IL Prohibited Place Question

This is a discussion on IL Prohibited Place Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I asked a local LEO if he thought it was ok to carry on a local bike trail. He said since it was under the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: IL Prohibited Place Question

IL Prohibited Place Question

I asked a local LEO if he thought it was ok to carry on a local bike trail. He said since it was under the control of the park district, probably not. The trail is not within a park but does pass through a couple parks. Below is the excerpt from the IL law under Prohibited Places

(13) Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.

2. Remove Ads

Good luck deciphering the convoluted Illinois carry law. I've spoken about the details with both an experienced Illinois State Attorney AND a veteran Illinois State Trooper, and neither...were SURE.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    In other words...No you can't.
    Hey!...it's Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by rcoslow View Post
    I asked a local LEO if he thought it was ok to carry on a local bike trail. He said since it was under the control of the park district, probably not. The trail is not within a park but does pass through a couple parks. Below is the excerpt from the IL law under Prohibited Places

(13) Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.
    Sounds to me like you're good to go.
    Ghost1958 and CIBMike like this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

My instructor said specifically that if the bike trail is completely contained in a park or forest preserve, then no. If it crosses public streets, then yes.
    That was his interpretation, and he is certified by the Illinois State Police. Good enough for me.
    I won't argue religion, politics, abortion, or guns. It won't change your mind no matter how right I am.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    My instructor taught the same thing. You are good to go.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by 95Bravo View Post
    My instructor said specifically that if the bike trail is completely contained in a park or forest preserve, then no. If it crosses public streets, then yes.
    That was his interpretation, and he is certified by the Illinois State Police. Good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    My instructor taught the same thing. You are good to go.
    Ditto. Was told the same by my instructor.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

If you're just passing through then you are fine. Some of these bike paths should require law abiding folks to carry at all times.
    sdprof likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoslow View Post

Judging from your post, without further research, I'd say your legal.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You are fine. One caution. If the bike trail goes through the Cook County Forest Preserve, you may have a problem.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Prohibited Places

dang..........
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

According to my trainer (vet and current LEO) and everything I've read, CCW is banned in parks except on bike paths that extend beyond park boundaries or (and this is the stupid part) if you are crossing the park to get to your home, car or job. So, you can walk across Horner Park to get to your car, but not get to a churro from a vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by hick63 View Post
    According to my trainer (vet and current LEO) and everything I've read, CCW is banned in parks except on bike paths that extend beyond park boundaries or (and this is the stupid part) if you are crossing the park to get to your home, car or job. So, you can walk across Horner Park to get to your car, but not get to a churro from a vendor.
    Thinking that concealed carry is banned in parks is a safe approach. However, if you find yourself out on a walk you can still follow your path/trail through a prohibited park (not a vet, nor a LEO but you can find misinformed in every group of people).

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Good luck deciphering the convoluted Illinois carry law. I've spoken about the details with both an experienced Illinois State Attorney AND a veteran Illinois State Trooper, and neither...were SURE.
    Don't ask state troopers about gun laws, ask 3 of them and you'll get 4 different answers because one will change his mind half way through his answer. It doesn't sound like your states attorney is much better. You're good on the trail the law says.

Well I'm trying to avoid situations where I could be wrongly arrested or accused, lose my gun for a month and have to argue with a states attorney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links