Strange Situation, your thoughts....

This is a discussion on Strange Situation, your thoughts.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to lunch today at a local sandwich shop. The restaurant has a sign stating "no weapons", I was fine with that as I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Situation, your thoughts....

Strange Situation, your thoughts....

I went to lunch today at a local sandwich shop. The restaurant has a sign stating "no weapons", I was fine with that as I cannot carry at work anyway. While eating my sandwich I notice 3 men sitting at a nearby table. One of the guys is printing really bad through he shirt. Not a big deal in and of itself as I am sure no one else noticed. However one of the other guys was wearing a small pistol (looked like a baby Glock) in an OWB holster. His shirt was tucked in all the way around his waist EXCEPT for where the gun was. There he had simply untucked part of his shirt tail and covered the butt end of the pistol. The barrel and the bottom part of the holster was clearly exposed (it was a "slide" type holster).

My first thought was that they were LEOs and that it was all cool. However the more I observed the more convinced I became that they were not LEOs, no radios, no sign of cuffs and more importantly no badges/credentials were visible.

My question to all of you is, what would you have done? I didn't do anything and I am not sure if I should have. They certainly did not present any kind of threat or anything like that. They were just eating lunch. A part of me wanted to talk to the gentleman who was carrying his gun "open" which is a no no here in OK. The fact that this was a "posted" no carry location also crossed my mind. They were in violation of the law. I am NOT an LEO and I know I have no right to confront them.

Thoughts.........................

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I would have let it go, but kept an eye on them. BGs are not going to open carry like that. Maybe that guy just took his jacket off not thinking about the gun or something like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mind your business, but stay alert.

Leave 'em alone.

Do "no weapons" signs carry the force of law in OK?

I carry in places that are posted here in GA because the signs do not have any legal authority.

They very well could have been undercover law enforcement. Their job is to not look like cops. As long as they don't present a threat to me it's none of my business. I would keep a very keen eye on them though. Check your laws because here in Texas signs like that hold no water. I enjoy walking past them. I also would have been carrying, even at work(screw company policy unless your breaking the law). But everyone has to make that decision for themselves.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

As already stated, I would have kept a good eye in them, but would have said nothing. If you had worked at the establishment that would be different.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    Leave 'em alone.

Do "no weapons" signs carry the force of law in OK?
    Wouldn't matter even if they did. Your not the law so its none of your business if they carry or not. No matter where or when. Your license is for YOU to carry... not to enforce carry laws.

I think, in the end, you did the right thing by staying out of it. But I do realize that in the back of your mind was the concern of everyone that does carry to eliminate the bad ones who do... or at least wanting to make them not jeaprodize your right to carry by being idiots when they do. So its a toughy. But its not any of your business to enforce anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by keydet90 View Post
    I went to lunch today at a local sandwich shop. The restaurant has a sign stating "no weapons", I was fine with that as I cannot carry at work anyway. While eating my sandwich I notice 3 men sitting at a nearby table. One of the guys is printing really bad through he shirt. Not a big deal in and of itself as I am sure no one else noticed. However one of the other guys was wearing a small pistol (looked like a baby Glock) in an OWB holster. His shirt was tucked in all the way around his waist EXCEPT for where the gun was. There he had simply untucked part of his shirt tail and covered the butt end of the pistol. The barrel and the bottom part of the holster was clearly exposed (it was a "slide" type holster).

My first thought was that they were LEOs and that it was all cool. However the more I observed the more convinced I became that they were not LEOs, no radios, no sign of cuffs and more importantly no badges/credentials were visible.

My question to all of you is, what would you have done? I didn't do anything and I am not sure if I should have. They certainly did not present any kind of threat or anything like that. They were just eating lunch. A part of me wanted to talk to the gentleman who was carrying his gun "open" which is a no no here in OK. The fact that this was a "posted" no carry location also crossed my mind. They were in violation of the law. I am NOT an LEO and I know I have no right to confront them.

I think you have answered your own question.
    AS for the law in GA. are you saying that because you have a CCW permit you can carry on PP where signs are posted against this? I have never heard of this, usually all states claim that if a business is posted against carrying weapons it must be obeyed and considered a non carry location.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by keydet90 View Post
    They were in violation of the law. I am NOT an LEO and I know I have no right to confront them.

Sure you have a right to confront them. If they were beating a girl would you have the right? In that situation, you might have a DUTY (at least morally) to confront or at least call the po po. However, carrying in that situation, at least to me, is like running a red light. I am not going to confront or call the police as it is not a moral issue and, assuming they were not driving recklessly, it is not a real safety issue.

Same thing for the guns...I carry, so it clearly is not a moral issue to me. They were not waiving them around or acting in a threatening way, so they simply warrant attention.

The question some may ask, however, is why go to a posted no carry place in the first place? Even if you do not feel the need to protest (by not spending money there), do you feel comfortable knowing that bad guys believe the place to be a soft target?

I don't know that I would have stayed around them. I am sure I would have kept my eye on them the entire time I was there but not have confronted them about carrying. It is not what I would do, but it is their busniess. Third, I wouldn't frequent a place that is posted but I would let the managment know why they will not get my money.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Watch them until I'm finished with my sandwich and leave. Leave sooner if they start to act like they're going to misbehave.

Other than that, leave'em alone. None of my business.

In the Sooner State, the sign doesn't mean squat. If the proprietors of the premises catch you with a gun, they can ask you to leave.
    Last edited by randytulsa2; January 17th, 2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Typically poor spelling

VIP Member
    Maybe they just missed the sign & weren't very good at concealing.

I've been a couple of places & on the WAY OUT noticed the no guns signs......oops.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Not to sidetrack this thread, but if you have a concealed weapons permit and there is a sign, "No Firearms", do you leave your weapon in your car?

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Not to sidetrack this thread, but if you have a concealed weapons permit and there is a sign, "No Firearms", do you leave your weapon in your car?

Ron
    Depends on your state laws. If you don't know em learn em.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Watch them until I'm finished with my sandwich and leave. Leave sooner if they start to act like they're going to misbehave.

Other than that, leave'em along. None of my business...
    My thoughts exactly.
    Finisih my food, keep an eye on them to be sure they aren't acting up or out, leave and don't stick around for deserrt or a second cup of coffee.
    Most likely they are run of themill citizens.
    But if they aren't why run the risk of being caught up in something you don't want. Leave.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links