dress to resemble a sheep or sheepdog?

This is a discussion on dress to resemble a sheep or sheepdog? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's the best title I could come up with, sorry. But the question is is: When you are carrying concealed, no matter if you are ...

View Poll Results: When CCW do you dress to blend in, make you less of a target, or give it no thought?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • To blend in with the sheep.

64 31.68%
  • To make me less of a target.

31 15.35%
  • Never thought of it.

114 56.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

That's the best title I could come up with, sorry.

But the question is is: When you are carrying concealed, no matter if you are going to be in a relatively safe place or an area where you do not feel safe, do you dress to blend in or do you wear clothes that you feel, for whatever reason, like the bad guys would be less likely to target you?

I personally dress normally no matter where I am going to be. If I am carrying concealed ( I do open carry a good bit of the time in the summer) I dress in a manner that allows me to not stand out so to speak. But, I know some out there may wear clothes that make them look badder or meaner. "Biker" type clothes. Maybe military surplus clothing.

If you do wear something that you think makes you less likely to be a target, please tell us what it is and why you wear it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    With the exception of some new cover garments, shirts, jackets and vest, I haven't changed the way I dress at all. I don't open carry.
    I have added a few holsters to accomidate the way I dress rather than changing the way I dress for the holster.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I really haven't changed style at all. I wear the same kinds of clothes whether I have a gun on me or not.

imo, it's your body language and level of alertness that makes you "look" like a poor target to a BG, not how many metal studs you have on your leather jacket.

Lead Moderator
    I wear my normal attire,sometimes biker looking , sometimes a bit more dressed up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have no idea if it makes a difference at all as far as throwing out the "I'm A Sheep Dog" vibe but I do wear 5.11 pants because they are a great pant for one and are designed to hold our daily gear we all carry and they make life easier.

Depending on the weather like today it's snowing I will also wear my Danner tactical boot's like 5.11's, there comfortable, water proof and I like to wear them when conditions call for them.

Other than that I am pretty much normal dressed IMO. A thug I don't think would have a clue what 5.11 pants are and the boot's allbeit are black they look like normal boot's for the most part. I wear/dress in clothes that allow me to carry all my gear in the best possible condition, comfort is important as well as having the best possible access to what I might need right away.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I dress the same now as I did before I started to carry. Usually jeans and t shirt or polo shirt away from work, always tucked in. At work it is jeans and polo or button up shirt tucked in. Using an iwb tuckable holster.

In the few months that it is actually cool or cold enough to wear another garment, jacket or additional shirt I will sometimes but rarely use a paddle holster under the other garment.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I have no idea if it makes a difference at all as far as throwing out the "I'm A Sheep Dog" vibe but I do wear 5.11 pants because they are a great pant for one and are designed to hold our daily gear we all carry and they make life easier.

Depending on the weather like today it's snowing I will also wear my Danner tactical boot's like 5.11's, there comfortable, water proof and I like to wear them when conditions call for them.

Other than that I am pretty much normal dressed IMO. A thug I don't think would have a clue what 5.11 pants are and the boot's allbeit are black they look like normal boot's for the most part. I wear/dress in clothes that allow me to carry all my gear in the best possible condition, comfort is important as well as having the best possible access to what I might need right away.

Ti.
    Doesn't seem to matter to shopplifters anyway, I wear 5.11 pants and blk leather boots to work alot. They never seem to have noticed, even when standing close to em .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The only changes I ever make to my mode of dress would pertain much more to what is comfortable, and what is conducive to concealed carry. The choices I make are not about what would make predatory criminals either select me or avoid me.

In fact, I don't really credit the choice of clothing as being able to effect such a response by predatory criminals. Demeanor has much more to do with that, I feel, than whether I'm wearing a blazer, polo shirt, sweatshirt, flipflops or wingtip shoes...

I certainly would not deliberately make myself look like a by choice of clothing (even if I could figure out what that objectively entailed in the first place). Would that not be daring an attack to happen?

I did not click a poll answer: I think there should be a choice of "I don't think it really matters"

VIP Member
    While dress can be an issue, it is more the way you carry yourself and your "presence" that is an issue. If you move, act and carry yourself with confidence and don't act like prey, then you won't look like prey. Look alert, aware and prepared; predators will leave you alone.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I wear vest now and shirts not tucked in. And occasionally I wear a fanny pack. Don't know where exactly that puts me on this spectrum but I have yet to see any news report or other report that someone was targeted by a BG because they looked like they might be a CHLer carrying.

I have seen a few people running around where I live and work wearing the 5.11 attire, and while no one else seems to notice, I do. Not that it matters, but still.

I try to blend in. By blending in, when the fit hits the shan, the BG(S) will be less likely to target me. That, I think, gives me the advantage.

I pretty much feel the same as you guys do, it is more your attitude and the way you carry yourself that determines your likeliness of being targeted.

I posted this after a conversation I had with a friend. He felt that if he dressed like a bad a$$ he would be less likely to be attacked.
    I countered with the fact that I felt that dressing like that might in some situations make one more likely to be targeted.

I just wanted to see what the other members here thought.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Never thought of it, but I figure as long as you don't wear a shirt like this guy has http://www.semnap.org/conceal_and_carry_main.html and carries a prosecutor won't be able to use that against you.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I never thought about it until recently, but the fact I wear the same "uniform" as my peers, with no signs of being armed, works to my advantage methinks. I think flying under the radar is essential, though of course with anything else it's not without shortcomings.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

VIP Member
    I wear what I wear. I make no effort to dress in any way that sends a message as to my readiness to handle an attack. When I work, I tend to wear a suit. When I am out with friends I usually wear kahkis and a polo. When I am making a trip to the range I wear kahkis or jeans. 5.11 pants to get worn from time to time. Even when I am dressing more casual for work I may be wearing Bill's Kahkis or 5.11 pants. I see it as a personal choice. It isn't my trying to send a message, just a question of what I choose to wear on a given day. In any event, 99% of the time there will be a GLOCK in .40 S&W on my hip and a Kel-Tec P3AT in my pocket, regardless of what I am wearing.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links