VA resident wanting to CC in DE.

This is a discussion on VA resident wanting to CC in DE. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Delaware recently stopped honoring Virginia resident CCW in their reciprocity. I have family in DE and want to be able to carry there. Is anybody ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: VA resident wanting to CC in DE.

Delaware recently stopped honoring Virginia resident CCW in their reciprocity. I have family in DE and want to be able to carry there.

Is anybody familiar with the options that I have in order to legally conceal carry in DE as a VA resident?
    Will having a non resident permit in a state, such as Florida, that holds reciprocity with DE be honored?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Looks like either a Florida or Utah nonresident permit will give you the right to carry in Delaware. I pulled this info from https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/ . Be aware that neither would give you the right to carry in Maryland or DC which I believe you need to through to get to DE. The cost of a Utah nonresident permit is $51 plus cost of class, Florida nonresident permit cost looks to be $117 plus cost of class.

VIP Member
    Welcome from the Richmond area. It appears DE will honor a non-resident permit from a state whose permit they honor, so a FL non-resident permit would work.

Not sure where you are in VA, but if it were me, I'd take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to minimize the time I had to spend in MD during the trip.
    varob likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

In these days of plate readers, I'm not sure I'd be sanguine about going through the PRofMD, armed, with a CC license.
    Last edited by Speculator; November 19th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will look into some of these non resident permits that DE honors. I do have to pass through MD to get to DE but I will definitely double check MD's transporting laws beforehand. From what I've read I believe that if I have the firearm unloaded in the trunk when I pass through there it's perfectly legal.

yes. If you travel in accordance with FOPA (unloaded in trunk) you'll be fine.

Never consent to a search either.

This is why I have more then one permit. One day a state will honor your permit and the next day they will not.
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

If you are a vet and you have a copy of your DD214. You can get a FL non resident with no gun safety course. I got mine with in a month.
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

In Maryland my security/training company advised a combo lock gun box with a steel cable tethered to an anchor. This safegaurds your box cannot be opened "accidentally" during a traffic stop. Also keep in mind you can be asked to step out of the car and an officer can lawfully sit in the drivers seat and "examine" anything within reach. (not locked) Lastly No medication in the console over the counter or not...it is an excuse to have it processed. Ok one more... by law don't stray off interstate to site see that can be an infraction but if you stay in a motel consider this your residence.

Sponsored Links