Sheriff oblivious about CC

This is a discussion on Sheriff oblivious about CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you know, I was the guy who recently posted a thread about a no weapons sign in two recently opened natural areas ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Sheriff oblivious about CC

As many of you know, I was the guy who recently posted a thread about a no weapons sign in two recently opened natural areas in my town. To give you a quick synopsis, these areas are very coveted by Bass fisherman as some of the best areas to fish, they are over 1000 acres a piece, and basically have nothing in them so they are empty most of the time except for the occasional hiker and grumpy new-york born sheriff with Napoleon syndrome. As a greeting, they placed a lovely "NO WEAPONS" sign at the entrance.

One of you guys brought it to my attention that the statute in question was 790.15 as it was printed on the sign. This statute clearly exempts anyone who is legally carrying a firearm from punishment. In other words, the sign means nothing. The only thing the sign is basically saying is you cannot discharge a firearm unless you are legally carrying it, which for that matter applies anywhere. It is just another ploy to discourage people and make them second guess themselves.

As many of you understand, we can philosophize laws all we want, but the sheriff himself may not know the laws and may overreact. For this reason, I called the sheriffs office for confirmation. While I was unable to speak to the particular Sheriff who governs the park, I was placed on the line with another Sheriff. I explained the situation and my concern and I was appalled at his ignorant reaction.

"If the sign says no weapons, it is very simple, don't carry" said the sheriff. "Use common sense". I explained to him the statute and he came back with "again, use common sense, what if there was a child there you would scare them half to death", he said.

I said "Sir, as far as I know Florida is not an open-carry state, concealed means concealed".

He responded "Listen kid, there is no need to carry in the park, it is such a nice tranquil area, do what you want but use common sense if the sign says no weapons I don't understand why you wouldn't just respect the sign".

I am very frustrated. While most of the law enforcement in my area are very much pro-CC, this is one of those guys who would easily ruin your day. They know nothing of the law and are the first ones to cast judgement. Multiply this guy's ignorance times two, and you have the sheriff that patrols the park. One day, I took my buddy fishing there who was visiting from doing a tour in Iraq, and the sheriff had him waiting by his car for 30 minutes attempting to ticket him for fishing with an expired license. He could be heard arguing over the phone and was apoplectic at the fact that I guess whoever he talked to said not to ticket my friend. In addition, he still told us BOTH (I had a valid license) to leave the park and not to come back without a license or he would arrest us for trespassing.

This is who I am dealing with, he governs all the natural areas in my area as well as streets and wetlands. Can anyone share my frustration? I don't trust this guy for a minute.

Yeah that's some b.s. these cops lie and twist the truth and none of them can agree on what's legal gun wise. That sign truly means nothing. Ignore it and carry. Just make sure you are legal. If he continues to harass you file a report and keep filing them. Sooner or later this bozo will get his butt handed to him.

Sounds like the Park Sheriff wanted to fill a Quota.

As far as I remember, anyone active duty and on leave needs no fishing license. At least that's how it is here in Ohio.

As far as the sign posted, you'd probably be better served consulting a lawyer. They would know better than I.
    gatorbait51 and 357and40 like this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

"I don' care what the law says, boy. That's ILLEGAL!"

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    You could do that. I'd lawyer up immediately. I wouldn't have any more contact with him, but would have my attorney write a letter to the Sheriff explaining the law, that his deputy was harassing the client for lawful behavior (due to ignorance of the law), and that if there was any further harassment that suits against the department and the city would filed. That is a much faster way to make him back off than letting piles of complaints accumulate. He has a boss and answers to someone who can make him stop.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

In Florida you can legally open carry while hunting or fishing so maybe that's what they mean no open carry but signs don't carry force of law in Florida at all so just go about your business for once the law is on your side.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8512 View Post

He responded "Listen kid, there is no need to carry in the park, it is such a nice tranquil area, do what you want but use common sense if the sign says no weapons I don't understand why you wouldn't just respect the sign".
    Should've shot back with, "The 2nd Amendment ends with the phrase 'shall not be infringed'. I don't understand why you Commies can't use common sense and respect the Constitution."

Is this actually the sheriff or a deputy?

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Should've shot back with, "The 2nd Amendment ends with the phrase 'shall not be infringed'. I don't understand why you Commies can't use common sense and respect the Constitution."
    That'll turn him around and he'll see the error of his ways for sure!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8512 View Post
    "If the sign says no weapons, it is very simple, don't carry" said the sheriff. "Use common sense".
    Does this mean that LE can ticket or arrest people for violating common sense? If this country started doing that 100 years ago it wouldn't be the mess that it is today.

Distinguished Member
    Does Boss Hogg hold any public offices round them parts?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    You could do that. I'd lawyer up immediately. I wouldn't have any more contact with him, but would have my attorney write a letter to the Sheriff explaining the law, that his deputy was harassing the client for lawful behavior (due to ignorance of the law), and that if there was any further harassment that suits against the department and the city would filed. That is a much faster way to make him back off than letting piles of complaints accumulate. He has a boss and answers to someone who can make him stop.
    I agree, It's always easier to drop this on them from above their pay grade than to try to push it up from the bottom. It also will get the incident documented.

He needs to be educated and the sooner that happens, the sooner he can properly discharge his duties as LE.

One of you guys brought it to my attention that the statute in question was 790.15 as it was printed on the sign. This statute clearly exempts anyone who is legally carrying a firearm from punishment. In other words, the sign means nothing.
    Then why get your panties in a twist?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

It is said ignorance of the law is no excuse.....unless you are a cop it seems.

That really sucks man. It's a shame trying to enjoy the outdoors is such a PIA cause of people like this. I think the advice of having a lawyer send a notice to the Sheriff like Jaeger said is the way to go. I would also take a picture of the "current" sign so they can't change it and say you were lying or didn't know what you were talking about. You could also go as far as notifying this guy you are recording any communication between the two of you and do it so it's on record with his inaccuracy of the law and your rights. Good luck with this. All this just to go fishing on some land your tax dollars pay for, and this guys salary...sheesh!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links