Need some help about pistol permit and charges

This is a discussion on Need some help about pistol permit and charges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope i am posting this in the right place. Sorry i am nee to the site and are still trying to get a hang ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Need some help about pistol permit and charges

Need some help about pistol permit and charges

I hope i am posting this in the right place. Sorry i am nee to the site and are still trying to get a hang of it.

I live in NC

I will soon be turning 21 and would like to get a pistol purchase permit. I need to know if my previous charges will prevent me from getting it.

I was charged with Discharge of Firearm (it was an airsoft gun) this charge was dismissed after doing community service

I was also charged with 2 counts of simple assault. I was however never convicted and the charges where dropped but i believe it still shows up on my record. Will this prevent me from getting a purchase permit?

This all happened years ago when i was 17 although in NC i don't think that matters.

Also if any of this will prevent me from getting a pistol purchase permit. Will expunging my record make a difference at all or not?

Thank you for your help and contributions. I really appreciate it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I can tell you're from North Carolina by your accent. Welcome. Hope you work things out.
    OldVet likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    So, in NC an air gun is defined as a firearm?

Usually what counts are convictions, not charges. Did you plead guilty to something?

Im not really sure on the difference other then i never had to actually go to court for the simple assuast charges. However i had a lawyer who had apparently talked to the DA before i even walked in to see him and said he had the whole thing dropped. But it does still show up on my record as being charged. And about the air soft gun...it was a town ordinance that i had not been informed off. I was 17 and town ordinances were not really something they inform us 17 year old about. Honestly it was the stupidest possible thing to get criminal charges for. I was shooting at a target for christ sake in my friends back yard with him.

It appears that the requirements for a purchase permit vary widely by county. I think your best bet is to contact the sheriff's office and ask. But I'd be pretty surprised if dismissed charges as a minor would make any difference.
    RickyD likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

There's a good chance that they may come back to haunt you when you try to get a pistol purchase permit but as said earlier every sheriff has their own formula for determining worthiness.

Let us know what county you're in and that may get you a better answer.

Also, what statutes number you were charged with.

As a side note, you don't have to wait till your 21 for a pistol purchase permit. You can get one if you're 18 or older. You can't buy from a licensed dealer but you can buy from private individuals in NC (if they don't mind selling to someone under 21).

You may want to go ahead and apply for a PPP and see what happens.

You may be better off getting your concealed carry permit since it doesn't appear at first blush that the charges you had would disqualify you but again, would help to know what statute numbers you were charged with.
    scottync likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Thank you for the good response. I am in the Pitt county area. I think i am going to go imto the sherrifs office and talk to them about what options i have. My charges however occured in Wake county. I don't know if that matters or not as it was still in NC. As for the statute numbers. I am not sure of those. I will have to look into it and get back to you. Thank you again for the help

I will go for a ccp as soon as i learn how to shoot the gun. The gun i want to invest in is the s&w shield 9mm which is perfect for concealed carry.

Distinguished Member
    Probably quickest and cheapest way to find out is to apply for pistol purchase permit in Pitt County. You should find out pretty quick. Good luck!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    It appears that the requirements for a purchase permit vary widely by county. I think your best bet is to contact the sheriff's office and ask. But I'd be pretty surprised if dismissed charges as a minor would make any difference.
    ^^^This^^^

There is no reason not to contact the sheriff and see what they say. It is the only way to really know anyway and there is no harm - the worst that can happen is that they tell you you're disqualified or have some further requirements.

Incidentally, what communist anti-2A idiots came up with the law requiring a permit to purchase a handgun? I would expect more from NC.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    17 is years ago to a 20 year old? Man, wait until you hit your sixties!

Foremost, I would contact a lawyer rather than a sheriff. Despite what you think, LEOs are not necessarily the "experts" on law matters. Personally, I agree with the "convicted" aspect. No conviction, no foul. But a sheriff may think otherwise (which is why I am against local sheriffs have the yea/nay powers on permits).
    oldman45 and Gimme_Coffee like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    ^^^This^^^

There is no reason not to contact the sheriff and see what they say. It is the only way to really know anyway and there is no harm - the worst that can happen is that they tell you you're disqualified or have some further requirements.

Incidentally, what communist anti-2A idiots came up with the law requiring a permit to purchase a handgun? I would expect more from NC.
    As an aside, in Iowa you have to have a permit to purchase handguns, $5 a year. Or a permit to carry. $50 for 5 years, $25 for 5 year renewal.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

As far as Pistol Purchase Permits in NC. I know even back in 1972, I was required to buy a permit and back then the local sheriff had total control on permits. We were only allowed two for a lifetime in the County I lived in. I'm sure glad that changed.

I am working with lawyers now to have my record expunged but in NC that can be a lengthy and expensive process. Im looking at just over $1000. �� to a 20 year old college student. that is a lot of money.. Anyways within the next few days I will probably have my answer. Get 2 paychecks this week so should have the money for permits soon. I will probably contact the sheriffs office and ask them. When i get it figured out i will post back on here and let yall know.

Links