PA permit

This is a discussion on PA permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Next Friday I am driving to Erie Pa to apply for a non resident pistol permit, just because I can....and NY State is sooo close ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: PA permit

PA permit

Next Friday I am driving to Erie Pa to apply for a non resident pistol permit, just because I can....and NY State is sooo close to PA. Why not....
    Kennydale and locotest like this.
    Doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you win.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by calamityjane38 View Post
    Next Friday I am driving to Erie Pa to apply for a non resident pistol permit, just because I can....and NY State is sooo close to PA. Why not....
    Do you have a NY permit?
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

I live ten minutes from the NY line.
    Too bad it doesn't work the other way around
    I for one would like to see "sanctions" (so to speak) placed against the state of NY to prevent their residents from being able to get carry permits in PA and neighboring states. Lean on the state a little so they allow other states to get non-resident NY permits if they hold one in a neighboring state.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I for one would like to see "sanctions" (so to speak) placed against the state of NY to prevent their residents from being able to get carry permits in PA and neighboring states. Lean on the state a little so they allow other states to get non-resident NY permits if they hold one in a neighboring state.
    I wouldn't deny anybody a permit who can pass the same NCIS check required to buy a handgun. Especially residents of communist countries like MD, NH, RI, DC, NJ, etc. NYS, outside of the NYC area, isn't too bad. The process takes a long time, and compared to PA is quite expensive (inexpensive compared to IL) but permits are available to residents. There is no way I'd deny an NYS resident with a permit an opportunity to get a non-resident PA permit.

PA's reciprocity has gone in the toilet thanks to our rabidly anti-gun, anti-2A Attorney General.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I wouldn't deny anybody a permit who can pass the same NCIS check required to buy a handgun. Especially residents of communist countries like MD, NH, RI, DC, NJ, etc. NYS, outside of the NYC area, isn't too bad. The process takes a long time, and compared to PA is quite expensive (inexpensive compared to IL) but permits are available to residents. There is no way I'd deny an NYS resident with a permit an opportunity to get a non-resident PA permit.

PA's reciprocity has gone in the toilet thanks to our rabidly anti-gun, anti-2A Attorney General.

Fitch
    I understand what you are saying, Fitch, and personally would not like to see a person's rights denied.
    But my feelings won't change. It is not fair for it not to work the other way. Such is life.
    PA is too much of a money grubber not to accept a non-resident's money anyway. That's why we have our own background check.

TRX
    I for one would like to see "sanctions" (so to speak) placed against the state of NY to prevent their residents from being able to get carry permits in PA and neighboring states
    I wouldn't. That kind of tit-for-tat seldom helps anyone.

The state of Arkansas recently amended its firearms laws; now any person lawfully in the United States may obtain an Arkansas CHCL if they've met the residency requirements for Arkansas. Which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I understand how you feel. People don't understand being in the Bamuda triangle. We are surrounded by MD, NY AND NJ, anyone of these States will destroy our lives if we ever got caught carrying. The real bad part, there are parts of PA, you can drive into NJ or MD and not realize it.I have done it while riding my motorcycle. There are no signs , the only way you will know, the street signs are different, by then it's too late.
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank19119 View Post
    I understand how you feel. People don't understand being in the Bamuda triangle. We are surrounded by MD, NY AND NJ, anyone of these States will destroy our lives if we ever got caught carrying. The real bad part, there are parts of PA, you can drive into NJ or MD and not realize it.I have done it while riding my motorcycle. There are no signs , the only way you will know, the street signs are different, by then it's too late.
    "Bamuda triangle". I love it, lol.
    Been there done that on my bike. That's why I recently said that when I went riding it was definitely one of the times I did not carry. And I've broke down in some places I would have felt a lot more secure if I would have been able to purchase a non-resident permit. I'm not asking to carry in NYC, just Dunkirk would be nice. It's ridiculous.
    Hank19119 likes this.

Did you check to make sure that they issue non-resident permits. Even though they are supposed to, not all sheriffs issue non-res LTCFs.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Hank19119 View Post
    Do you have a NY permit?
    Yes I do, since 1993.

Our little dictator of a governor would probably eliminate all pistol permits from the natives, before he would do that. I have been licensed to carry in New York State for 21 years. This current regime has done a number on 2a, it is a travesty.
    PAcanis and locotest like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Did you check to make sure that they issue non-resident permits. Even though they are supposed to, not all sheriffs issue non-res LTCFs.
    Went to that county sheriff website, and got the information. They are a shall issue State, so unless they can find a good reason not too, it has to be issued in 45 days.

Went to that county sheriff website, and got the information. They are a shall issue State, so unless they can find a good reason not too, it has to be issued in 45 days.
    That may be true, but a number of counties simply don't accept applications for non-resident permits, despite being required to by law. (They tend to claim they do t have the manpower to handle the volume.)

If the accept the application, you'll probably have it in a couple weeks. (Mine took 12 days, to reach my mailbox.)
    Badey likes this.

Suit yourself. I was just trying to save you a possibly wasted trip.

Not all sheriffs process nonresident applications. If Erie doesn't, there is probably a sheriff in a nearby county that does, but you'll find that out one way or another...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Next Friday I am driving to Erie Pa to apply for a non resident pistol permit, just because I can...
    Don't forget to take your scout sash so you can display it with your other merit badges.
    calamityjane38 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links