Defensive Carry banner

What Does Your CCW Cover

15K views 56 replies 51 participants last post by  hirundo82 
#1 ·
When i went though my CCW class i was shocked to find out that it doesnt cover knifes/batons and they have changed the name of the permit here to CPL or concealed pistol lic.

I know in some states you are limited to carry the gun you trained with not here though. As long as i own the gun i can carry it.

But back to the knife i think anything with a 3 inch or over blade is a no no al least thats what i rember

Does anyone's permit actually cover tha carrying of a knife i see a lot of people talk about carrying them.

I carry a small Super type knife replacable blade for work etc etc .. theres a post about them on the forum.. falls under the 3inch rule so i should be ok.

#2 ·
Sounds like we're about the same in TN; we have a handgun carry permit and thankfully we are not limited to the gun we trained with but it doesn't cover anything but a handgun.

There are some ongoing efforts to get the permit changed to a weapons permit that would include things other than handguns, but that hasn't happened yet.

As I understand it, we can carry a folding knife with a blade up to four inches long, no automatics, and I'm not sure about fixed blades.

I'd like for my permit to cover a loaded carbine in my car, but for now, it has to be unloaded and not readily accessible.

#3 ·
AZ is specific only you may carry a concealed weapon. This means anything legal, and that includes all NFA weapons listed in the National Registry, blunt force and stabbing/slashing weapons, (ASP/sword), or any firearm not prohibited,(nunchucks, oddly enough), which in AZ means any firearm not defaced, Class 3 illegal, or stolen. If you want to carry three pistols, two throwing knives, a Norse dagger and a registered FA Skorpion under your trenchcoat with your CCW permit, have at it.....

#4 ·
Here in Missouri it is a concealed WEAPONS permit, knives over 4", batons, saps etc...anything that is not illegal you can carry

#8 ·
in Colorado

The "Concealed Weapon Permit" allows a concealed handgun.

Most state's knife laws I have perused do not mention length. Colorado law specifies a blade length limit of 3.0 inches for a fixed-blade and 3.5 inches for a folder. No permit required to conceal a knife within those limits.

#9 ·
My Florida permit says "Concealed Weapon OR Firearm Permit" If you have such a permit, here in Florida, you're legal to carry the nunchucks as well as an automatic knife aka switchblade. These can be purchased at the gun shows and they can be fairly inexpensive as well as fairly high quality, as long as you don't go prying open wooden boxes or something. I have three of them plus my Spyderco.

#10 ·
In Texas, it means handgun only, and during the course, if you use a revolver to qualify with, then you can only carry a revolver. If you qual with a semi-auto then you can carry either. You have to qual with at least a .32 cal weapon. The permit does not allow for knives, batons, nunchukas, spikes, blackjacks, etc. (not sure what else etc. covers, but etc. anyway). Frankly, it doesn't sound logical to me. They are authorizing you the ability to readily use deadly force, I guess they want to specifically limit that deadly force to bullets. As an aside, I once saw statistics indicating that knife wounds were more likely to result in death than a gunshot wound. Maybe the law is hoping to lessen the chances of someone dying !

Another peculiarity here in Texas, you can lawfully display your "Easy Rider Rifle Rack" with a dozen rifles and shotguns in you truck, but you better hide that pistol !

#11 ·
Tincup said:
Virginia - Concealed hangun only
No restriction on which handgun or how many.

No permit required to conceal a knife of any length so long as it folds. Non-folding knives may be open carried only. That little bitty knife in the pocket tool kit that you can carry in your pocket. Illegal in Virginia if concealed. How about that. :eek:

#12 ·
armoredman said:
AZ is specific only you may carry a concealed weapon. This means anything legal, and that includes all NFA weapons listed in the National Registry, blunt force and stabbing/slashing weapons, (ASP/sword), or any firearm not prohibited,(nunchucks, oddly enough), which in AZ means any firearm not defaced, Class 3 illegal, or stolen. If you want to carry three pistols, two throwing knives, a Norse dagger and a registered FA Skorpion under your trenchcoat with your CCW permit, have at it.....
I like that aspect of Arizona CCW law. I always thought the nunchuks thing was sorta weird but since I never planned on carrying them it was no big deal. :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Pennsylvania

I just checked & it mentions that the "on line" PA statutes may not be up to date.
State laws, code, & restrictions change all the time.
You should always check with a qualified lawyer to research your particular specific state statutes & local restrictions before you attempt to carry any additional "device" not directly related to ~ or specifically covered by ~ your state License To Carry a firearm.
A word to the wise should be sufficient.

In PA. with your valid LTC you may carry - properly concealed - any handgun (legally registered to you) as your defensive firearm. Below are considered to be offensive weapons.

"Pennsylvania Offensive weapons."
Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

§ 907. Possessing instruments of crime.
(a) Criminal instruments generally.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses any instrument of crime with intent to employ it criminally.

(b) Possession of weapon.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a firearm or other weapon concealed upon his person with intent to employ it criminally.

(c) Unlawful body armor.--A person commits a felony of the third degree if in the course of the commission of a felony or in the attempt to commit a felony he uses or wears body armor or has the control, custody or possession any body armor.

(d) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Body armor."
Any protective covering for the body, or parts thereof, made of any polyaramid fiber or any resin-treated glass fiber cloth or any material or combination of materials made or designed to prevent, resist, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knife, cutting or piercing instrument or any other weapon.
"Instrument of crime."
Any of the following:
Anything specially made or specially adapted for criminal use.
Anything used for criminal purposes and possessed by the actor under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for lawful uses it may have.
"Weapon."
Anything readily capable of lethal use and possessed under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for lawful uses which it may have. The term includes a firearm which is not loaded or lacks a clip or other component to render it immediately operable, and components which can readily be assembled into a weapon.
Please Note: None of the above information should be considered to be correct legal advice. Check your intent with a Pennsylvania lawyer before you decide to carry any additional device in PA. other than your primary defensive firearm.

#14 ·
Florida CCW: a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife or billie but does not include a machine gun. That machine gun has been falling out of my shirt tucker anyway .

What maybe new in Fl very soon is a new law expanding the right to use deadly froce to protect your home, family and personnal property. The only group trying to block or have the bill watered down is the state police assosciation and some lawyes who want to protect the BG from receiving any harm while robbing or doing you and your family harm. The law in Fl, at this time, would rather send a you to prison for protecting youself, property, and family and protect the BG. I hope this bill passes very soon.

#19 · (Edited)
In Arkansas it is a CHL. If you qualify with a auto you can carry any legal handgun. If you use a wheelgun to qualify you can only carry a wheelgun. Original law was only for the gun you qualified with. No restrictions on how many you can carry as long as you can conceal them. Knifes fall under a different law and are not considered a weapon if blade length is under 3".

"A superior combat handgunner is best defined as one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills."

#25 ·
In Colorado it's called a Concealed Handgun Permit, and only allows carry of handguns.

Knives, with fixed or foldable blades under 3.5 in are legal to carry concealed. In a fixed blade style anything much bigger would be hard to hide anyway.

One question: If Texas law limits you to revolvers if you qualify with a revolver, what do they consider a derringer? Do you have to qualify with a pistol to carry a derringer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.