So I'm finally understanding the "naked feeling" everyone talks about

This is a discussion on So I'm finally understanding the "naked feeling" everyone talks about within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now, I've only been carrying for a few months but I had my first experience with the "naked" feeling everyone talks about when they are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm finally understanding the "naked feeling" everyone talks about

Now, I've only been carrying for a few months but I had my first experience with the "naked" feeling everyone talks about when they are unarmed.

Today, I had to show up at my local university campus. I had a few errands to run before hand so I figured I'd shoot over and leave my gun at home....it couldn't be that bad for an hour or so right?

Wow....I just didn't feel right. It's amazing, like I had left the house without pants or something (and yes I am sure I had my pants on).

From now on my gun will be, at the very least, in my car.

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Lol rember your tool resides on your waistband , your weapon resides between your ears .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member (Retired Staff) Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Ryan - naked? Yes .... very!

It is rare indeed I have to divest of my piece but a good example is when (almost against my wishes for this reason) I go on a bike run that will take me into foreign territory - read MD!

The gun stays home and heck - that really feels like nekkid for sure. It is otherwsie a total part of my everyday gear, even if as hoped never needed. But I sure fear the day that I do need, and it's one of those few where I have had to be a good boy and leave it behind.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    West of the Big Muddy and between the Borders.
    RR: I don't know about that. I have seen some very simple tools and it was all about what was between the ears. ROFL

Ryan, I know what you mean. I carried at work for 7 years and when I couldn't anymore, I was nervous as hell for months afterwards until I just got used to it. At the very least, like you, when I can't have it with me, it is close at hand.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

You know what's funny? I've carried for so long that I don't even think about it much when it's on my belt. I know it's there but I don't dwell on it. But a couple weeks ago I got ready to out to dinner with my wife and got distracted at the last minute and failed to put it on. I soon realized it but didn't go back. All night I was nervous and VERY consious that I was unprotected. I felt terrible! It was on my mind all night. So I guess you could say that I feel undressed without my gun!

Senior Moderator

Leave The House Check-Off...

Wallet? Yes...
    Watch? Yes...
    Keys? Yes...
    OC Spray? Yes...
    Ken Onion/Leek? Yes...
    Kimber Ultra? Yes...
    Extra Mag? Yes...

OK...Let's head out...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO its easy to fall into the " unarmed " mindset if we happen not to have our favorite pistol . but damm remember we are not victoms , and it does not take our pistol to enable us , the pistol is the best final tool we can have to handle a situation. Howeaver if we have to resort to it chances are our other skills have failed . For myself , my weapon is my mindset , tools are knives , guns , and even unarmed force to enforce my thoughts and attitude . I will use any thing at hand , from words to firearms , but i dont depend on any one tool working . nor do i feel naked if i am stripped of one tool . just food for thought ymmv
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I had to go with my other half for a function at Turner field (Atlanta Braves) at Hank Aarons' private box (755 club) tonite. I had to leave my colt mustang behind. It was one of the few times that I couldn't carry. It was hard, and I felt really vulnerable.
    How tough was it you say ??? I carry at work, so its a part of me like my watch and wallet.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I went to Lowe's unarmed today and it just didn't feel right either. It's wierd that I went for 32 years basically unarmed, but in 6 months I now feel naked.

It does feel a heck of a lot different when your used to feeling that handgun right on your belt. You do feel naked without it. It's like wearing a seatbelt. I've worn my seatbelt religiously since I was 17 years old. If I get in a car and don't have it on before the car starts moving, I feel lost.

Gotta have my seatbelts on at all times if at all possible!!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Redneck,

You have it exactly right. I find that there are many places I go on different days that are off limits to carry. Sometimes I leave it in the car, sometimes I have to go without. Never changes my "condition".

I think I am a little different than many, in that I view my gun as much as a means to retreat as a means to stop a threat. I just don't see the scenario playing out that I am going to dig in and "duke it out" with the BG. If I have to employ deadly force, I am equally interested in getting out of the situation that posed the danger to my life to begin with by physically retreating to a place of safety.

If I am without the tool, the retreat happens sooner and more hastily, or as you state, by using whatever tool I have at hand.

I echo your response, armed or not, never a sheep.

Dave.
    Go beyond that which is required of you...

I agree that the gun is only one of the tools of self defense, the main one being your attitude; "I will not be a victim".

However, remember that Murphy's Law says that the probability that the bread will land jelly side down increases with the cost of the carpet.

I'm not afraid to go without my gun but on those occassions where I had to, I remembered thinking: wouldn't it be just my luck if the one day I am assaulted is the one day I am not armed.

Yep. I have had that "naked" feeling on several occassions.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I know exactly what you mean. The very, very few times I have ever been out and about and not carrying, I do not feel right at all.

I had a job interview last weekend and I did not carry at the interview. I felt "off"...just not right. I hate it.

I don't go anywhere unarmed. Not to the grocery store. Not to the Doctors Office. No where. I wonder sometimes how people who don't carry can exist in such a state of oblivion that they don't feel vulnerable when out in public with the scum of the Earth walking among them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I know what you are talking about. I've been carrying for a few months now and understand how you feel. I go to my kids school a lot and can't carry there. Sometimes I feel like I'd rather be outside in my underwear rather than being without Mr. Glock.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by robinsonre View Post
    Now, I've only been carrying for a few months but I had my first experience with the "naked" feeling everyone talks about when they are unarmed.

Today, I had to show up at my local university campus. I had a few errands to run before hand so I figured I'd shoot over and leave my gun at home....it couldn't be that bad for an hour or so right?

Wow....I just didn't feel right. It's amazing, like I had left the house without pants or something (and yes I am sure I had my pants on).

From now on my gun will be, at the very least, in my car.

- Ryan
    I live just north of you.
    When I'm here in the suburbs where I live, it's not a big deal.
    I know how to run, and I'm very fast. Just try to catch me.
    But I won't go down to Reno unless I'm carrying.
    ESPECIALLY if I'm anywear around 4th street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links