Retired with a CCW

This is a discussion on Retired with a CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I get older, I tend to go into bad places at bad times a lot less than when I was younger. Heck, I donít ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired with a CCW

Retired with a CCW

As I get older, I tend to go into bad places at bad times a lot less than when I was younger. Heck, I donít seem to go anywhere all that often. This should decrease my need for personal protection, butÖ
    Sometimes jobs, going to the store, or traveling put you in places that are less than secure. It is unavoidable. Also, I canít out-fight as many people as I could at age 20, or 30, or 40, or even 50, and I canít out-run them either. However, I can still shoot straight!

2. Remove Ads

I am retired and I don't leave home without it!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Ron
    Me, too. I think that as we get older we look more like easy prey to potential BG, so that may make it even more important that we always carry everwhere that it is legal to do so. I know that I do.

Ron

Lead Moderator
    That's one of the reasons that when I retire I'll be retiring to a "carry friendly" state.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I'm retired and turn 52 on Monday and will be carrying for many more years!

Assistant Administrator
    This is sound thinking IMO and what I follow, even tho perhaps ''semi'' retired only. I do still work.

I am fortunate to be able to work from home and so in truth am rarely ''out there'' a whole lot where it might be said is where the risks lie. Bottom line is - risks can be any time any place, including at home - ''we cannot make appointments for emergencies''!!

I am fortunately still even at close to 62 (as told by wife ) a fairly intimidating looking guy but also when out and about endevor to not only keep awareness high but let that be obvious to observers. True, they might see my apparent age as a good reason to consider me for victim but I doubt I wear a ''victim sign'' like so many folks I notice.

I also avoid bad places like the plague but am aware too of my physical limitations. I sure cannot run so fast or for so long - in fact reduced stamina is a major factor I am aware of. I also carry 16/7 which avoids that awful day ever coming where I really need my gun and on reaching down there is a severe ''oops'' moment as it is found to be missing, thru having forgotten to strap it on - that time.

IMO - a guy either wants to protect himself and his family - or not. Just that for me there is no half measure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree. I think that as people age they start to look more and more like easy targets to the scum out there. That is why I think every person who can should carry for their own protection.

And as far as not going to seedy areas as much when you get older, I do not go into the bad parts of town now unless I it is required of me for work or something and then I am carrying.
    I stay away from places where it is more likely that I may be targeted by the scum. But, even just going to the store in our little town or to the video store, the gas station, out to eat, or whatever, does not completely insulate me from the long reach of violent crime. It can touch you anywhere and at the strangest times. Even at home which is why I carry even when at home.

We have had the bad luck of having someone try to kick our door in several years ago when we lived in the country in Alabama. Even way out in the sticks does not keep the scum from targeting you.

Carry always, always be ready.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Same here i'am 52, but i'am 6'2 245. but heck i'am so stiff and all my joint's hurt, i could'nt whip my way out of a paper bag. that's the main reason i got my ccw. plus last feb. i had a guy come in my house at 1.30 am, by the time i found my shotgun,<witch i had no ammo> an made it down stair's he'd left. thank's to my jackrussell. and it did change the way i think!!!!!

I,m retired and always armed. The decision to get attacked isn't ours , so its better to be armed and aware then an Old Goat (I have never been a sheep).

Retired and pushing 60, I find that as I age and begin to look more like easy prey I also have gotten much wiser--I don't knowingly go into unsavory areas, but carry to protect myself from unsavory characters coming onto my turf....

When I think of all the dangerous and stupid things I did in my younger years, especially those in the Army, I am truly thankful to be alive.

Administrator

Bad Places

It's important to remember that any GOOD place can instantly become a very bad place if a bad person is there in that normally good place.

I can't wait until I retire in Georgia with the Mrs. Here's to 40-50 years from now!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I can't wait until I retire in Georgia with the Mrs. Here's to 40-50 years from now!
    Don't worry, Nate, it will be here before you know it. That is the really scary thing.

Ron

You Are Among Friends...

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    As I get older, I tend to go into bad places at bad times a lot less than when I was younger. Heck, I donít seem to go anywhere all that often. This should decrease my need for personal protection, butÖ
    Sometimes jobs, going to the store, or traveling put you in places that are less than secure. It is unavoidable. Also, I canít out-fight as many people as I could at age 20, or 30, or 40, or even 50, and I canít out-run them either. However, I can still shoot straight!
    Your story brings a tear to my eye..."There IS someone else like me..."

The only BG's who can out run us, are those who can run 1,200 feet per second...

Talk very softly and carry a 1911!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Im retired for two years now and carried for many years. The nature of my job has taken me to some very bad areas. My wife used to think it was silly and wanted to know why I needed a gun. Sinse a buddy and I were attacked on a fishing trip and a girl and guy tried to rob me while I was working in a bad area , she has changed her mind. Now when we go any where she always makes sure I have a gun. Now Im working on her getting a ccw. Wish me luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links