Defensive Carry banner

A Rose by Any Other Name Smells as Sweet

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Chorizo 
#1 ·
A member of my shooting club has twice announced at club meetings that he wishes we wouldn't refer to our guns as "weapons" or say that we're going to the range to "play" with our "toys." He's really serious about the impressions these terms have on the public. I don't know him well, but I think he probably doesn't carry for self defense and only shoots in bullseye league. He might as well refer to his handgun as a bowling ball.

To me, my ccw gun is a defensive weapon, and I don't mind using the term. And when I buy a new "weapon" I can't wait to get it to the range and play with it.

#2 ·
Call your weapon a gun in the Marine Corps and you get to learn a special little dance and a ditty to sing while you dance.

The person in question needs to quit hanging around with sheep.

"This is my rifle and this is my gun. This is for killing and this..........."

#3 ·
Semantics. I can see both sides of the coin. In this day and age; one man's "life-saving-device" is another man's "deadly-assault-cop-killer-weapon"... I agree that no-one should be playing word games, however, we should also be carefull of the words we use to describe our hobby.

#4 ·
We have been down this forum road already before...but, lots of new members here since then.

The word "weapon" does not bother me but, mostly I use Firearm ~ Handgun ~ Rifle ~ Revolver.
Probably subliminal "mental conditioning" due to me living smack in the middle of a huge flock of sheep.

.................:sheep:
:sheep: QKShooter :sheep:
.................:sheep:

#5 ·
I'm with QK. However, its a mentality for me.

I am of the thought that ANYTHING can be used to defend yourself - they are just tools. The real weapon is your mind and its ability to think "sheep" or "dog."

Really its just semantics. That's my opinion of it, but the discussion will vary wildly across the spectrum. But then again I'm also guilty of referring to firearms as guns, "evil items", etc.

#6 ·
It doesn't make sense that someone that uses his guns as nothing more than sporting equipment would have a problem with someone saying that they were going to the range to play with their toys. To him, that is exactly what they are.

I have, and do, use just about every known term for a firearm. It may be a gun, pistol, rifle, revolver, noise maker, weapon, tack driver, toy, bullet thrower, 17 round hole punch, or even a gat. I think it just depends who I am talking to and what type of reaction I am looking to get.

#7 ·
We have been down this road before and not so long ago. I like to call it as it is, to me its my weapon. If the elder gentleman wants to call his weapon something else thats fine to me. I have a lot more to worry about than trying not to upset the sheep by not using scary words like weapon. If words like this scares you, please do not come outside. Keep yourself locked inside your house because there are a lot more scary things in this world other than the word weapon.

#10 ·
That's the typical NRA attitude. I am a Life Member of the NRA and an NRA firearms instructor.

First, let me say that the NRA does good stuff. They are the 500lb. gorilla. They are not an "in-your-face" organization like Gun Owners of America (I'm also a member).

Both organizations like both attitudes have a place in the battle for our 2nd Amendment rights.

I know the PC terms are sometimes frustrating. The NRA tells its instructors to avoid the word "weapon". It gets funny when you see a military guy trying to get through the instructors class while not saying the word "weapon".

I personally avoid the word ONLY because it screws me up in the NRA classes I teach.

Otherwise, I would prefer to call a spade a spade. These are weapons that we train with to kill people if a bad guy puts our lives at risk.

Another PC story. I shoot at the NRA range. Once I brought in a target I bought elsewhere. It was a humanoid black silhouette target. One of the range officers came out and said that my target had to come down.

I asked why since they sell silhouette targets. I was told that mine was too human looking since it had ears and the arms were distinguishable.

If we can't call our handguns weapons, what should I call my AK-47? Maybe a "high speed, target disassembly device"?

#11 ·
Softer To The Ears?

I don't really care about the term gun in my circle of friends. Posting on CC does not give me cause to refrain from the word gun, weapon, firearm, etc.

However, in some places, I have found it less of a hassle to use a PC term...perhaps.
i.e....when checking my gun at the airport, I usually don't walk up to the counter and announce..."Hi, I would like to check in my GUN!" I take a softer approach and announce..."Hi, I would like to check in a firearm"
With police encounters (only had them with a burglary incident) I also refrain from using the term 'gun' and instead refer to my firearm or weapon.

When walking among the :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:, I tend to refer to my gun as a 'sidearm'...this tends to catch the sheep sleeping. If in a situation where the conversation about a gun comes up...I use the reply term, sidearm...and they seem to keep baaaaaaaa, baaaaaaa...without a flinch...works well for me.

I still know that my gun, weapon, sidearm, firearm, mechanical lead catapulting device, whatever...will allow me the chance to protect me and mine...regardles of the term used.:yup:

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:comeandgetsome:

#13 ·
After 20 years in the Army and the same little song and dance that that JARHEAD Chorizo talked about it is always a weapon. My CHL instructor kept telling me not to call it a weapon but call it a handgun. I tried to do that during the class but 16 hours vs 20 years I call it a weapon.

#15 ·
Call me stubborn, but I call it whatever I feel like calling it. The idea that there is a "politically correct" term for 'gun,' 'weapon,' 'firearm,' etc is nothing but pure jackassery to me; even if it comes from pro-2A types. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.