Defensive Carry banner

double, triple, quadruple check your garments

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  TN_Mike 
#1 ·
After getting home last evening, I took a shower and changed before going out. I put on a heavy long sleeve T-style shirt and threw in a jacket in the back of the car (late evenings things get cold in SoCal). Anyways, I had my XD .40 SC in my IWB holster and when I stopped by a grocery store I left the jacket in the car as it was still warm. As I was going through the store I passed this ladey and as soon as I did I heard a gasp and WOW. It seems that the world came to a SCREECHING halt in my mind and I knew exactly what cased that reaction. I had twisted my body a bit to squeeze by her cart (parked in a middle of the isle) and as I twisted the shirt must have ridden up. Luckily I was able to continue to the end of isle uninterupted (thankfully I was almost at the end) and turn and than casually scratch the small of my back and pull the shirt down. While reaching behind I used my forearm to verify: felt like the tail end of the grip was poking out from underneath the shirt. Cussing myself for my stupidity and not checking how the shirt does when I twist my torso I quickly picked up what I meant to and paid for it and left the store. I did consider leaving the store immediately after I realized what happened but I think that would make me look suspicious. Anyways, lesson learned: check yourself out before you leave the house if you have new clothes.....

#2 ·
It's almost as if we need to put any new garment ''thru its paces'' initially - and see what it does, in wind, when twisting, bending etc.

Even so - there are times when we can get caught out but it is likely in your case the person who gasped probably assumed you were LE or such - and that was that. Maintaining perfect concealment is and always will be a challenge at times.

#3 ·
That's a good reminder for sure!

I've put on a lot of weight over the holidays and what was once a good concealment garment now prints like crazy! :gah:

I've got to get back on the ol' execrise bike! :hand10:

#4 ·
I have thought about carrying handcuffs on my belt next to my gun holster. I think that people would see them and assume I was law enforcement and not give it any more thought.

Do you think the law would look at that as impersonating a LEO?

#5 ·
I couldn't find an off-side tie down for my shoulder holster (A Galco Miami Classic), so I bought a handcuff case that was made for the rig, that also doubles as an off side tie down, I had a set of cuffs from my old LEO days and decided to carry them in the case. To be on the safe side I asked a few LEO buddies of mine if they thought that I was impersonating, and they said as long as I don't show a badge I'm OK.

It also puts the sheeple at ease. And since we are requred by state law to open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, If I have a set of cuffs visible, I don't get a second look.

Showing in Virginia isn't a big deal anyway (we are an open carry state), but I can imagine how the blissninnies in California would react.

#7 ·
Thank God I live in an open carry permissible state where this situation isn't a problem at all. I don't have a concealed carry permit, I have a hand gun carry permit. I can, and do quite a bit, carry openly if I choose. Also, printing or accidental exposure of the gun is not only not against the law but no violation what so ever.

I guess you are right though. If you live someplace where it isn't OK, you have to be very on top of your cover garment at all times so you don't inadvertently break the law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.