bill in Colorado Senate to "toughen" CCW laws

This is a discussion on bill in Colorado Senate to "toughen" CCW laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just introduced in new session: http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/Cli...ile=034_01.pdf The essence is: to be legal in Colorado, one must carry only with a permit from his state of ...

Thread: bill in Colorado Senate to "toughen" CCW laws

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Just introduced in new session:

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/Cli...ile=034_01.pdf

The essence is: to be legal in Colorado, one must carry only with a permit from his state of residence.

If they pass it, I won't go to CO or spend a dime in CO!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I think a lot of states are having a lnee-jerk reaction because so many people are getting a Utah and or Florida out of state permit.

Process

With all the Dems elected in November, we're now under attack at all levels of government. It's time to fight to hang on to what we've previously one.

This bill is currently before the Judiciary Committee. John Morse (D) who authored it is the Vice-Chairman of that committee. 5 of 7 members are Democrates, including the chairman.

I e-mailed my senator and each member of the committee, but I'm sure it will make it out of committee. I haven't yet sent a note to everone else. Here's what I sent them:

-----------

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/Cli...ile=034_01.pdf

I am a citizen of Centennial, in the 27th Senate District and am concerned about a bill recently introduced by Senator John Morse, of Colorado Springs.

SB 07-034, which I linked above, is about Concealed Weapon Permit reciprocity. It would eliminate recognition of licenses when the licensee does not reside in the state that issued the license.

I might understand the bill, if the idea was to make Colorado Residents acquire a Colorado permit the way we make new residents get a Colorado driver's license. This is the way Senator Morse first explained it to me. However, this bill goes far beyond that. In an attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it causes two problems.

First, someone moving in from out of state that holds one of these licenses can currently continue to carry in Colorado using that license. Under the new law, their existing licenses which met Colorado's standards the day before they moved here would be invalid the day they arrive and they would have a 90 day or so gap in coverage while they went through the process again to get a Colorado License. For a business man, that's an annoyance, for someone fleeing an abusive relationship, it could be tragic.

Second, a citizen of South Carolina for example, who holds their state permit, cannot carry in Colorado because the South Carolina permit does not meet our standards. If a permit holder in South Carolina wishes to carry their gun to hike and camp in the mountains where it may be concealed by their jacket, they can do so by getting a non-resident permit from Utah, a state who's standards meet Colorado's. I have personally gone through the Utah process and hold both Utah and Colorado permits. They will have to take a course by a Utah certified instructor, pass a written test, demonstrate their proficiency with their firearm during live fire exercises, pass a background check, have their finger prints run and have a notary verify their identity when they sign their paper work, all to satisfy Utah's and thereby Colorado's standards.

After they've done all that to meet our standards, I don't believe we should refuse to honor their Utah permit, when we would honor the same permit for someone who went through the same process but happens to reside in Utah. The only difference in the Utah permit process between a resident of South Carolina and a resident of Utah is the address to which the permit is mailed.

I hope I can count on you to oppose this bill which hopes to fix a problem that doesn't exist and causes real problems for both new Colorado residents and non-residents alike.

Thank you for your consideration on this issue.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Good letter and a fine example that all of us need to stay vigilant to keep the politicians straight!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I see that there are MANY states that Colorado doesn't have
    Reciprocity with ( regardless of residency of permit holders ).

Is this because of a training requirement?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I see that there are MANY states that Colorado doesn't have
    Reciprocity with ( regardless of residency of permit holders ).

Is this because of a training requirement?
    Training requirements in other states might cause them to not recognize Colorado. Almost any other state recognizing Colorado permits achieves full reciprocity with CO; our current CCW reciprocity law has only 2 simple requirements:

"Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213) states that Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permittee is 21 yrs of age or older AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state." from http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp. Therefore, a "yes" on this page indicates full reciprocity--there are 24, with Kansas soon to be added.

I consider this a pretty good list. IL and WI, of course, and several other states have no reciprocity. For shortest non-zero reciprocity list, West Virginia may take the prize. WV reciprocates only with neighbors VA and KY, although West Virginians may carry in several other states which either unilaterally recognize any other permit or require no permit for concealed carry.
    Last edited by Anubis; January 15th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

Sponsored Links