Spare magazines one last time

This is a discussion on Spare magazines one last time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While it is true that carrying a spare magazine gives you more ammo should you need it, that is not the most important reason to ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a spare magazine?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • I ALWAYS carry a spare magazine

115 58.97%
  • I SOMETIMES carry a spare magazine

51 26.15%
  • I carry a Back Up gun instead

5 2.56%
  • I NEVER carry a spare magazine.

24 12.31%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Spare magazines one last time

Distinguished Member

While it is true that carrying a spare magazine gives you more ammo should you need it, that is not the most important reason to carry one. I seem to have bad gun carrying friends because none carry a spare magazine. I hear things like, if I cannot do the job with 10 or 15 rounds, I am in too deep to begin with. Most seem to view carrying a spare magazine as an ammo capacity issue. It is much more valuable than that.

Those of us who are into competition shooting, usually have a box of bad magazines. All of them were good magazines, until they were not. Magazines do go bad for various reasons. Lips get bent, spring gets caught on some dirt, a bullet is too far forward, etc.. Many gun problems can be traced back to the magazines. If you just shoot at the range a few times a year, you probably can go a long time before a magazine goes bad. However, if you put your guns to hard use, odds are that you too will end up with a box of "range only" magazines.

Even if you own the best magazines in the world and they never go bad, you still need a spare. Why? The answer is easy. There are some types of jams that require you to drop your magazine to clear. If you shoot enough, you probably had to remove your magazine a few times to get that stupid stuck bullet out of your gun. Double feeds are a good example. It is no problem at the range. You drop you magazine onto the counter and take care of the jam. Then you reinsert the mag and are good to go.

Now picture trying to do this under fire. One hand holds the gun. One hand holds the ejected magazine. One hand, wait, we only have two hands. Maybe I can pry those stuck rounds loose with my tongue. :) Are you starting to see the picture? How about this, if you get a jam that requires you to remove your magazine, is it smarter to reinsert the same magazine that had the problem or maybe better to use a spare magazine? Personally I rather not risk using the same magazine that was in my gun when it jammed. I rather use a fresh magazine instead.

Have any of you accidently hit the mag release by accident and watched your magazine bounce off the ground? It sometimes happens when someone is trying to kill you and you do not have time for a textbook grip or stance. It can be argued that your magazine is the weakest link in your gun. Some see a magazine as just an ammo storage container but it is a very important part of your gun. All sorts of problems can arise that make using a spare magazine a much easier and safer option than trying to deal with your one and only magazine.

Having used a handgun in combat and competition, and had to use my spare magazine for reasons other than needing more rounds, I feel that I am not armed going out without a spare magazine. It would be like making an important trip without a spare tire. I have had brand new tires go flat on me when they picked up a nail on the road. I consider that spare tire, a vital piece of equipment in my car and never leave home without it. Same goes for my spare magazine. I rather not try to juggle a mag and gun while somehow getting a stuck bullet or two out of the gun. Much easier to drop the mag, clear the jam with my now free hand and insert a new magazine. I will not risk reusing a magazine that may be the cause of my jam as it may jam again. Why take the chance?

Carrying a spare magazine does not have to be as complicated as some make it with special magazine carriers both horizontal and vertical. Plus they can be expensive in leather. Personally, if I carry a magazine on my belt, it prints bad. I can conceal a 1911 but not a single spare magazine. I never tried IWB magazine carriers though but who wants a mag poking me in the side plus I would have to lift my shirt to get at it and only have one hand available to do that. I pocket carry my spare magazines.

I find that the DeSantis Nemesis pocket magazine holsters work great for me. I put it into my left front pocket along with my wallet and handkerchief. The Nemesis holds it in the proper position so that when I lift it out of my pocket, it is oriented properly for easy insertion with the bullets pointing in the right direction. However, how you carry is not really the issue. The issue is the importance of having a spare magazine on you for more than just extra ammo.

Unless you have trained in the self defense use of a gun, which range practice does not come close to duplicating, or competed, you may not be aware of usefulness of a spare magazine. Those of us with a box or two of bad magazines, already know and consider a spare magazine as a very important part of being prepared for self defense. Gun owners spend all sorts of money on titanium guide rods, Wolf Springs and all sorts of things to make their guns more reliable and yet, do not carry a spare magazine which is probably the most likely to cause you problems.

To each their own but I cannot carry a gun without a spare magazine. For me, it is taking an unnecessary risk and feeling that my gun is incomplete. To rely on a single magazine is for braver men than me. Sound off on your feelings about this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Murphy was an optimist. I carry a primary with a spare magazine or two and a pocket BUG with a spare magazine.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I bet you're wrong every time you post something with a "One last time" caption. I also predict a 75% on the "I sometimes carry a spare magazine" option.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I bet you're wrong every time you post something with a "One last time" caption. I also predict a 75% on the "I sometimes carry a spare magazine" option.

I will go with the under.
    Recon1342 and leprechaun50 like this.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I will go with the under.
    Oh, it's on. Loser has to add a "I love Tiberius" line to their signature for a month.

Edit: Or "I love Maggie" now... didn't see that coming from a mile away.
    Last edited by Brad426; September 6th, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I don't carry a spare mag...

I carry two spare mags!
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    I don't carry a spare mag...

I carry two spare mags!
    +1 on this. I always carry two spare mags except in the shower...
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

The only time I don't carry a spare magazine for my primary handgun is when I am carrying two speed loaders for my revolver.
    Recon1342, Bad Bob and Ksgunner like this.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Oh, it's on. Loser has to add a "I love Tiberius" line to their signature for a month.
    Please do not mistake your feelings of infatuation with me as those of love. They are not. Admiration? Yes. Envy? Undoubtedly. But not love. Perhaps "I wish I were Tiberius" would be a better signature for the bet.
    Brad426 and Stoveman like this.

May be you should have ask how many mags and BUG we carry.
    Pete63, OD* and Ghost1958 like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The only time I don't carry a spare magazine for my primary handgun is when I am carrying two speed loaders for my revolver.
    Ah HA! So your honest answer is "I sometimes carry a spare magazine".
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
    Please do not mistake your feelings of infatuation with me as those of love. They are not. Admiration? Yes. Envy? Undoubtedly. But not love. Perhaps "I wish I were Tiberius" would be a better signature for the bet.
    Or perhaps "I wish I could get a root canal and have the dry heaves".
    leprechaun50 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Ah HA! So your honest answer is "I sometimes carry a spare magazine".
    No, because I still have my pocket BUG with a spare magazine!
    Brad426 and Ghost1958 like this.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

The pot has been stirred yet again.

Is this really going to be the last time?
    The easy way is always mined.

Distinguished Member
    Old Dog it looks like you missed a category or two - always carry a spare mag and a BUG; and always carry a spare mag and sometimes carry a BUG.

I always have at least 1 spare mag and sometimes I carry a spare mag and a BUG. It depends on how I am dressed and what I am doing.
    LimaCharlie and Bad Bob like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links