Harrodsburg conceal/carry class for deaf a first for KY

This is a discussion on Harrodsburg conceal/carry class for deaf a first for KY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting Harrodsburg conceal/carry class for deaf a first for KY - The Advocate Messenger: Local...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 6 Post By scottync
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 2 Post By robhic
  • 3 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 2 Post By denclaste
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Harrodsburg conceal/carry class for deaf a first for KY

VIP Member

Excellent!!!
    FAN-DAMN-TASTIC!!!

I am a rehabilitation counselor and work with all disabilities. The inclusion of the hearing impaired population in CCW is AWESOME!
    I just wish I had been approached to assist in the endeavor, but if not, WHO CARES? As long as it gets done is the main focus.

This is America, so:

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL!
    MasterGadgets likes this.

VIP Member
    Good for them. The only possible problem I can see arising is not being able to hear LEO commands after a shoot. If that happens, everybody and their brother will be all over the LEO for not knowing the person was deaf and not able to hear their commands.

I'm sure someone will come up with a Hearing Impaired sash to wear for them. They might even make a combo SSW/Hearing Impaired sash as well!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes, archer51, appropriate accommodations will have to be made, and wrongful shootings will probably occur (just like the possibility exists for you and me) but this is the first step.

I am ALL for inclusion, both the good points and the bad. Provide opportunities for identical rights, responsibilities, and hazards. It is what it is.

I think this is an amazing idea. Unfortunately, I am afraid the hearing challenged (is that the PC term?) will be at a disadvantage with situational awareness and I'd hope they can make up for it. But, otherwise, I think this is a great thing to help these people to protect themselves and others just like the hearing community does. Congratulations to those who hold the classes and those who get their permits. I'd like to see more disabled-oriented training available.
    baren and Jackster like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Well, good for those who want their CCL/CHL.
    Now if they start giving the liscense in Braille.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

The part about this that I find most irritating is that classes like these are not a normal occurrence. The descriptor of "deaf" is like the other one people see as non shooters, "blind".

Neither condition is binary as in you are totally blind or deaf vs what we refer to as normal. Many people that are legally classified as "deaf" actually have some level of hearing whether by additional hearing aids or unaided. Most have gone through a period of learning to compensate for the diminished hearing with more active visual scans and a higher awareness of surroundings. It's no different that when a deaf driver is stopped by LE, they may not hear the siren but the lights catch their attention more than most non hearing impaired.

The other thing that irritates me is that I've not pursued this on my part more diligently to make it more common.

Guess I'm off to the races to find a person who loves shooting and knows sign language. (and to brush up on my own skills in that area)

Thanks scottync!
    denclaste, Jackster and scottync like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    I think this is an amazing idea. Unfortunately, I am afraid the hearing challenged (is that the PC term?) will be at a disadvantage with situational awareness and I'd hope they can make up for it. But, otherwise, I think this is a great thing to help these people to protect themselves and others just like the hearing community does. Congratulations to those who hold the classes and those who get their permits. I'd like to see more disabled-oriented training available.
    Usually, "hearing impaired." But, HEY, for everything there is a first time.

For awhile I dated a hearing impaired woman. She was alarmed about my CHL, and her completely deaf roommate was freaked out by it. I encouraged her to obtain a CHL, but she would sign to me asking where...and I did not know an answer. Poopoo!!

Yes, scottync, a BIG "thank you" for this article.
    scottync likes this.

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    The hearing impaired probably have a more acute sense of situational awareness than you do. They have to in order to deal daily with everyday life. I see no reason why they cant be valued members of the CC community also.
    Aceoky and ccw9mm like this.

I for one am not really surprised this is in Ky - we take the right to bear arms very seriously !
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Outstanding idea, but I can't resist asking.... why are they wearing earplugs?

before anyone jumps on me for being insensitive or whatever, I also have a pretty significant hearing loss
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    The hearing impaired probably have a more acute sense of situational awareness than you do. They have to in order to deal daily with everyday life. I see no reason why they cant be valued members of the CC community also.

Plus, nothing in the 2A exempts "impaired" folks from either ownership or carrying of arms for their own use. And it's not as though hearing justifies defense against a violent assault whereas lack of hearing means the person has no such right.

Can't imagine folks would have a problem with refusing to deny folks the right, merely because they don't hear as well. As though that's indicative of increased willingness or tendency to "spray and pray" or whatever euphemism for failing to have sense, responsibility and control might be called?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
    Outstanding idea, but I can't resist asking.... why are they wearing earplugs?

before anyone jumps on me for being insensitive or whatever, I also have a pretty significant hearing loss
    Do you risk losing your remaining hearing when you don't have to?
    Aceoky and ccw9mm like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

This is great. It also made me aware that the ability to protect yourself and your loved ones are things that every law abiding person deserves. With proper emphasis to maximize the effectiveness and safety relative to the impairment the training should be invaluable. It makes me wonder if there are similar courses for people in wheelchairs or with other disabilities. If not, there should be.

Sponsored Links