Keeping an extra mag in the Pocket or Mag carrier

This is a discussion on Keeping an extra mag in the Pocket or Mag carrier within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you carry, do you use a mag pouch/carrier or do you just put it in your front pocket. Right now I keep it in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When you carry, do you use a mag pouch/carrier or do you just put it in your front pocket. Right now I keep it in my front pocket but i'm considering buying a mag pouch for concealment.

What are you opinions?

I'm also looking for a good concealable mag pouch for a 226 40.S&W mag

Any recommendations?

I use a mag pouch for my reloads. I have carried in the front pocket on one occasion (when I was going tuckable and my mag pouch would have been a little obvious). If I were regularly carrying in the front pocket I'd be a little concerned about the top round in the mag becoming dislodged and causing a misfeed if I had to load the extra mag. It might be good to go with some sort of pocket mag carrier if you plan to carry that way.

mag pouch i use a don hume for my 226

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolman1974 View Post
    When you carry, do you use a mag pouch/carrier or do you just put it in your front pocket. Right now I keep it in my front pocket but i'm considering buying a mag pouch for concealment.

What are you opinions?

I carry a spare Glock 22 mag for my Glock 27, in a DeSantis nylon IWB holster. It has an elastic slot along the top edge of the holster. I like the arrangement: I don't have to carry a separate mag holder.

Rocky on this forum makes a nice in pocket mag carrier in Kydex. Use mine daily!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Ok, I'll bite.

I just throw a spare either in a front pocket or in a coat pocket if I'm wearing one. Seems to work ok for me when I train and I feel comfortable when I'm out and about.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member
    I use a magazine pouch. If I need it, I want it quickly and without fumbling around.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    It depends.... Some tighter fitting pants will strip off the top round as I move around. The loose fitting pants don't keep the mag in the correct position I like to find it during a reload. So, I really should use a carrier all the time, but I will admit that most times I'm lazy and just toss a spare mag in my pocket.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I use SmartCarry for a full-size Ruger 944 and a spare mag...works for me! Can't see anything! And I like carrying a full-size weapon and spare mag all the time...

Regards

JoelG
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

I always got a spare mag in pocket or belt holder.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Rocky on this forum makes a nice in pocket mag carrier in Kydex. Use mine daily!
    +1 on this. I have a custom one he made me that carries 2 mags. I keep it in my back pocket weak side. I find it easier than having mags on the belt and reload time to not be affected very much at all.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

OK, Iíll probably generate some negative responses by posting this, but Iíll share a personal bias. If youíre going to carry a gun and related equipment, you should do it as if your life may depend on using it surely and quickly in a high-stress, time-critical situation. You should also practice with what you carry in the mode you usually carry it in order to determine if it will work in these circumstances.

If you carry your spare mag in a pocket or someplace other than a non-dominant-side mag pouch, you may be putting yourself at an unneeded disadvantage when you need to reload surely and quickly. In order to perform a quick, sure reload you need to have your spare mag in a place where its position and orientation are consistently the same, and itís quickly accessible without taking your dominant hand off your gun.

My personal rule of thumb is if there is more than a four second gap between my last shot prior to the reload and my first shot after the reload, itís taken too long. I can do this from a pouch, but not from a pocket.

Concerning the concealability of mag pouches, try to find some that donít hang down much below the bottom of your belt, and theyíll be relatively easy to conceal. I often use a couple of individual BladeTec pouches with the quick-detach belt loops because they ride relatively high and I can adjust their positions independantly.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I can reload in under 4 seconds too. By the time the first mag is empty my spare mag is in my weak hand, regardless of where I kept it.

Of course, this is in training only. Perhaps in a real situation I will panic, fall apart, grope pathetically in a pocket for a mag, take my eyes from the battle, hold the gun between my knees while I check my other pocket, etc.

My training shows that I can competently reload and I will trust in my training.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I'm all for the mag pouch. The only time I dont use one is when I have my BUG (Walther PPKS) in a coat pocket, then the spare mag goes in the other pocket.

For my primary gun (Para Ord 1911)I have an 'uncle mikes' nylon pouch with a velcro flap. It looks like a flash light holster and no one notices it, even when its worn openly with the gun IWB. For the walther I use a 'leatherman tool' leather holster. Every one (even other folks who carry and shoot alot) assumes its a multi-tool, not a mag.

AE

In the past I have not carried a extra mag. I always figured 16 rounds of .40 cal should do the trick. However I have changed my mind and will be ordering a mag carrier for my non strong side. I thought about carrying in my pocket but I am worried about all the lint in my jeans getting inside the mag and then into my weapon, not good if you ask me. I believe it is much better to carry on my belt and will also make for a quicker reload. Just what I plan on doing.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links