9mm-.380

This is a discussion on 9mm-.380 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hope I'm not being too ignorant here. Simple question - If you have a 9mm and a .380, both loaded with a 95 gr. JHP, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 9mm-.380

New Member Array Illinoispacker's Avatar

9mm-.380

Hope I'm not being too ignorant here. Simple question - If you have a 9mm and a .380, both loaded with a 95 gr. JHP, .355 dia. (Same exact bullet). Your loads for both pistols have a muzzle exit velocity of 1000 fps. And putting controlability issues aside. I fail to see why a 9mm would be any better than the .380.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    9mmx19mm 90 grain would be moving at least 1200 FPS, 115 moves around 1200 so I expect a 90 grain could be driven a little faster.

But to answer your hypothetical, if everything was the same bullet type, composition of the bullet etc...laws of physics they would perform the same in the same media.

You would really have to chrono out of your own gun.
    CLASS3NH and AmmoFan01 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoispacker View Post
    Hope I'm not being too ignorant here. Simple question - If you have a 9mm and a .380, both loaded with a 95 gr. JHP, .355 dia. (Same exact bullet). Your loads for both pistols have a muzzle exit velocity of 1000 fps. And putting controlability issues aside. I fail to see why a 9mm would be any better than the .380.
    depends on the charge but the 9MM usually has more powder charge in it. ( very generic answer )
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

9mm offers better (heavier) bullet weights, so there would be no reason to use 95 gr.
    oneshot, AmmoFan01 and RebelSoul like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

TVJ
    How about barrel length. The longer the barrel the higher the velocity in the same round as the bullet gets more time under pressure in the longer barrel.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That would be a very downloaded 9mm. But given that identical bullets leave the barrels of two different guns at the same velocity, they would be the same. Reality--the two calibers do not have the same velocities unless specifically loaded to do so..
    MasterGadgets likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    yeah, you got fuzzy load data.

simple fact, 9mm has more case volume so can be loaded to higher pressure for any given bullet weight. which translates to higher volicty.

you could load a 9mm down to .380, but you can't load a 380 up to 9mm. and you have to compare apples to apples, a loaded down 9mm compared to a +P 380 is unfair.
    BadgerJ, walker2713 and RebelSoul like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

If shot out of a six inch test barrel which most manufacturers use to test their ammo, the results should be exactly the same. You can download 9mm to .380 AP levels, but you can't upload .380 AP to high end 9mm levels or to 9mm +P levels.
    StormRhydr and RebelSoul like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

I wouldn't get to wrapped around the axle about this when trying to make a determination on gun to use for Self defense.

Velocity, Bullet weight, Bullet type are all factors to consider.

Not to mention the what it hits is the biggest factor on effectiveness of a bullet.

Is the target wearing a leather coat, are they doped up, are they drunk, are they high on adrenaline, or caffeine, body type, muscle .vs fat, what angle did it hit, did it hit bone, hollow organs .vs solid organs. Probably the most important factor is the mindset or determination of the target. Some folks get shot and their brain says "you've been shot" fall down now! (they got hit with a pellet rifle. Some guys get shot 14 times with rifle rounds and still fight for hours or a bank robber taking an un-surviable hit, only to fight and fatal wound a federal agent.

Carry what you shoot well. In the end misses or peripheral hits to the arm even with large caliber fast moving projectiles are typically not fight stoppers. Carry a gun you can shoot fast and well that holds A LOT OF BB's. Make an educated choice on ammunition selection that is reliable in your particular gun and has a good track record.

There is no magical fight stopper bullet, only the will and abilities of the individual.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Who shoots 95 grain 9mm?
    Enzo411, BurgerBoy and ETXhiker like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    Who shoots 95 grain 9mm?
    in theory I could load some up? but why?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

This is correct. Same bullet of same mass with same velocity will have same performance.

The reason 9mm is "better" is that the numbers you give are pretty much the absolute top-end of what .380 can deliver, and below the bottom end of what 9mm is actually loaded to. You'd find it very difficult to find a commercial 9mm round that has that small of a mass, and defensive rounds are more typically at something like 124gr and 1100 fps.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    This is correct. Same bullet of same mass with same velocity will have same performance.

The reason 9mm is "better" is that the numbers you give are pretty much the absolute top-end of what .380 can deliver, and below the bottom end of what 9mm is actually loaded to. You'd find it very difficult to find a commercial 9mm round that has that small of a mass, and defensive rounds are more typically at something like 124gr and 1100 fps.
    Exactly, I reload 9mm and my favored bullet choice is always 124 or 125 grain. I've shot some some 122's too, but I tend to stay in the 124-135 grain range. My SIG just seems to like those better than 115's.

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    Who shoots 95 grain 9mm?

Probably more people carry 95 grain 9mm (aka 9mm Kurz, aka 9mmx17mm, aka .380) than they do anything else. I know more folks caring pocket guns than full size guns.

And now we have come full circle!

9uc
    I carry either one or the other. For target, 115gr in the 9mm and 95 in the 380. 9mm barrel length is less than a quarter longer than 380. Far less recoil in 9mm. One step more, for SD in the 9mm I use 147 gr +P JHP and 124 gr FMJ and still less recoil than the 380.
    tdave likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links