How I Damaged a Favorite Weapon: Others?

This is a discussion on How I Damaged a Favorite Weapon: Others? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried legally for alot of years now. Im retired and still think about an early carry gun that I sold because of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How I Damaged a Favorite Weapon: Others?

I have carried legally for alot of years now. Im retired and still think about an early carry gun that I sold because of the awful scratches down the side of a mint NICKEL PLATED PYTHON. I was chasing a BG down a dark alley and really closing some distance when I felt heard and saw in a sickening moment my gun sliding on the ground next to me. It tumbled and cartwheeled and slowed almost as fast as I did. On my hands and knees behind a bar in a wet rainy alley I held up the Python and was shocked at how it had changed. This was back when revolvers were IT and Python was King of IT. No one else had one and few carried a Nickel anything. Sold it in shame and now wish to the King of IT I still had it in any condition.Any one got a favorite damage story?
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

VIP Member
    With me it is usually the first ding on the wood of a long gun that burns me up.

I remember all of the first dings....but after that, it isn't as big a deal. I guess they need to be broken in.

I also remember my first dummy mark on a 1911, you know the infamous slide release scratch.......

I also have a couple with other stupid moves that have caused misc. scratches.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have a smith and wesson 642. I have a couple of scratches on it. I plan on getting it refinished in a few years.

Assistant Administrator
    I guess I am also in the dinged wood area!!

Bit like cars - rifles and shotguns especially - almost need that first (hopefully small) ding to render them thenceforth we hope immune to more!

Handguns - lemme see ............. nope, worst I have done is drop onto carpetted floor - with no bad results.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    as long as its honest use, rather than abuse , I don't mind scratches or dings. My dad owns grandpas old win. model 12 shotgun. nearly all the blueing is worn off the barrel from years of use. (duck hunting is rough on guns)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    as long as its honest use, rather than abuse , I don't mind scratches or dings.
    I agree Cant say i have dropped or serverly scratched one other than honest holster wear

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've dropped my share of wooden-stocked weapons, with resulting dings and scratches.

It irks me momentarily, but after that I don't mind. During that moment I get almost depressed.

But I get over it pretty quickly. My weapons are objects, tools to use, to me, not artifacts or relics.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

the dings in the wood bother me too.

I pulled out a 20ga. I have not looked at in a long time and it has some minor rust spots on it that made me cringe.

When the SLING comes undone,and your rifle falls to the ground. ohh the horror.

Fanning a single action and breaking trigger return spring and pawl reset.

I once dropped one of my beloved 1911s out of a pocket.

I was at a friends house. He has a large bit of land that we go shooting on occassionally. I had just emptied my stainless 1911 and was reloading the magazine. I was wearing a pair of painters pants with the brush pockets on the leg. I had tucked the gun into one of those pockets and it was secure...until I took a step.

I watched in what seemed to be hours of paralyzed anguish as my 1911 loosed itsself from the pocket and tumbled end-over-end until it smashed into a dead tree branch laying on the ground and bounced off of a couple of rocks until skittering to a stop in the dirt under some decaying leaves.

I spent the better part of the day pouring over the gun checking it for scratches and dings or any other marks that may have been a part of that fall. The guys laughed at me for two days for talking to my gun. What they didn't see was the tear that fell from my eye when I saw what was happening.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I was out deer hunting, and when I got out of the truck I leaned my original Marlin 1896 .30-30 against the truck. Octagon barrel, bull horn sights, it was an oldie and a beauty. I watched in horror after I gently shut the door of the truck. That was enough to make it slide over, smack the front sight on the bed and then plop in the mud.

That was the last time I took it out hunting after that.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Sorry guys but it is a gun it is not my little girl. When she gets scratches and bumps and bruises I hurt too (sometimes more than she does). My Kimber has some scratches and some holster wear on it but it is clean and it shoots straight (even straighter now I have Crimson Traces on it).

I don't rub my truck or my scooter with a diaper either they get me from one place to another.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Um, this running-after-the-BG-in-a-rainy-alley thing... What was the cause of that? Were you working as an LEO or something??

Yes peacefuljeffrey it was a LEO thing. Back when I was young and dumb and would chase anything that ran on foot. Years later I remember talking to wiser LEO's and discovered almost any foot chase can be done better by staying in your car, driving up and over curbs,and after a few extra burps on the siren that BG's are a lot of times in really bad shape and scared. Running your heart out and finding the Po Po still behind you and not even winded takes a lot of fight out of them.
    Now I would just love to have had the same attitude that most of you have stated and kept the Python with the beauty marks. Like I said it was a long time ago.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links