I Have To Go To DC

This is a discussion on I Have To Go To DC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to go to a conference in Washington DC in February. The conference in Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. My best friend lives in Pennsylvania, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Have To Go To DC

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

I Have To Go To DC

I have to go to a conference in Washington DC in February. The conference in Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

My best friend lives in Pennsylvania, and I am going to fly in Friday spend the weekend with him do a little shooting and show off my new crimson trace hand grips. Then go down to DC Monday morning check into a hotel go to my conference and check out of my hotel Wednesday morning go to the conference and catch a train to BWI Wednesday afternoon to fly home.

Is there any legal way for me to do this?

What happens if I was to get caught in DC with a weapon, (I donít know how I would be), that is locked in my suitcase or locked in the safe in my room?

What happens if I was to get caught actually carrying concealed, as I was walking around the Viet Nam Memorial at night?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Try this NRA link
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I live 10 minutes outside of DC. There is a reason why I don't live there, and it's because their rules on possessing weapons are STRICT. Take for example possessing "unregistered" ammo:

"7-2506.01
    No person shall possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless:
    (1) He is a licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV;
    (2) He is an officer, agent, or employee of the District of Columbia or the United States of America, on duty and acting within the scope of his duties when possessing such ammunition;
    (3) He is the holder of the valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses; except, that no such person shall possess restricted pistol bullets; or
    (4) He holds an ammunition collector's certificate on September 24, 1976."

If you want further info, try Packing.org http://www.packing.org/state/washington_dc/

DC does not believe in allowing their citizens (or visitors) to have the right to protect themselves. That is why the annual murder rate is in the triple digits.

As for what would happen to you if get caught, definatly confiscation and a probably a felony charge.
    Last edited by razorblade; January 11th, 2007 at 06:47 AM.

To answer your question: No.

Just to put things in perspective, I used to live on Blair Mill Rd. in Silver Spring, Md. Here's a Google Maps link to see where I'm talking about: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...m=1&iwloc=addr I was literally a stone's throw away from arguably the most (legislatively) gun-hating place in the U.S.

You see where 16th St. connects with Eastern Avenue, slightly to the north-northwest? That was my usual route to return home from work, but if I was coming from the range, or for some reason had my weapon in my car (coming back from parents house, etc.), I would cut through downtown Silver Spring to the north, just to avoid nipping that less than 20-yard section of D.C.

Would anything have happened if I didn't? Realistically, probably not, but I wasn't taking any chances. Neither should you. The Vietnam War Memorial is a scant few blocks away from the White House, and just with the general mindset floating around the area, it's NOT a good idea.

Leave the guns at home for this trip, or arrange to have them shipped from your friend's place.

Lead Moderator
    Don't break the law. If you can fly to PA and then retrieve the gun there after your stay in DC bring em .If not ,don't violate the laws. You make all gun owners look bad by presenting a negative image if caught.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Just don't do it, Timmy.

I !@###@!# H-A-T-E !$@#$^%$# D.C.

It is one of my least favorite but more frequent rants, with D.C. supposed to somehow be the capitol of freedom and liberty in the world.

You are legally required to roll over and spread your legs for thugs.

I don't know Maryland law, but I doubt it's very enlightened on this subject.

Fly into Pennsylvania (or Reagan, which is over in Va., but just barely) next time.

Or, better yet, NEVER go to D.C.

I've had to a couple of times in the last year or so. But I don't plan on EVER going back.

!@#$# 'em there, every one.
    Last edited by randytulsa2; January 12th, 2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: As usual, mortifyingly poor spelling.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Be afraid, be very afraid.

Seriously, don't have a gun (or ammo) in DC unless you want to go to jail.

And no one but BGs go walking in DC at night.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Seriously, don't have a gun (or ammo) in DC unless you want to go to jail. And no one but BGs go walking in DC at night.
    And therein lies the stupidity of restrictive gun laws. No doubt.

Ditto: avoid possession and carry anywhere near D.C. They'll string you by the toenails and dip you in bronze as an example. You'll be famous, though not in the way you'd prefer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Getting caught with a handgun in DC is VERY serious. Unless you are a celebrity or politically connected person, you will probably do hard jail time. At a minimum, they will persue a felony charge just so you won't be able to own guns in the future.

They won't even let Teddy "kill 'em with my car" Kennedy's professional body guards carry.

The possession of even a single round of ammunition will get you arrested.

I live in northern Virginia about 15 miles from the District of Crime. I always have to keep it in mind when I travel: make sure I don't screw up, miss an exit and end up in DC.

My advice is leave DC and return to the United States as soon as you are able.

Lead Moderator
    In a word.... NO!

Play it safe (bad phrase), don't even try. If you get caught things will go downhill real fast.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I'm facing a similar situation later this month. I have a conference in D.C. to go to. Unfortunately, as others have said, D.C. is a victim disarmament zone. I'll probably pack a blade (maybe OC, but I don't know if I check it in my luggage on the airplane) but no firearm.

For your situation, one option might be to ship your firearm home from Pennsylvania. You'd probably have to make arrangements to ship it to an FFL in your area. That would let you take it to PA without running afoul of D.C. laws.

Solution - Can you carry in Virginia?

Although I don't live in Virginia, I have 3 different permits that are good in Virginia. I presume that you also may have a permit that is good in Virginia.

I used to live in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. There is an area of Arlington known as Rosslyn, located on the Potomac River, north of Arlington Cemetery and a few hundred yards from Washington. There are several good hotels in Rosslyn, and a stop on the Washington Metro (subway) is located in Rosslyn.

You can drive from Pennsylvania to Rosslyn without entering Washington and stay in a Rosslyn hotel, keeping your gun with you. Assuming that your Washington meeting is near a Metro station, you can leave your gun at the hotel and ride the subway from Rosslyn to your meeting and back. Most places in Washington are reachable by the Metro or a bus.

Here is a map showing the Metro system:

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post

Seriously, don't have a gun (or ammo) in DC unless you want to go to jail.

And no one but BGs go walking in DC at night.
    I'm a DC native born and raised, very recently transplanted to MA.
    AutoFan is spot on in regard to firearms, and ammunition.
    They are not allowed at all with no exceptions, but for connected Congressmen from MS.

As for walking in DC very many regular folks including myself have and do.
    Just like any other city be aware of your surroundings if you decide to go out, day or night.
    Crime happens here, there, and everywhere.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Don't do it avoid MD as well.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

+1 ^^

MD is very much anti-gun and does not honor anyones license, nor give them out but to super special people as based on real state record results.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links