Accoss State Lines

This is a discussion on Accoss State Lines within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry across State lines. I have a NY carry/concealed permit. When I go on vacation in other states I would like to carry. ...

Thread: Accoss State Lines

Question Accoss State Lines

Does anyone carry across State lines. I have a NY carry/concealed permit. When I go on vacation in other states I would like to carry. How serious is this really and do you consider it worth it. I have in the past but worry at how big a mess it will be if I should get caught. I truly believe that I would rather get caught by a LEO with it than a perp without it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have carried in many states without issue. Of course my permit was recognized by those states. With the advent of shall issue many states modified the penalty for carrying without a valid permit. In some states it used to be a minor misdemeanor, now in many it is a felony. I travel by air or by interstate highway. On the interstate there are usually enough rest stops to disarm before crossing into a state where my permit isn't recognized. If not the last exit ramp is where I will stop.

Also stay aware of the CCW laws and firearms transportation laws in the states you are traveling in. They do vary and not knowing them will not keep you out of trouble, it will get you into it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Assistant Administrator
    lewid - welcome.

First off - policy here is we do not like to suggest or discuss illegal activities and so in a sense carrying across state lines when NOT covered by a reciprocal agreement will be just that.

We might say that the decision is (obviously) up to the individual, weighing up risks etc but as Scott points out, you could easily be in a whole mess of trouble, and that will have ramifications against your home permit for sure.

We cannot approve or condone simply because it is, plain and simple - illegal ....... however much we feel our rights are infringed. It is best to comply and study other state laws to be sure you know where you stand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I apologize for the thread. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    You need to define which states you are interested in.

MA issues NR LTC easily once you complete a MA-approved initial course, but it is $100/year.

NH is a no-brainer, $20 for NR CCW that takes ~10 days to obtain and is good for 5 yrs IIRC.

VT - nobody needs a permit and CCW is acceptable there.

NJ - forgetaboutit!

PA- relatively easy I am told.
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewid View Post
    I apologize for the thread. Thanks.
    No need for an apology. I hope we answered your question. Several states will recognize your NY permit (MI, MO, AK, VT for sure as they recognize all states), so you are good to go in those states. As for carrying illegally, well that is a bad idea and you shouldn't do it. Also if you do it, don't admit it on an internet forum.

You may want to pick a FL permit as that permit has good recognition on the east coast. LenS also provided some good suggestions.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    And along with NJ don't carry (on your person) or stop in Maryland, and what ever you do, DON'T go into DC with a pistol period!

Like has been said, check the laws on your route, and comply.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I live in Georgia just 5 miles south of Tennessee. I cross the state line all the time. No trouble TN recognizes GA CCW and vise versa. I travel to Ole Miss alot and through Alabama also no trouble all states I frequent recipricate with GA.

I'm covered in approx. 22 states with my florida permit. When you cross into another state that honors your permit its a good idea to be up on their gun laws. Another state might not be identical to your state even if they honer your permit.. A good source of info is (www.packing.org) Cover all the bases.

VIP Member
    Welcome Lewid....better you learn before you get into trouble....so we're glad you asked the questions!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I travel back and forth between Kansas and Missouri... of course they're reciprocal. It was pretty inconvenient living in Kansas City when only one of the two states had concealed carry permits.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    And along with NJ don't carry (on your person) or stop in Maryland, and what ever you do, DON'T go into DC with a pistol period!

Like has been said, check the laws on your route, and comply.
    While it may seem like a hassle to keep up with other state laws for carry purposes, IMHO the risk of loosing the ability to ever carry is not worth it. All it would take is someone to run into you on the highway, not even your fault, and have the LEO find a gun. . . . now you’re the BG. That is my opinion and is only worth as much.

Quote Originally Posted by lewid View Post
    Does anyone carry across State lines. I have a NY carry/concealed permit. When I go on vacation in other states I would like to carry. How serious is this really and do you consider it worth it.
    "Worth it" ... meaning, worth carrying illegally? IMO, no. Although I might not get sent to jail for very long, it's all but assured that this will be the demise of my legal carrying for a long time (if not forever). For me, not hardly worth it. The laws are punitive enough without my help.

With the appropriate carry licensing, it should be a non-issue. Of course, that's multiple states' laws that must be known and followed. I've got a Utah out-of-state, which allows me to legally carry throughout the western states with the exception of NV, CA. On a trip to CA awhile back, I had to lock it up in the trunk for the duration, but you can bet over the state line I was holstering up.

It's absolutely worth acquiring the legit. carry licenses for all states to which you'll be traveling. It's what puts you in the position of the GG, should a situation arise. Nothing else will do that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links