Big guy question/issue.

Big guy question/issue.

This is a discussion on Big guy question/issue. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys' So I am I big wide guy (290lbs) and when I carry I have issues with comfort and printing. Mostly due to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Big guy question/issue.

Big guy question/issue.

Hey guys'
    So I am I big wide guy (290lbs) and when I carry I have issues with comfort and printing. Mostly due to the cheap iwb I use. Any bigger guys have any recommendations for a new holster to try or any tips and tricks for printing? Sorry for the noob question just an issue I'm dealing with and need advice.

A.J.
    ArmyCop likes this.

I find that OWB with an untucked shirt to be the most comfortable set up for me. I also use a crossbreed supertuck for IWB that is comfortable also.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    When I was over 270 + the most comfortable place in the waist was Apendix area. I just seam to have a dent in the fat in that area. I Carried every thing from a Glock 21 to a J-Frame. Now that I weigh 200 I still carry my Main Gun AIWB and my back up in my pocket. I only carry Snub Revolvers these days.
    southerngrudge likes this.

Welcome.
    Carry position can make as big a difference as the holster.
    Appendix carry, IWB can be very uncomfortable sitting with long barrels or low carry holsters.
    3 o'clock carry is directly on the hipbone, and many people have trouble with that too.
    Slightly farther back, 4 o'clock, seems to work better for most people.
    I carry SOB (6 o'clock, IWB). It works for me!
    There are also holsters that ride higher.

Most people that carry 4" (or longer) barrels use OWB.
    Shorter barrels also can be "canted" to tilt the grip into a more comfortable position.

Sounds like you need to go shopping somewhere with lots of holsters.
    There is no possession limit on Opinions. Take as many as you want!

I have a "gut" also. I carry IWB at 4-5 position with a dual clip La Tour hybrid (sometimes use a single clip La tour hybrid). I find it very comfortable at 5'oclock, even while driving. I carry an M&P Shield 9mm, so the single stack hardly prints at all.

I own and love to carry large handguns but the M&P Shield at 4-5 o'clock in a leather Kydex IWB holster like a Old Faithful is not noticeable to me or anyone else. IMO, more comfortable than an all kydex or all leather holster.

Btw, I'm a big guy too!
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

WP_20140923_19_47_52_Pro.jpgWP_20140923_19_48_15_Pro.jpgWP_20140923_19_48_29_Pro.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    I own and love to carry large handguns but the M&P Shield at 4-5 o'clock in a leather Kydex IWB holster like a Old Faithful is not noticeable to me or anyone else. IMO, more comfortable than an all kydex or all leather holster.

Btw, I'm a big guy too!
    Same here.....my wife, nor anyone around me can ever tell I'm carrying at 5'oclock with the Shield, and I really haven't changed shirt sizes/etc.

KoB
    From one big fella to another...try OWB with a good quality holster...I favor High Noon Holsters!

5'6" @250# Ruger SR40C and Sig P239 in a 3Speed Holster worn at 1:30-2:00
    3Speed 4-6-2014.jpgSig P239 in 3SpeedHolster.jpg
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Hard to beat OWB for comfort and accessibility. I used to always tuck my shirt, but now I almost never do. Fortunately, untucked shirts are in style.

As mentioned above, a canted holster carried at 4:00 or further back (behind the love handle) is pretty comfy. Get a good gunbelt and a sturdy holster. When you buy quality you only sqawk once.

Distinguished Member
    Used to be there but now down to 258 and still losing. After much experimenting and talking to manufactures, this is what I learned. Get a very stiff wide 1.5 inch belt. I use the instructor belt from Wilderness Tactical and pay extra for the polymer insert. Next, get yourself a hybrid holster. Not a cheap one but a very good one that is cut out in a pattern that works for your body. I prefer Blue Ridge Holsters, MTAC (a lot of leeway in adjusting it), Crossbreed and Stealth Gear. The Stealth Gear holsters are hybrids but instead of using a stamped out leather backing, they have a fabric mess that is breathable, moisture proof and cushioned for comfort. I think we will see more and more holsters with cushioned backings as they are much more comfortable to wear. Nate Squared have a big old cushion but their holsters are not to my liking. They are retention holsters that require that you twist your gun a little to unlock it to draw. I do not want to do that in an emergency.

