ccw while hunting-kentucky

This is a discussion on ccw while hunting-kentucky within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure i read somewhere that it is illegal to carry concealed while hunting in Kentucky. I have searched for hours for info on this ...

Thread: ccw while hunting-kentucky

VIP Member

I'm sure i read somewhere that it is illegal to carry concealed while hunting in Kentucky. I have searched for hours for info on this and cant find any. If it is illegal , it should be listed in the "restricted carry zones" like everywhere else is..I emailed Fish and Wildlife but havent heard back..

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I'm sure i read somewhere that it is illegal to carry concealed while hunting in Kentucky. I have searched for hours for info on this and cant find any. If it is illegal , it should be listed in the "restricted carry zones" like everywhere else is..I emailed Fish and Wildlife but havent heard back..
    robere,
    I waterfowl hunt in a WMA known as a dope growing area. I always CC when I'm hunting there. The real challenge is figuring out how to carry in a way that will allow access when needed...in chest waders.
    Dave

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Well it is just not fair to the deer if you walk up to them and they can not see the gun, that is why you have to wear florescent orange. I think they should also outlaw those camo deer stands!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member
    Maybe i should specify. I bow hunt. But even if I gun hunted, I dont think its legal to carry a concealed firearm while hunting if the firearm isnt used for hunting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    robere,
    I waterfowl hunt in a WMA known as a dope growing area. I always CC when I'm hunting there. The real challenge is figuring out how to carry in a way that will allow access when needed...in chest waders.
    Dave
    Airedale , You carry, but do you know if its legal??

In the hunting and trapping guide 2006-2007 page 13 first column under archery season it says that a concealed carry permit does NOT allow you to carry a modern firearm during archery-only season.

Hope this helps.

Sean

As I read further it also doesn't allow it for crossbow season or muzzle loading season

Can't find anything for turkey season

if its concealed properly.... whats the problem? hard to prove you'd be hunting with a snubnose or subcompact unscoped auto. havent yet read the laws for ken-tuck, (embarassing, considering i was born there and rode more equine in the danville/lex area than anywhere else), but if you've got a bow in your hand, hunting license in your pocket, im pretty sure you arent required to inform DNR representives of your CCW status.

Sounds like a loophole. Personally I'd contact your local game warden and see how he feels about it since he'd be the one to challenge you.

Anyway, I understand wanting to follow the hunting laws, I've never poached anything and won't, but you aren't required to inform LEO's here unless they ask to see your permit, so concealed is concealed.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpcif View Post
    In the hunting and trapping guide 2006-2007 page 13 first column under archery season it says that a concealed carry permit does NOT allow you to carry a modern firearm during archery-only season.

Hope this helps.

Sean
    Thanks, Ive lost my hunting guide, thats where i was going to look for info. So now I know its illegal , but its my call rather i carry.
    I do hunt Ky , but I hunt in the Peoples Republic of Illinois too. I dont think I'll take a chance with Illinois..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    if its concealed properly.... whats the problem? hard to prove you'd be hunting with a snubnose or subcompact unscoped auto. havent yet read the laws for ken-tuck, (embarassing, considering i was born there and rode more equine in the danville/lex area than anywhere else), but if you've got a bow in your hand, hunting license in your pocket, im pretty sure you arent required to inform DNR representives of your CCW status.
    Theres no problem. The question was rather its legal or not.. Now I know its my call..

Links