Critique my letter please.

This is a discussion on Critique my letter please. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Human Resources sent out "The Letter" today saying that gunbuster signs will be posted tomorrow banning weapons not only from the offices but all company ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Human Resources sent out "The Letter" today saying that gunbuster signs will be posted tomorrow banning weapons not only from the offices but all company property. I have composed an email but have not sent it yet.
    I have edited out the name of the company. You will see references to "The shooting pit". We used to have an employee maintained range on company property but it was closed down after an employee was injured by an ND. It may or may not re-open, that's up to the board of directors
    "21st Century Leadership" is a company management style they've been touting for several years now. the quote in the letter is taken from the HR reps email signature line.

Here's the draft of my letter:

I understand a desire to exclude firearms from being brought into the offices and buildings, but if I were a licensed permit holder under the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act I would hope that I would be allowed to leave my firearm secured in my vehicle on those occasions when I chose to exercise my right to carry while en route to and from work.

If hunting is allowed to continue on company property and the shooting pit would be reopened, this policy will also cause a major inconvenience for those employees that wish to take target practice or go hunting after working hours.

While 21st Century Leadership emphasizes trust among the people of (Company name), the policy appears to be contrary to that ideal.

"(Company name) people value, and expect one another to behave in ways that consistently exhibit the characteristics of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership. We believe the consistent application of these core values in reaching the "best answer" in all cases will best enable us to fulfill our mission statement of providing reliable, long-term power supply and transmission services to our Member-owners at the lowest possible cost consistent with sound business and cooperative principles”.

I guess my question would be, is the policy set in stone or is there a chance for compromise?
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

See Bold...

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Human Resources sent out "The Letter" today saying that gunbuster signs will be posted tomorrow banning weapons not only from the offices but all company property. I have composed an email but have not sent it yet.
    I have edited out the name of the company. You will see references to "The shooting pit". We used to have an employee maintained range on company property but it was closed down after an employee was injured by an ND. It may or may not re-open, that's up to the board of directors
    "21st Century Leadership" is a company management style they've been touting for several years now. the quote in the letter is taken from the HR reps email signature line.

Here's the draft of my letter:

I understand a desire to exclude firearms from being brought into the offices and buildings, but if I were a licensed permit holder under the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act I would hope that I would be allowed to leave my firearm secured in my vehicle on those occasions when I chose to exercise my right to carry while en route to and from work.

If hunting is allowed to continue on company property and the shooting pit would be reopened, this policy will also cause a major inconvenience for those employees that wish to take target practice or go hunting after working hours.

While 21st Century Leadership emphasizes trust among the people of (Company name), the policy appears to be contrary to that ideal.

"(Company name) values people, and expects one another to behave in ways that consistently exhibit the characteristics of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership. We believe the consistent application of these core values in reaching the "best answer" in all cases will best enable us to fulfill our mission statement of providing reliable, long-term power supply and transmission services to our member-owners at the lowest possible cost that is consistent with sound business and cooperative principles”.

I guess my question would be, is the policy set in stone or is there a chance for compromise?
    Perhaps?

Good Luck...I would only ask questions of which you already know the answer...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"I understand a desire to exclude firearms from being brought into the offices and buildings" <I don't; I only understand they have the right to ban>

"if I were a licensed permit holder under the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act I would hope that I would be allowed to leave my firearm secured in my vehicle on those occasions when I chose to exercise my right to carry while en route to and from work." <Make it a direct request to modify the policy, to carry in the buildngs, or at least keep in vehicle, but give a reason (personal safety; required safety & legal training to get permit). "I suggest licencees be exempted..." They can "clarify" the memo later in this respect without loss of face>

"If hunting is allowed to continue on company property and the shooting pit would be reopened, this policy will also cause a major inconvenience for those employees that wish to take target practice or go hunting after working hours." <Make this a request, and a reason to allow keeping weapons in vehicle>

"While 21st Century Leadership emphasizes trust among the people of (Company name), the policy appears to be contrary to that ideal." <Good statement>

"(Company name) people value, and expect one another to behave ,,, blah, blah <This paragraph (no offense intended), I call spewing - they know it already).

<Compromise? With what? What are the legal ramifications for the company if someone is seriously assaulted after a protest such as yours? Probably new policy was forced on company by insurers or company lawyers after the accident. I'd go for licensed carry in the office, but reluctantly compromise at unloaded weapons locked in a case in the vehicle. Compromise requires negotiation, therefore, it might be best to request a meeting with someone involved in implementing the policy. Trouble is, you have no leverage except the previous support of range and hunting. Perhaps propose company sponsored training for carriers - make use of that range and familiarize the bosses with your training and safety. Here is the tough one: are you willing to indemnify and hold harmless the company from any lawsuit or claim arising from your use of a firearm - that means if the company is sued, you pay ALL the bills?>

<These compromises mean you reveal you carry to someone in the company>

<Might be worth seeking support from others, especialy someone higher up the ladder (who used the range?); There is not really any rush to protest - it's too late to stop the letter>

FWIW - hope it's helpful

C

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The letter is worded fine, but I don't understand enough about the company and the nature of it to really comment on the appropriateness of sending the letter.

You work for a company big enough to have this kind of management mumbo-jumbo buzzword junk, but it had a shooting range for employees? And hunting grounds??

