Packing.org?

Packing.org?

This is a discussion on Packing.org? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if Packing.org updates its info? Everytime I log on it appears that it may have a current News Item, but everything else ...

Thread: Packing.org?

Question Packing.org?

Does anyone know if Packing.org updates its info? Everytime I log on it appears that it may have a current News Item, but everything else on the site appears to be out of date.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Yes, you are correct that Packing.org has daily information, with the exception of the State to State CCW information.

It's worth reading, as long as you are aware that it attracts a lot of 'trolls', whose main purpose, it seems, is to agitate legitimate, law abiding citizens seeking honest information. As long as you can 'sift' out the bad info, which by the way, becomes evident after awhile, you will find good information and thought provoking ideas.

It started out as an excellent forum for CCW info, but has grown beyond what it's moderators can handle.

That's the reason why this particular site is so valuable. It gives you accurate info without all the 'fluff'.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Whoa! Doesn't mentioning the name of the "other site" on this forum violate Bumper's rules regarding profanity? lol.

Somebody had to say it!

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    Does anyone know if Packing.org updates its info? Everytime I log on it appears that it may have a current News Item, but everything else on the site appears to be out of date.
    PDO is a mystery due to neglect and the quality (or perhaps lack thereof) of the dialog on the site. If you want intelligent dialog, come here or if you want a "home" flavor, your state CCW forum (for us it's http://www.missouricarry.com ). I know you participate there.

If you want currency on law, reciprocity and other factual matters, http://www.handgunlaw.us is probably the best choice.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    It started out as an excellent forum for CCW info, but has grown beyond what it's moderators can handle.
    Close but no cookie lol The issue imho is that packing has NO mods , it is a failed expirement in self moderation where posts are hidden by a rateings system of the poster by other posters . More or less communist moderation and it works about as good with the " bots " and trolls that rate posters down for little or no reason .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    This was discussed quite a while ago - and quite a few folks came over to join us here.

Indeed it does seem that the ''self-moderation'' deal is not a huge success, plus it appears info is not as current as once was. Gary Slider, a member here, was half of PDO but has for a few months been running the handgunlaw.us site, keeping info current. It has probably taken over the place of PDO as the de facto source for carry data.

I am sure there is still good info on PDO but whether in some cases current enough does seem in doubt. I am sure of one thing - running any site of that type must be a herculean task.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I find PDO only good for quick click to the various states' official websites to get their laws or current info. Doesn't seem that anything else there is "reliable" . . . lots of incorrect or old info from what I've seen.
    NRA Instructor

Thanks All for the replies.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Very Sad

Very sad about Packing.org. I still check in and see if I can pick up any information on the different states. Sad fact is I have picked up just one law item that I wasn't already aware of in over a year.

If you do need up to date info Handgunlaw.us is the place to find it. I recommend you start with the FAQ Page by clicking on FAQ in the left column. It gives you some good info and tells you where to find many of the things most people are looking for.

Combat Carry is the best run and most informative chat froum I have found. Thanks to all who keep it going and on the straight and narrow. It is a very difficult and most often a thankless Task. Thanks Administratiors and Moderators. Feel very proud of what you have accomplished here. Great Job.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

PDO is where the illustrious name of PT-111 started. I started posting to PDO a few years ago but I do not visit it anymore due to the reasons mentioned above.

This site is 1000% better and more civil. Top notch here.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have never been in missouricarry.com. the stupid website has never allowed me to log in. I have repeatedly tried to contact the admins, but to no avail. will try again today.

steve

When kansas ccw passed I looked for a long time before I found this website and I enjoy it. Thanks!

J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Bye, Bye...

PDO...Hello CC...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I found this site from a thread on PDO. I poked around here for a little while.

Then some juvenille started spamming every post with just stupid cut-and-paste ranting. After about a week of that I signed up here and have only gone back once.

Mark had a good thing there, but it went south fast.

If you want to know how I feel about it read this... http://www.packing.org/community/gen.../?thread=17303

My Farwell to PDO
    Thank You and a Sad Farwell to Many.
    Let me start by saying thank you to Mark Solomon, for creating this site, and to the many fine individuals with whom I have had discussions. We may not always agree but I always respected those who would engage in a dialog on a subject on which there was a difference of opinion rather than resort to the infantile rating system.

I have been a die hard supporter of PDO for some time now. I have ignored many a campaign by those individuals who would use the rating system out of a personal grudge or anti agenda. Many I believe have used it to punish based on a simple difference of opinion.

I have been campaigned against in the past and ignored it. I spoke out against those who spammed the forums with their personal message for days with the single post of "Ignore them and they will leave." Then I followed that advice. Most of the spam, "death to PDO", posters are now gone. In the past two weeks though I seem to have kicked over a major anthill. I have had a difference of opinion on a matter involving a LEO.

From Sept 4 to Sept 18 (14 days) I have accumulated the grand total of ONE HUNDRED FORTY NINE (149)ZEROS. That is almost 15 a day.

Like I have said, I have been attacked here and there. Ten zeros for this, 8 for that. This though has been an organized effort at an order of magnitude increase. Please note, and if you question review, that not once had I been vulgar, engaged in personal attacks, or in any other way violated the basic accepted polite behavior of the forums.

Looking back, and reviewing my own advice in the past on this subject, I have come to a conclusion. I do not enjoy being here anymore. The bottom line is the rating system does mean something to those new here. Those who come looking for info and see a person held in disregard, as explained by this very site's guidelines, are likely to either not see the post or disregard it. I had sent many a new person to PDO in the past but I can not do so in good conscience now. If I can't send them here, and I am unhappy as well, I might as well move on.

None of us can or has the right to force Mr. Solomon to change the site to our preference. I am not going to demand him to do so. I have emailed him with my opinions and personal wishes for his and PDO's success along with thanks for the help this site has provided me. I have also told him I would be happy to participate in the future if things change. I will look in, and PM when I think it is appropriate.

I see no need to post though and provide an outlet for those sad individuals with nothing else to do but hammer away at those they disagree with.

To those who continue to post in spite of those attempting to destroy the system, I respect your efforts and hope you win. Unfortunately, looking at the effort those out to destroy this site are willing to expend, I no longer see a chance of victory in simply ignoring them. My belief now, and it is only my own, people should make up their own minds on the matter, is only a complete collapse of the forums here will lead to change.

You will find me on other sites. I will not name them here as I think that would be ungentlemanly to Mr. Solomon's site given the rest of this post. I hope to see many friends at those sites as well, some are already there as the web community for our interest is not that big when you get right down to it.

Good luck to all and thank you for the conversations we have shared.

Best Regards,

Musketeer
    Beyond the rating system there are simply a minimal amount of updates being added to the site. It is in disrepair and at this point should only be used for its links to appropriate state pages.

Links