosives that surround the house. Call WasteManagement...

What I know I must do...Back off and secure safety of self and family. Call 911 and be a good witness.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

+1 on the first comment.

Here in KY we can defend our property as well. If you see someone about to burn your barn down then you can shoot.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

If someone is in your house, you and your family are not in danger, and you have ready opportunity to escape...well, the other option is to have to clear your house with a possibly armed intruder inside. That's a nasty, risky business, and your taxes go to paying the pros to do that for you anyway. If the police will come out and do it for you, that's a better option, isn't it? I'd say the clearing of buildings with hostiles inside should be outsourced if you have the option!

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post

Gel TOTALLY nailed this one. I could not have said it any better myself.

Protect your family and yourself. Watch the house after calling the cops and be a good witness.

Another thing to remember, if you are like me, I don't just own one gun. The one I am carrying is but one of 10 handguns and there are several high powerd rifles and several shotguns in there. They are locked up in a heavy safe but, how long have they been in my house? Long enough to get the safe open? Will my AK be fired at me or my family?

Nope, call the cops. Watch the house and pay attention to detail. Be a good witness.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links