Do you inform a LEO that you're carrying?

This is a discussion on Do you inform a LEO that you're carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, Well, after many many years without a speeding ticket fate finally caught up with me and I got tagged on a rural country ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Do you inform a LEO that you're carrying?

Hello Everyone,

Well, after many many years without a speeding ticket fate finally caught up with me and I got tagged on a rural country road on the way home today. The officer dropped my mph over the limit down a few so the lesson is "only" $130 instead of $264. This was my first interaction with law enforcement since I began carrying and I think I did right. When he came up to the window I handed him my drivers license and my carry permit. He asked where the weapon was and I indicated that it was on my right hip. He said "you don't touch yours and I won't touch mine". Seemed like a fair deal.

So, just wondering, if an officer pulls you over do you inform him that you're carrying? I know in some states you aren't required to, but I would rather there be no mistakes. Is handing the officer your carry permit the best way to go about it? Not that big of deal, but I'm just wondering what the rest of you do when in this situation.
    BenGoodLuck and hammer1270 like this.

Yes, its mandated by law in my state....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Not unless required by law
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I just started to carry a few weeks ago, in IL you have to tell them. Regardless of what state I'm I would still tell them. That's just my opinion.
    GlockHawk17 and Texron like this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    In my state you are required to inform.I've always done like you.I give then my cwp and let LEO decide what he wants to do if anything.I've had to inform 3 times and never had any problems at all. One time i was the passenger when a friend of mine got pulled. I wasn't asked for an id so i didn't i didn't inform..Everyone has to decide what they think is the best thing to do for theirself. I choose to not say anything,unless i'm required to.

VIP Member
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

This is FL. page it says you do not need to inform , but if it works for you then it is good .

I have not been pulled over since i got my permit but i will most likely not inform in Maryland . But in reality they will know when they come up to my car if it is in my name Maryland knows .
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

It's required where I live; and, I don't have any problems with complying.

As far as where it is not a requirement to inform? I'd love to hear LEOs and former LEOs give their opinions.

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Not unless required by law
    This^^^^^^^^^^^.
    TRX, Ghost1958 and hammer1270 like this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    This^^^^^^^^^^^.

Indiana does not require it but Michigan does.Been pulled over a couple of times in Michigan in the last decade,I didn't like it but I complied just the same.
    The easy way is always mined.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Not required in FL and I wouldn't unless I was asked to exit the vehicle--and I don't know why an LEO would do that. But then some of you might have seen the FHP fiasco on the news last night when they stopped a moving van and made then unload it looking for the drugs the dog keyed on. No drugs were found and it rained all over the possessions. I never trust a drug dog as I've seen them "point" to satisfy an insistent officer.
    CommonCents likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike25 View Post
    I just started to carry a few weeks ago, in IL you have to tell them. Regardless of what state I'm I would still tell them. That's just my opinion.
    No you do not. It is upon request.

(h) If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiates an investigative stop, including but not limited to a traffic stop, of a licensee or a non-resident carrying a concealed firearm under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act, upon the request of the officer the licensee or non-resident shall disclose to the officer that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm under this Act, present the license upon the request of the officer if he or she is a licensee or present upon the request of the officer evidence under paragraph (2) of subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act that he or she is a non-resident qualified to carry under that subsection, and identify the location of the concealed firearm. During a traffic stop, any passenger within the vehicle who is a licensee or a non-resident carrying under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act must comply with the requirements of this subsection (h).
    95Bravo likes this.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

Ex Member
    Not required in Wisconsin
    dirtyfingers likes this.

VIP Member
    I have been told by my attorney not to tell ...........................only when they ask you to step out of the car . Then he said it would be in my interest to share the info. because once you are toe to toe with an officer he or she may feel more threatened .
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

I would inform by giving my permit as you did. I know if I were in the LEO's shoes, I would want to know.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I do whether it's required or not,mainly because your ccw is tied to your drivers license,so they know if you have a permit or not,so why make it look your hiding something. (that's my 2 cents,no extra charge)
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links