Absentee Rounds

This is a discussion on Absentee Rounds within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the other day, I got into my car after work, retrieved my Glock 23 from my briefcase, slapped in a magazine, chambered a round, ...

Thread: Absentee Rounds

Absentee Rounds

So the other day, I got into my car after work, retrieved my Glock 23 from my briefcase, slapped in a magazine, chambered a round, topped off the mag. and slid it into my IWB holster behind my right hip. I drove to a local mall to do some shopping.

Imagine my surprise when I came back to the car after shopping and found the magazine lying on the driver's seat! I had walked around with only the one chambered round, and 13 AWOL. You can bet I'm no longer so nonchalant about inserting the magazine securely!

Imagine how embarrassed (or how dead) I would have been if I had found myself in a tactical situation.

2. Remove Ads

Drop free magazine

You clearly use the "drop free" Glock magazines which slide out with no effort. Now you know how freely they actually drop, when they aren't locked into place.

I always listen for that "click" when the magazine goes in.

Well, you just have to make that first shot count...when its your only shot.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have done that exact same thing myself with the exact same model handgun. I am not sure if it is a problem strictly related to Glocks or not. Needless to say, everytime I load now I double check the magazine by firmly pulling on it before I holster my weapon and proceed with business.

Could be worse. If you were carrying a gun with a magazine safety, you'd effectively been carrying a big paperweight.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Yet another very good reason to carry a spare magazine.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Lead Moderator
    My first holster would activate the mag release while holstered occasionally while sitting. I got a new holster pronto after finding the mag partially out of the grip .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I always give a little tug or two to the magazine baseplate (the "foot" portion that protrudes past the grip) after inserting the magazine.

I have never had a mag Drop out but have heard them pop being a 1911 ya know that sound is

For some reason o
    i am good i catching the door jam getting out of the suv and have popped the mag many times that way

One place where being a righty would be good

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I have done that exact same thing myself with the exact same model handgun. I am not sure if it is a problem strictly related to Glocks or not. Needless to say, everytime I load now I double check the magazine by firmly pulling on it before I holster my weapon and proceed with business.
    I don't consider the drop free mags a problem. Makes tactical reloads much faster.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Only Glock View Post
    I don't consider the drop free mags a problem. Makes tactical reloads much faster.
    Yea, I have to admit that I prefer the drop free mags as well for the same reason. If drop free mags were the problem, then a lot of sig and 1911 owners would be in trouble because that is there only option.

Things happen, lesson learned, don't let it happen again. Thats enough said.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would personaly suspect the holster somehow pressed the mag release, even drop free mags should be held in the butt of the gun loosely by the friction of the mag release if it isnt being depressed.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Have a look at where the magazine release touches the holster. Leather IWB holsters typically hold the weapon very tightly due to the belt and pants squeezing it from the outside. I got a plastic IWB which doesn't squeeze shut for that very reason. I have had my Glock 23 mag come loose twice in a leather IWB, so I quit using it. Fortunately I found the mag on the seat before I left, but that was more luck than good tactics. I'm sure it sent a chill down your back to see that mag lying there. Glad you didn't need it.
    It is what it is - not what you think it should be. Deal with it!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    They don't call'em "drop free" fer nuthin'

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    What is a drop free mag, and what other kinds are there?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Drop free mags will drop straight down and out of the pistol when the mag release is depressed. The non drop free mags, or friction mags, will pop out a couple inches but there is friction that keeps them from falling out all the way, so one must manually pull the empty mag out of the mag well and then reinsert a fresh mag. I agree with Only Glock and the others, I want all drop free mags for tactical reasons. If you have ever topped off a Glock mag to capacity and tried to insert it, it will take a good shove to get it to click. I always listen for that click. I have the same model 23 with Glock +2 floor plates so that is 15 in the mag +1 in the hole, however trying to get that 15 round mag in can require some pressure, many times I don't top off the mag. Just a live and learn situation, not the fault of the weapon or the mag. Glad you didn't need it either!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links