You should have a sweet spot between your side and back. It is usually depressed there and a perfect place to carry a gun. The butt of the gun runs across your back starting at your side and yet is reachable if you get an FBI cant. I find that longer barreled guns are more comfortable for me as the barrel rides on top of my butt cheeks. Smaller barreled guns poke me in the butt. Here is another tip, get a holster that carries high. This will avoid the butt poking and also put your gun higher and more on your side than your bulge. You also need to be realistic about the gun you carry.

Also consider pocket carry, my personal favorite. I buy from Big and Tall shops as I am big and tall. :) I take my gun with me and only buy pants that hide my gun easily in the pocket. Do not worry about bulges. My wallet, keys and phone bulge in my pocket. No one cares or notices. I can easily carry a single stack 9mm and even my 3" 1911 in my pocket with a holster by Mika.

Take a look at Perry suspenders. They hook onto your belt and will prevent your gun from dragging your pants down. Works very well for me. I can wear a 36 oz gun easily with this setup. Also wear your shirts untucked, if you can. I live with old men and many feel that an untucked shirt is sloppy so they walk around with big bellies that strain against their tucked in shirts. I wear untucked shirts, even Hawaiian ones. I dress around my gun and they do not make me look like I am pregnant. :)

Lose a little weight as it makes a difference in how well you can carry. I joined Weight Watchers online and I lose a pound a week. It is a slow but healthy weight loss program that lets you chose your own foods. My wife recently was in the hospital and then bedridden for six weeks so I ate a lot of microwave and takeout meals. I put on 8 lbs. real fast. Now that my wife is cooking again, I am dropping weight. I can tell the difference between being 250 and 258 as it affects my ability to carry a gun.

Dress around the gun (one size bigger shirts work great and many will ask you if you lost weight) and carry guns that are easy to conceal. My carry guns are single stacks except for my Glock 30s. Some have extended mags so that I can barely get my pinkie on the grip, most do not. I learned that my pinkie does not even exert pressure on my grip and makes no difference other than perceived comfort. Right now my main IWB carry guns are my 3" 1911 and M&P Shield. For my pocket I have a choice among a snub nose, Sig P238 or P938 and an LCP which is easier to pocket carry than my wallet. I also have an NAA mini .22 magnum revolver which I can easily hide even in a bathing suit. Get the Tall sized shirts because they will be longer and cover your entire pocket. You can carry a full sized 1911 like that. :) No worries about grips peeking out or the size of your bulge, in your pocket.

Dress around the gun, Google Perry suspenders, and carry the right gun. Just because others carry a Glock 17, that does not mean it is the right gun for you. If I want to carry one of my full sized guns, I will use one of the many shoulder bags I have. I even have vests and jackets with built in holsters and none of them look like the typical tactical clothing that you often see online. You have lots of options, just pick those that work for you. If you read a lot and are willing to dress around your gun, you can easily do so. If you try to force the gun into your existing mode of dress and carry, the gun will win.
    Last edited by Old_Dog; September 27th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
    SWIll, LeftofMars, Pinot and 4 others like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

I would say try suspenders. Then your belt (a good stiff gun belt right?) doesn't have to be so dang tight. As far as holsters go go OWB at 4-430 or if you HAVE to do IWB , I use a SHTF holster when I do IWB

VIP Member
    What do you carry? Snubs can be carried in the pocket. I prefer outside the waistband though and dress around the gun (.357 magnum or 1911).

PM
    When I was 290 I carried IWB at about 4:30 one gun in a Uncle mikes cheapy and my other in a High Noon tuckable; both were comfortable. I did move the system fore and aft to find the sweet spot. Since I lost 75 to 100 pound have not found the sweet spot so I tend to carry inside my belt (belt then the gun the waistband of my pants then me!).

VIP Member
    SHTF Holster IWB right side carry , i wear a good leather belt and a larger shirt and you cannot tell i am carrying . I carry mostly a M&P .40 c and it hides very well and ohh i'm one of those big guys .

I am not a suspender guy .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links