Hospital Trip

This is a discussion on Hospital Trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not sure if this fits here so the Mods can feel free to move it if they think it fits better else where. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Trip

me [OP]

Hospital Trip

I am not sure if this fits here so the Mods can feel free to move it if they think it fits better else where.

Ok this one popped into my head today because a Co-worker was injured (Non-CCW) and had to go to the hospital today. If you were to get injured (Still alert and oriented) while Carrying and had to be transported to the hospital by an Ambulance what do you do with your CCW if no one is available to take position of it that you trust? Also If you have a someone you do trust there that does not have a permit can you legally give it to them to transport to your house?

2. Remove Ads

There was a thread about this i Believe security will take control of it
    Not sure on letting someone take it home depends on state

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I suggest you read this thread for some ideas of an approprate action . http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ight=ambulance
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I suppose my first consideration would be to surrender the firearm to an LEO, if one is present, and let him secure it. Make sure you get a reciept for record and reclaiming the firearm.

If the LEO is not an option, or I was to end up in the ambulance or at the hospital before this issue could be brought up then I would surrender the firearm to the hospital staff to be secured. Most hospitals should feature some kind of safe for personal items such as this. Make sure you get a reciept for record and for reclaiming.

If someone you know and trust is present, then putting the firearm in their care should not be an issue provided that the firearm is unloaded, they are not carrying it concealed if they are not licensed to, and that they are legally able to possess a firearm.

Most importantly, if you are ever faced with that and you have to surrender your firearm to someone you do not know and trust, get a written reciept stating what you are surrendering, why you are surrendering it, who you are surrendering it too, and that it is signed by the person recieving it. This could be very important should a legal issue arise later.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Lead Moderator
    Best to inform medics, let them call PD more than likely.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I just walked over to the other side of the building and asked the fire dept what they do....

They do have a small lockbox on the squad to secure such items if the police dept. is not on scene.
    "Just blame Sixto"

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I just walked over to the other side of the building and asked the fire dept what they do....

They do have a small lockbox on the squad to secure such items if the police dept. is not on scene.
    I wish we did,something i may need to address to the higher ups.
    Even if just for our fire firefighters... you would find almost as many guns on our volunteer fire fighters as the cops on scene, and I am a suburbanite. I went to a call christmas eve and due to discussion and reholstering found that HALF of our crew was carrying a CCW. Stupid young kid opened his mouth when he saw one guy reholster then found out half the company had one on. When I go on a call I apply my trigger lock and leave it in the car as much as possible although sometimes it gets put in the station.

VIP Member
    The hospital's security had all my stuff... wallet, keys, knife and Glock when I checked out of the hospital the time I went for the ride with the medics. (Unconscious) Gun was unloaded and in a plastic bag!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

All you folks who say get a receipt and make sure your mommy signs it, are assuming you can even talk or communicate with someone. Yje EMT's deal with this all the time. If I could communicate I would trust them to handle it properly, I doubt I am going to ask they guy for a receipt, C'mon!!! The EMT's aren't the guys that are going to steal your gun. The hospital will secure the weapon and return it to you when you are discharged from the hospital.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I work in a hospital (Florida) and we had something like this come up last week, that ended in an arrest for the person with the firearm.

A guy was severely injured (head trauma and injury) and air-lifted to the hospital along with a bag of his stuff. About a week later he's recovering in his patient room, and a nurse sees him in his room wearing a pistol in a holster (not concealed apparently, as I heard it 3rd hand it sounded like an IWB holster with no cover garment). It sounds as though he had a pistol in his bag of stuff that he put on after he recovered enough to do so. End result though is the patient was arrested shortly thereafter. I only heard of it because the arresting P.O. was the husband of someone I work with in the same hospital.

There are a couple of issues with this one that I'm trying to find out about, if and when I get a chance to talk with the officer who made the arrest.
    -no info yes or no on whether the patient had a CWP. All of the below items are *assuming* that this guy had a CWP with him and wasn't just someone illegally carrying a concealed weapon...
    -did the patient refuse to disarm or give up his weapon? Don't know if the nurse called the PD immediately, or if the patient got belligerent or something and refused. Like I said, don't know if the patient even had a CWP or not, yet.
    -the hospital has signs saying that weapons are not allowed (that's how it says it, does not reference CCW)
    -Florida law has a proviso that makes it a 3rd degree felony to introduce weapons or contraband into mental health facilities. The way the law was (poorly) written, any hospital with an E.R. qualifies under this definition. The law is still being interpreted and may get changed, so I don't know if this was a valid arrest or if charges will stand against this guy.

Very puzzling, but a little worrisome to me assuming this guy was trying to carry CCW. When I was talking to the arresting officer's wife (by coincidence she and I work in the place where this happened) I asked her if the arrested guy had a CWP, a short time after her husband had told her about it. She responded "well, you can't carry a gun in a hospital!" She's actually wrong about this, in FL law says you can't carry in the usual places such as schools, courthouses bars but hospitals aren't on that list. The law about mental health facilities is under review/interpretation, at the least it appears if you were CCW in a FL hospital and were found out, you should get a chance to leave and/or disarm before facing arrest, it's not the same as being caught with in a courthouse or similar. Makes me suspect that maybe the arresting officer wasn't 100% up on the firearms law, which I understand happens.

I'm still trying to gather info on this, and will post an update if I learn any actual facts. But this was one of the stranger things to happen at work in a long while...

oops, sorry bout that, don't know how the triple post happened...
    Last edited by xsquidgator; January 13th, 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Hospitalized person with weapon

oops, sorry bout that, don't know how the triple post happened...
    Last edited by xsquidgator; January 13th, 2007 at 12:22 PM.

Damm a triple tap , xsquidgator are you taking posting lessons from QK or something ? LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Interesting question.

In MA, the law doesn't allow anyone to touch a gun unless they are LE or licensed! There are no exceptions in the law for security, EMS, etc. (what do you expect from brain-dead legislators).

Even when I go into a courthouse, they have me lock it in a gun locker but never touch the gun. The court officers are unarmed and it is questionable if any have LTCs and they have very limited if any LE powers (probably none from what I can see in MGLs).

I don't doubt that EMS takes possession and hospital security (all local hospitals seem to have unarmed guards) may take it from them, but the legality of them doing so is somewhere between illegal and questionable (even if sensible).
    NRA Instructor

Len I suspect buryed in the statutes somewhere they can take possesion of the firearm , the same as any other " hazardus material " that they might come into contact with .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links