When "concealed" isn't really concealed.

This is a discussion on When "concealed" isn't really concealed. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a state where we have both concealed and open carry. I know everyone is practically anal about concealed weapons not printing on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: When "concealed" isn't really concealed.

I live in a state where we have both concealed and open carry. I know everyone is practically anal about concealed weapons not printing on garments but how important is that in a state that allows both? If it prints so little that very few people would realize what it is, is it all that big a deal?
    Chris

If I'm laying in an emergency room, dying from a gunshot wound, I don't want to answer my wife's inquiry as to why I wasn't armed with "There was a 'no handgun' sign on the door and my integrity got the best of me!"

If it shows it's open if not concled impo no middle ground .

That is how I owb .. Lazy ie it still shows a little bit
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Michigan is the same, both CC & OC. I am concealed 99% of the time but the nice thing is that I don't sweat printing or accidentally exposing my pistol.

I would check the exact wording of your laws though. There may be some legal landmines you need to avoid.
    Kutz and G26Raven like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

No open carry here... But printing is legal so anything covered goes. Spandex over a full-size gun whatever lol
    gloves12 likes this.

VIP Member
    IMHO when it comes to OC states, concealment is more of a personal preference.

OC is legal in GA (with a weapons license), but in most situations I still do my best to conceal anyway because I just prefer that other people don't know I am carrying. I won't go crazy to conceal in most situations, but I do check to make sure I am concealed. This changes when I am on my own property, but it is still pretty rare for me to OC.
    kaikane0812 likes this.

I have been known to "lazy carry" at times (too lazy to make a cover garment work, so I just carry and print). I do this occasionally in the summer. I have never had a problem while doing so.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I think "some folks" sweat it far too much , NO ONE is likely looking that closely at You(even if you're a hot young chick with literally painted on jeans) I'm very much doubting they would at ME ; I don't want to print for other reasons, legality doesn't even make the .01% though (OC or CC here also)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chris54326 View Post
    ... but how important is that in a state that allows both?
    Depends on who, where, and what impact that can mean for you.

Legally speaking, your state might well have a definition on the books declaring straightforwardly that mere visibility or awareness of someone carrying cannot be taken to equate to brandishing, disturbing the peace or any other crime or infraction of any sort. Though, some states have no such statement, and clearly many states inflict these petty deceits upon citizens who are doing nothing beyond walking along while being seen carrying.

And then, beyond the law's confines, there are those folks whom you might not want to know you're carrying. Might be in a somewhat sensitive spot. Might be the in-laws, where you'd just as soon them remain in the dark about it. Might be in your own neighborhood, where you're not so keen on all the neighbors knowing of you as "the armed guy across the way."

Depends on your situation, your state's statutes on how far zealot hired staff are prepared to go to press the issue.

Thankfully, I live in a state where both CC and OC is well tolerated. Though, even here, there are indeed the occasional folks who seem to get bent at the concept. Much good it does them, given how iron-clad the laws are, and how well-entrenched the heavily-armed citizenry is. In my case, it's not that relevant. For you, though, it'll depend on your situation.
    Aceoky and ShooterGranny like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I think. The laws in Oklahoma indicate it's legal if the weapon prints...........so I'm safe in that respect. My concern is, is there any reason (other than any legal aspect) to feel it's necessary to "ultra-conceal" the weapon.
    Chris

If I'm laying in an emergency room, dying from a gunshot wound, I don't want to answer my wife's inquiry as to why I wasn't armed with "There was a 'no handgun' sign on the door and my integrity got the best of me!"

VIP Member
    Alabama has both CC and OC and they can't get you for accidently showing you cc weapon. I think it's really a peraonal thing. I cc most of the time for the simple reason I just don't want people to know I have a gun. I strive to ensure I don't print and that my cloths cover well if I bend over or stretch. But again it's personal by my just not wanting others to know.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris54326 View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific, I think. The laws in Oklahoma indicate it's legal if the weapon prints...........so I'm safe in that respect. My concern is, is there any reason (other than any legal aspect) to feel it's necessary to "ultra-conceal" the weapon.
    Your situation. Your concern.

How do you feel about an inconvenient MWAG call? Is that something you worry about? It's all about what you are comfortable with.
    Last edited by RoadRunner71; November 15th, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Distinguished Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    I understand the concept basically. Open and/or concealed carry. However, it's up to the individual. Personally, I never do anything half (donkey). When I carry concealed, it is just that, concealed without a visible clue. Doing it half (you know), just wouldn't be concealed by definition. Legally, one might be fine doing concealed with a bit of revelation or whatever you might want to call it. It's not a moral issue, it's living to one's own standards. Is it a big deal? If it's not to you, then it's not to me. I think wearing pajamas in public should be illegal. Theoretically it should be one way or the other IMO. Gray areas are reserved for the written laws.
    Bama61 likes this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Other reasons?
    Well, some feel like IF a bad guy(s) know you're armed you're a "target" (to take your gun or your life ), others not so much. I imagine where you live/carry may make this more or less important- a MWAG call around here is useless LEO won't respond (at all) unless there is evidence of something illegal going on- your location may vary on that- (even though you're legal you may get "hassled" "I" personally just prefer to not usually print - IF I do "no big deal" though

YMMV
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I went around half a day with my fly open and no one seemed to notice, embarrassed the hell out of me when I finally realized it.
    Guess I'm not going to worry too much about a little printing.

the only people who see your cc weapon are old cops that have seen it all, other hyper alert carriers who are bored and playing spot the gun, and kids who see things from a different angle than most others. I have walked up and talked to people with a G23 in a owb holster and them never notice it.
    JDavisArk and ShooterGranny like this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links