Arkansas HB 1027: Stand Your Ground

This is a discussion on Arkansas HB 1027: Stand Your Ground within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just learned this weekend that there are some interesting actions being considered by the 86th Arkansas General Assembly. One bill would repeal the section ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas HB 1027: Stand Your Ground

Arkansas HB 1027: Stand Your Ground

I just learned this weekend that there are some interesting actions being considered by the 86th Arkansas General Assembly.

One bill would repeal the section of Code that provides "Carrying a knife with a blade of 3 1/2 inches or longer shall be prima facie proof of carrying a weapon."

The other, HB1027, would remove the duty to retreat, provide some immunity from civil proceedings in cases of use of deadly force, and provide for a presumption that a citizen has reasonbly used deadly force. It also provides for deadly force as a defense against a pattern of domestic abuse.

You can read it here.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

2. Remove Ads

I'm all for everything except making it okay to use deadly force against 'a pattern of domestic abuse' Because that just says its okay for them to shoot before leaving the scum. Doesn't seem right to me.

Threre's help out there for any woman who is being abused.It dosen't bother me when the battered wife shoots the scum bag she should try other avenues for help first.

Agreed, TomG....but, since my wife is one of those women who narrowly escaped a "pattern of domestic abuse" with her life...forget possessions...and whereas I'm paying for her counseling...I can see the other side of the coin, too. Oh...and forget restraining orders... It didn't stop her ex from approaching her. Fortunately, he wasn't angry or high at the time.

When I told her about this bill and its provisions she was ecstatic...especially about the "domestic abuse" clause. She said that she had taken several beatings and passed up several opportunites because she thought she'd only be escaping from hell to go to prison.........

Complicated issues...........

Michael

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    In Oklahoma we have had a 'stand your ground' law since last year and it is very reassuring. I hope the Ark. legislature acts as positively as our legislature did.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

I am all for the pattern of domestic abuse clause. Too many times the law is unable to really help someone until after they are dead or crippled. I think if the critter is beating thier domestic and the domestic defends themselves that should be the end of it.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Update: HB 1027 has been reported by the House Judiciary Committee as engrossed. It is on the agenda for the February 8 cmte meeting to discuss an amendment to exempt death and retirement benefits of certain public employees from civil proceedings following from a use of force.

So, fellow Arkies, we still have opportunity to write to the committee in support of this bill. A recommendation of "Do Pass" or "Do Pass as Amended" will almost assure passage in the House. Then we get to lobby the Senate.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone View Post
    Update: HB 1027 has been reported by the House Judiciary Committee as engrossed. It is on the agenda for the February 8 cmte meeting to discuss an amendment to exempt death and retirement benefits of certain public employees from civil proceedings following from a use of force.

So, fellow Arkies, we still have opportunity to write to the committee in support of this bill. A recommendation of "Do Pass" or "Do Pass as Amended" will almost assure passage in the House. Then we get to lobby the Senate.

Michael
    Excellent! Please keep us informed on the progress of this.

great to here that. Here in FL we have the stand your ground law. This is a great law. Keep us informed how it goes.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    As several other states have already passed this law, maybe the "good" people that represent us will wise up. Hopefully this is becoming more and more the norm. On the domestic issue the abuser is a person that has shown a pattern of abuse and will not stop. Slap them in jail, when they get out they blame the person that they abuse. Not all abusers are male, there are females that do the same.
    Last edited by AnimalKracker; February 9th, 2007 at 04:42 PM.

Here in Georgia we have it too. Went in to effect last July 1st. Although we have never had a duty to retreat, the law does include it. We are also immune from civil liabilty.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I didn't catch all of it on the Memphis news, but something similar is going on in Tn. also.

Update: Next Judiciary Cmte. Meeting

HB1027 was deferred to the Feb. 13 meeting of the Judiciary Cmte to consider the amendment offered by Rep. Brown to "Exempt certain death or disability benefits of covered public employees or their survivors from legal process."

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    I'm all for everything except making it okay to use deadly force against 'a pattern of domestic abuse' Because that just says its okay for them to shoot before leaving the scum.
    There are plenty of folks that can't just pack up and leave. The "help" out there isn't always visible or immediately available. And if the person about to leave has no money, possessions, credit or contacts who can assist, that person's on her own. To my way of thinking it recognizes this conundrum. Though, surely someone who takes this step is going to have to justify it, but that's no different than anyone else.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Trouble is it sounds like with the "pattern of domestic abuse", a woman has to have had it happen a number of times BEFORE, there is a "pattern". And that it had better be documented by the police.. IMHO I'd rather ride on the "I was in fear of my life" defence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links