NC Handgun purchase permit and administrative discharge from the military

This is a discussion on NC Handgun purchase permit and administrative discharge from the military within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone. Looking to purchase my first handgun and went to apply for my purchase permit. I saw in the eligibility information that about discharges ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: NC Handgun purchase permit and administrative discharge from the military

Hey everyone. Looking to purchase my first handgun and went to apply for my purchase permit. I saw in the eligibility information that about discharges from the military and being able to purchase a hand gun. I was administratively seprated from the Marines with an OTH. Is this gonna hinder me from buying or hand gun or does this just keep me from getting a Concealed carry permit?

Check with an attorney licensed to practice in NC who is knowledgeable in firearms law. Internet advise is worth what you pay for it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    NC law says this is cause for ineligability for a handgun purchase permit:

The applicant has been discharged from the U.S. armed forces under
    dishonorable conditions;

Whether an OTH discharge will be accepted it doesn't say. Apply and find put. It may be on a case-by-case matter, depending on the reason/situation of discharge.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I used to work for the Dept of Veterans Affairs, Chapter 30. A criterion for veterans to be approved for Chapter 30 benefits was that the discharge was not dishonorable. Several veterans were OTH, and that did not prevent them from Chapter 30, but YMMV.
    SIGP250 likes this.

Oth is not dishonorable- they're different on a 214.
    SIGP250 and shadowwalker like this.

One option is to spend the money to talk to a lawyer.

Second option is to apply and have your reasons for the OTH ready to present if needed.

The full statute is here.

G.S. 14-404

Normally I tell folks to get there concealed handgun permit, but looks like that might not work here. They address OTH as a prohibiting factor for issuing the permit, b-7.

G.S. 14-415.12
    scottync likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Looks like I'm in the clear. I read a few where other vets with oth ' s got purchase permits but couldn't get a concealed. An OTH is a administrative separation and not a punitive or dishonorable.

It's in the wording. ....applying for purchase can be denied for discharges under dishonorable conditions and the concealed is not permitted for discharges for anything other then Honorable. ...thanks for the help.

VIP Member
    It appears that an "OTHC" discharge is issued as NJP. If it had been a Bad Conduct or Dishonorable you would automatically been denied, since they are considered felony convictions. You should be good to go. Just remember IANAL.

BTW - Welcome to the forum.
    SIGP250 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you are just wanting a purchase permit, the cost is $5 and you will have your answer quickly.

What's IANAL? If you don't mind me asking? And thank you. Looking forward to exercising my constitutional right and buying my first firearm. I missed shooting at the range since I got out.

Good luck and welcome.

Just a side note, sheriffs have much more latitude on deciding whether or not to issue a pistol purchase permit than they do the concealed carry permit. Many will refuse the purchase permit for the same reasons a carry permit is denied. Other have even stricter requirements for pistol purchase permits citing 14-404 (a) (2) where it allows the sheriff to "Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant." so don't be too surprised if you get denied for a purchase permit.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I am not a lawyer
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Expect to have to show a sheriff officer what was involved with your OTH so he can make a judge if it was because of something out side the military or in . Make an appointment with the deputy assigned to handling the concealed carry paper work and see what he says. Hes the one that's going to decide anyhow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links