Ankle carry question.

This is a discussion on Ankle carry question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never carried anything in an ankle holster. But I'm thinking more and more about trying this method for when I'm driving my truck. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankle carry question.

Ankle carry question.

I've never carried anything in an ankle holster. But I'm thinking more and more about trying this method for when I'm driving my truck.
    I have practiced and I am very capable of reaching my left ankle with my right hand, I don't have any physical impediment like being overweight, and I'm tall (long arms).
    I assume the left ankle is better as it enables me to still use the right foot to control the vehicle. I drive an automatic.
    So my question is this, what can go wrong that I haven't thought of?

Is an ankle holster a good idea for a subcompact for truck carry?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Make sure you buy a good quality holster. There are a lot of cheap ones out there, and you cannot get away with going the cheap route with this method of carry. Also, make sure your holster is compatable with your boot, shoe or snoopy slippers.
    You might run into a little bit of trouble depending on what type of pants you wear, you will need something with a little more room on the ankle to allow you to draw easy.

Getting in and out of the truck will take a little more care too. What kind of truck are we talking about? A large CDL type, or a pick-em-up?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Toyota Tundra.
    I was planning on getting a good holster,I don't like cheap ones too much. Any recommendations?

Administrator
    Take a look at Null, and Alessi. Theres another out there I can suggest, but the name is not coming to me right now... I'll get back with you when my memory decides to start working again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't like ankle carry myself. I thought you were driving a big rig, why not a shoulder holster? Much quicker on the draw and you don't have to go through a Gumby maneuver when you need to draw. Besides what about when you stop for lunch and are sitting at Wendy's and the pant leg creeps up and everyone can see the rig? Unless you are going to wear bell bottoms from the 70's that are 3 sizes to big. You need to do what works for you, but ankle carry would probably be my last choice.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I just ordered a DeSantis leather ankle holster. When it comes in, I'll post how I like it/comfort, etc. My work dress code pretty much dictates ankle carry is the only feasible option.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Ankle holsters are good if you're sitting down quite a bit. They're easy to get to that way. Aside from pants that are looser at the bottom, you don't have to change your wardrobe, like a shoulder holster.

The Alessi & Null's are great, I'm sure (I never used them, but have heard nothing but praise). I had good luck with the Renegade with my S&W 442. It was retained by a nylon strap over the front of the trigger guard. You just grip the gun & pull. It never came out during any foot pursuits either, unlike some others.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I use an Alessi ankle holster, and yes a right handed holster attatches to your left leg. I carry a j-frame airweight .357 smith in it. It's very comfortable and I love it. I think ankle carry is definitely one of the fastest drawing methods in a vehicle if you tuck your pantleg behind the gun while you're in the vehicle (which we have to do in Ohio anyway). Only prob is it's a very slow draw location if you're standing and the gun is concealed (which is what the 1911 in an IWB is for).

jay

ckd
    Alias,

Since you drive an automatic truck the ankle holster probably is do able. I think all the comments are right on though, and if you're thin, you have more torso options that would probably be allow a faster draw, since the probability of most unwanted encounters will be outside your rig. Many who spend a good portion of their lives seated prefer a cross draw holster (IWB or OWB), left appendix, or even a belly band with a shirt button open for better access.

The ankle is a good place for a BUG (back up gun) of small size and little weight. If you decide on an ankle holster, go for the good stuff, it will be much more comfortable.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Administrator
    Ditto SIXTO on the Alessi. It's about as good as they get.

VIP Member
    +1 on Alessi!

There's about a 24 week wait though. (I still have 14 to go!) Well worth the wait too but you may want to get a Galco Ankle Glove to hold you over!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    24 weeks...that's not bad. One holster site I was on yesterday was quoting a 52 week wait for Alessi holsters not already in stock.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I do ankle carry some , with a " no name nylon" rig in the past I have had good rigs from some of the major makers , and come to the conclusion that for me the expense does not justify the holster . for myself ankle comes into play when I cannot hide a p3at in a pocket . and I do understand the changes needed to effectively deploy an ankle gun , for your average person i would say Dont carry this way . If you have to well take lfi , or re read some of aayobs books he has a good protocal for it
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Galco Ankle Glove. Very comfortable. I carry ankle style a couple of days out of the week when Im in a shirt and tie but not a suit. Ankle is a pain as far as draw, and it is my least favorite mode of carry, but as I stated I carry that way 1-3 times a week; it is better than not having it or it being in my briefcase etc... I am a little weary of drawing while driving from an ankle position, not as easy as it sounds. I prefer iwb 3-4:00 and when I take my seatbelt off if being carjacked, which would be a natural move unlike reaching for your ankle, I come with a little surprise. Cant speak for the Alessi, but after research between the two, I went for the Galco, (the one with sheepskin inside for ankle comfort) and have been very happy with it.
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Alessi and Galco are both great rigs...but I went with a Renegade for one reason...the soft leather is more concealable than a molded holster...the wide band is very comfortable with tons of sheepskin padding...the strap is a pull thru design so it holds it in firm but comes out with a good tug...for 2/3 the price of the alessi and no wiating, i would check it out...this one is 3 years old and still going like new.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links