Out-of-State Gun Show Question

This is a discussion on Out-of-State Gun Show Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Kansas resident, but attending a gun show in Kansas City, MO tomorrow morning. If I purchase a handgun, will it have to ...

Thread: Out-of-State Gun Show Question

Out-of-State Gun Show Question

I am a Kansas resident, but attending a gun show in Kansas City, MO tomorrow morning. If I purchase a handgun, will it have to be sent to a Kansas FFL or can I take it with me? Would it make a difference if I purchased the gun from a Kansas-based FFL who has a booth at the show?
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am thinking - if bought out of state, then it will technically have to be ''shipped'' by some means to your chosen KS FFL - for collection and writing up.

I somehow don't think the FFL status of the table owner will make any difference. I am tho open to correction on that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Title 27 Code of Federal Regulations Chapter II Part 478 Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition Subpart F Conduct of Business Section 100 Conduct of business away from licensed premises. (a) (1) A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun show or event is located in the same State specified on the license.

A Kansas-based dealer cannot conduct business at a gun show in MO. A handgun will have to be shipped to a Kansas FFL. Depending on the state laws in Kansas you may be able to buy a long gun in MO and take possession of it there. The latest Kansas information I have is from 2005 and at that time you could purchase a rifle or shotgun in a state contiguous with Kansas such as MO.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Make sure you figure in these fees when negotiating on a gun. Hope you find a keeper.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I think an exception may be if you purchase a privately owned, rather than dealer stocked, weapon. You can often find these at gun shows, and you just never know what might turn up. I love gun shows!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I think an exception may be if you purchase a privately owned, rather than dealer stocked, weapon. You can often find these at gun shows, and you just never know what might turn up. I love gun shows!
    No. If you buy a handgun across state lines without it going to a FFL in your state of residence, even from a private party you will be breaking federal law. Not to mention state laws in both states. Some states do allow long guns to be transferred, but not all. Usually it is only bordering states as well.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

My bad. Should have reread the Gun Control Act of 1968. Private sales between residents of two different states are also prohibited without going through an FFL, except for the case of a buyer holding a Curio & Relic license purchasing a firearm that qualifies as a curio or relic.

I should remember never to respond to posts on this forum until I've had at least two cups of coffee.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Historical footnote - 1968 GCA

Since we are discussing the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 and the provision that bars individuals from crossing a state line to buy a handgun outside their state of residence without FFL transfer, I thought I'd comment on the origin of this aspect of the law.

In 1968 several cities in the northeast, especially New York City, had high crime rates and were blaming their problem on the ease of buying a handgun in southern states and moving said gun to the northeast. There were underground handgun dealers who made a business of buying southern guns and selling them at a large markup to northern criminals. The Congress, heavily influenced by northeastern liberals, passed the 1968 GCA with this handgun provision. And this has been the law ever since.

Ironically, Mayor Bloomberg of New York City is today whining about the same "problem", and wants more Federal laws to "stop the flow of handguns" from the south to the north.

I believe he has filed law suits against some Southern State FFL's for what are "Straw Purchases". Which... in actuality, the FFL has no part in. The "Straw Purchaser" is, in actuality, the guilty party... but that didn't stop the filing of a lawsuit.

VIP Member
    Jayhawk,

What did you think of the show? I thought it was pretty good even with the folks that bailed due to the weather. Met Jim Supica and a few other S&W fans there. Saw some nice S&W revolvers and a lot of M1s and 1903s. All in all I liked it better than the one a few weeks ago. This had more informative displays and folks who were there to do more than just sell, which I sometimes prefer.

Hope you got there and back home safely. It was slick out, but not real bad for me.

Scott:

Actually, I was very let down. I thought it was a gun show, not a gun museum. Since Kansas City has very few gun stores, I was hoping to see some handguns that I don't see at Cabelas, et al. Well, I guess I did see a lot of guns that you don't see at the stores because most of them were 60+ years old. Hopefully, this is not the typical gun show in the midwest. If it is, it may have been my first and last.

I didn't have any problems with the weather driving conditions. I live in the Overland Park area and I-435 was just fine. In fact, I stopped by Cabelas after leaving the show.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

I am not sure what show you were at but I can say that it is not typical of gun shows here in the mid west. There are a lot of smaller shows that while small have everything you have come to expect from a gun show. Lots and lots of guns, lots of ammo, some crap that I do not know why they let in and of course a few good deals.

Wichita has several every year but one of them, I will have to check which one, is a pretty big one. Then of course right down the road in Tulsa is the biggest gun show in the world.........

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    FWIW 27 and 28 Jan 07, there will be a gun show in Topeka, Ks.
    U.S. Collectors They usually have lots of stuff for sale, even tools and such. Tools at a gun show, next, there will be someone with baseball cards there.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
    Scott:

Actually, I was very let down. I thought it was a gun show, not a gun museum. Since Kansas City has very few gun stores, I was hoping to see some handguns that I don't see at Cabelas, et al. Well, I guess I did see a lot of guns that you don't see at the stores because most of them were 60+ years old. Hopefully, this is not the typical gun show in the midwest. If it is, it may have been my first and last.

I didn't have any problems with the weather driving conditions. I live in the Overland Park area and I-435 was just fine. In fact, I stopped by Cabelas after leaving the show.
    Go to the one at the same place February 17-18 by RK shows. That should be the modern gun and ammo selling shows. Plenty of ARs, AK clones, handguns etc. at that one. The last one they did was two weeks ago at the Three Trails center at 87 and 435 on the east side of KC. The one this weekend was a "collectors" show and it was what I expected. Vintage stuff, some just for display. That was fine with me. I enjoyed it, but I'm also not shopping for a thing right now. I live north of the river so I can't help you on gun stores on the Kansas side. There are some other members from that side of the river who may be able to help.

Links