FBI: Mass shooting incidents occurring more frequently

This is a discussion on FBI: Mass shooting incidents occurring more frequently within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FBI: Mass shooting incidents occurring more frequently FBI: Mass shootings occurring more frequently - CNN.com Not horribly surprising, given the nature of copycats, but a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: FBI: Mass shooting incidents occurring more frequently

FBI: Mass shootings occurring more frequently - CNN.com

Not horribly surprising, given the nature of copycats, but a few comments are interesting:

"Recognizing the increased active shooter threat and the swiftness with which active shooter incidents unfold, these study results support the importance of training and exercises -- not only for law enforcement but also for citizens."
    Active shooter incidents differ from "a defined crime, such as a murder or mass killing," the study says, because "the active aspect inherently implies that both law enforcement personnel and citizens have the potential to affect the outcome of the event based upon their responses."
    Maybe tacit support of concealed carry?

Your thoughts...

Are mass shootings increasing or is the definition of such expanded to include triple and quadruple homicides?
    CIBMike, nedrgr21 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadScientist View Post
    Are mass shootings increasing or is the definition of such expanded to include triple and quadruple homicides?
    That's part of it. "Active Shooter" has entered the vocabulary only in recent times, and as the report says, isn't actually a defined crime. Kind of like "home invasion" - you never heard that term bandied about years ago, now it's all the rage.

It seems many things these days have a lower threshold to meet some categorization - mental and medical arena especially.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

TheMadScientist, As read through this, I was wondering the same thing. Has there been a change I what is considered a mass shooting?
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I guess the exact definition of "mass shooting" is not really important if the same definition is used in the entire study period- if the numbers are increasing, they are increasing...

To me, the MOST important statement is "citizens have the potential to affect the outcome of the event based upon their responses".
    Gimme_Coffee likes this.

I think the report is a double edged sword. Historically, the reports put out by the FBI have supported 2A rights with their data, basically that idiotic gun laws do nothing but wreak havoc on innocents while enabling criminals. However, in this current political climate, it seems that most government agencies have become pawns to kings, so I estimate that some goofy ABC nanny organization with an anti-gun agenda will salivate at the recent report.

On another note, ask yourself why every mass shooter in almost the last decade has been on Psychotropic Drugs? ........ School Shooters & Stabbings Committed by those on Psychiatric Drugs | CCHR International
    “Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post

FBI: Mass shootings occurring more frequently - CNN.com

Not horribly surprising, given the nature of copycats, but a few comments are interesting:

Maybe tacit support of concealed carry?

Your thoughts...
    Depends on whether their definition of citizen response involves an armed citizen taking out the shooter or do they mean folks with chair legs rushing into the killers field of fire.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 47Gabe View Post
    I think the report is a double edged sword. Historically, the reports put out by the FBI have supported 2A rights with their data, basically that idiotic gun laws do nothing but wreak havoc on innocents while enabling criminals. However, in this current political climate, it seems that most government agencies have become pawns to kings, so I estimate that some goofy ABC nanny organization with an anti-gun agenda will salivate at the recent report.

On another note, ask yourself why every mass shooter in almost the last decade has been on Psychotropic Drugs? ........ School Shooters & Stabbings Committed by those on Psychiatric Drugs | CCHR International
    Or why they have increased with the prevalence of violent video games.
    Orangeman likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I guess the exact definition of "mass shooting" is not really important if the same definition is used in the entire study period- if the numbers are increasing, they are increasing...

To me, the MOST important statement is "citizens have the potential to affect the outcome of the event based upon their responses".
    I would love to see this clarified. It may mean that citizens have the potential to affect the outcome by arming themselves and receiving appropriate training. Then again, it may mean that citizens can affect the outcome by finding better hiding places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Or why they have increased with the prevalence of violent video games.
    “Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy

It's also important to keep it in proper perspective: roughly 1000 killed and wounded in 13 yrs or 77/yr - drop in the bucket compared to the 11-15,000 murders per year.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    "shelter in place" ! never heard that til Boston. Now its everywhere.
    Gimme_Coffee likes this.

the other thing that has increased over the last 40 years......psyche drugs. Many of these drugs have serious side effects including aggression, suicide and the desire to kill. You be the judge if its really the video games.
    Most of the mass shooters in the last 30 years have been prescribed one or more of these psyche drugs.

StormRhydr, 47Gabe and Nmuskier like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    the other thing that has increased over the last 40 years......psyche drugs. Many of these drugs have serious side effects including aggression, suicide and the desire to kill. You be the judge if its really the video games.
    Most of the mass shooters in the last 30 years have been prescribed one or more of these psyche drugs.

I have no problem believing both factors have contributed.
    zonker1986 and Texas Red like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I;m sure the FBIs civilian response is training to duck and cover in a timely manner.
    Gimme_Coffee likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links