<rhetorical> Who on earth do you work for?! </rhetorical>

If the company has taken the time to announce this policy, I think it's already too late to have it rescinded. The company is dumb enough to have shut down a range for ONE accident/injury? It's clear that their motto-statement is just so much B.S., since obviously they are not treating the employees as though they are trustworthy, competent, yattita-yattita. I suppose that if one person spills coffee at his desk, there will be a company-wide ban on coffee?

You're dealing with hypocrites, and an "anti" culture has crept into the company -- especially if it's going non-gun after having a shooting range! I fear that there's nothing your letter will accomplish except to make you stand out as a boat-rocker. But I wish you luck.

Why would you say this, if you don't believe it? And if you do believe it, WHY?

I would never say that line. It gives undeserved legitimacy to the idea that telling good people they can't bring guns they're licensed to carry onto the premises. We all know that's an idiotic, do-nothing policy, that will never stop a workplace shooting or a criminal or terrorist attack. Axiomatically, such a policy cannot affect someone intent on bringing in a gun to do carnage.

Why would you tell them that you "understand" the desire to exclude guns from the workplace? Why not point out all the reasons why it's absurd?

VIP Member
    I would just mention that the first paragraph/sentence needs some added periods. It is a monster run-on.

Other than that, I would send the email, knowing full well that it wouldn't accomplish a thing. Of course, I would also probably have to resign because I don't work in free fire zones unless there are metal detectors and armed people at every entry point.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey
    Why would you tell them that you "understand" the desire to exclude guns from the workplace?
    Maybe because he does. I certainly do. I don't like it. I don't agree with it. I think it is stupid. But I am able to comprehend the ignorance from which it sprouts. I am able to understand it.

As for the letter. I think it's a good one. It raises the issues without being so "in your face" that it's liable to get you fired. It's brief, and that's very important.

"I understand that the new company policy is to exclude firearms brought into the offices and buildings and I also understand that there is no exception for persons who are licensed, trained, qualified and undergo an extensive background check as provided by the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act. If I am incorrect in this assessment, please let me know. For the purposes of this message I will assume that it is not, as presented in the policy statement.

I also understand that this would adversely affect hunting and firearms practice on company property which many employees benefit from and enjoy. Please also advise if I am incorrect in this assessment as well.

I am therefore requesting clarification on the new security measures that the company is planning to implement in accordance with this new policy as I did not see them in the statement. I am assuming that the company will be providing twenty-four hour, seven day a week armed security personnel to protect employees in the buildings and all property. This assumption is based on the removal of reasonable means of protection by employees as set by the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act and, due to this removal of means, would leave the company liable for assuming those protection duties.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Respectfully submitted,

<Your_Name>
    "

VIP Member
    I go with soundwave's letter with the following edit: Add as last sentence before "thank you ......" the following sentence should be added:

As (Company Name) proposed policy will significantly hinder my ability to defend myself, I assume that in addition to the 24/7 armed protection that the company will provide while I am on company property, it will further assume any liability associated with its failure to adequately protect me from any harm after implementation of the policy.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Thank you for all the suggestions!
    "The letter" is not going to be sent though.
    I had a chat with one of the managers today; he's the chairman of the range committee and an avid RKBA supporter, his office is responsible for company security.
    He told me he talked until he was blue in the face but was unable to sway opinion on the no guns policy. Maybe in due time changes will come about but for now there ain't no way.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Thank you for all the suggestions!
    "The letter" is not going to be sent though.
    I had a chat with one of the managers today; he's the chairman of the range committee and an avid RKBA supporter, his office is responsible for company security.
    He told me he talked until he was blue in the face but was unable to sway opinion on the no guns policy. Maybe in due time changes will come about but for now there ain't no way.
    Good choice. A letter like that will not win friends and may negatively influence people who hold the keys to your future at that place of employment. It is usually best to save that sort of rhetoric for private face to face discussions with key people. It is always best to avoid writing out dissenting opinions regarding policy at work.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Sisco

Good luck but for what it is worth I had a thread "I need help changing a gun policy at my office! "

I had no luck!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I learned the hard way a long time ago about sending heat-of-the-moment emails at work. I found it best to compose the mail, let it sit in the drafts folder and read it again the next day. Funny how sometimes your perception of things can change in 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Maybe because he does. I certainly do. I don't like it. I don't agree with it. I think it is stupid. But I am able to comprehend the ignorance from which it sprouts. I am able to understand it.

As for the letter. I think it's a good one. It raises the issues without being so "in your face" that it's liable to get you fired. It's brief, and that's very important.
    To me, it sounds like an offering of a sympathetic view, akin to, "Of course I'm with ya there about the need to keep guns out of the workplace, sheesh yes!"

I think the letter may not be "in-your-face," but it will mark the sender as "one to watch," that much is certain. And maybe in this day and age of "right-to-work," they'll can him just to be on the safe side, since they don't even need a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    "This assumption is based on the removal of reasonable means of protection by employees as set by the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act and, due to this removal of means, would leave the company liable for assuming those protection duties."

AWESOME!! Way to stick it to 'em that what they think is a "C.Y.A." move is actually one that will stick their a$$es in the fire!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links