GOA Alert on HR418 National ID Card

This is a discussion on GOA Alert on HR418 National ID Card within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; National ID Cards Coming Up For A Vote This Week -- Threats to gun owners' privacy are a huge concern Gun Owners of America E-Mail ...

Thread: GOA Alert on HR418 National ID Card

VIP Member

National ID Cards Coming Up For A Vote This Week
    -- Threats to gun owners' privacy are a huge concern

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408 http://www.gunowners.org

Wednesday, February 9, 2005

The National ID card is back in the news, as Congress is getting set once again to debate the issue.

You will remember that late last year, Congress passed (and the President signed) legislation which starts us down the road to a National ID card. In the name of preventing alien terrorists from operating in this country, the so-called Intelligence Reform bill gave federal bureaucrats unprecedented new powers to force changes in state-issued driver's licenses -- including, possibly, the addition of computer chip technology that can facilitate the tracking of all U.S. citizens.

Now, the House will be debating new legislation, H.R. 418, that was recently introduced by Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-WI). In considering this bill, the U.S. House will vote on whether to empower the federal government to determine who can get a driver's license -- and under what conditions.

Since you need a driver's license to purchase a gun from a dealer, this will give BATFE the expanded ability to impose even greater forms of gun control -- something which it has long coveted. This will become even more apparent if an anti-gun Democrat like Hillary Clinton wins the presidency in 2008.

H.R. 418 is, unfortunately, supported by many Republicans who believe that repealing our liberties will somehow make us "secure."
    But GOA
    joined a large coalition of citizen-activist organizations this week in opposition to H.R. 418. In a letter to Congress, the coalition
    stated:

"Standardization of driver's licenses has long been recognized as a bureaucratic back-door to implementation of a national ID card. With its required linking of databases and ability of the Secretary of Homeland Security to require a prescribed format, HR 418 takes us well along that road. Concerns are further heightened when the bill fails to even provide lip service to privacy concerns, and proposes to share all of our data on the driver's license database with Canada and Mexico."

Realizing government's tendency towards mission creep, no one should be surprised if this database grows to contain far more information than that which is relevant to driving. HR 418 requires that the database shall contain "at a minimum," all information contained on the driver's license as well as driving history. There is no limit to what other information may eventually be contained in the database -- something which should definitely concern gun owners.

H.R. 418 is being touted as a way of cleaning up some of the problems with the law that was enacted last December. But this bill is still an attack on states' rights. It still takes us down the road to a National ID card. And it would still do nothing to keep real terrorists from operating in our country.

ACTION: Please contact your Representative and urge him or her to oppose H.R. 418. You can use the pre-written message below and send it as an e-mail by visiting the GOA Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm (where phone and fax numbers are also available).

-----Pre-written letter-----

Dear Representative:

H.R. 418 would give the federal government open-ended authority to determine who may and may not get a driver's license -- and under what circumstances.

Since I need a driver's license to purchase a gun from a dealer, BATFE would finally have its long-coveted tool to impose gun control on targeted groups -- particularly under a liberal anti-gun administration.

If you believe in the Second Amendment, please vote against this anti-gun monstrosity.

Sincerely,

Please do not reply directly to this message, as your reply will bounce back as undeliverable.

To subscribe to free, low-volume GOA alerts, go to http://www.gunowners.org/ean.htm on the web. Change of e-mail address may also be made at that location.

To unsubscribe send a message to gunowners_list@capwiz.mailmanager.net with the word unsubscribe in the subject line or use the url below.

Problems, questions or comments? The main GOA e-mail address goamail@gunowners.org is at your disposal. Please do not add that address to distribution lists sending more than ten messages per week or lists associated with issues other than gun rights.

---
    You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time by visiting http://capwiz.com/gunowners/lmx/u/?jobid=50212606.

I have BIG problems with the factual aspects of this email. You don't need a DL to purchase a firearm from a dealer - never have. Any state-issued ID will suffice, including salesman or whatever. Also, having read the text of the proposed bill, most of the rest of it's as pulled out of thin air.

I hate it when our side is wrong too.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I have BIG problems with the factual aspects of this email. You don't need a DL to purchase a firearm from a dealer - never have. Any state-issued ID will suffice, including salesman or whatever. Also, having read the text of the proposed bill, most of the rest of it's as pulled out of thin air.

I hate it when our side is wrong too.

I agree, this is a tough issue. I've always used my concealed weapon license to purchase my firearms, but then again i did need my drivers license to get it. In one hand this bill helps to make it nearly impossible for illeagal, undocumented people from gettting a DL, which i think is VERY good, but it also puts us gun owners on a sort of "watch list." I want to read this over more, & understand it better.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Links