Never overlook the garment sweep.

This is a discussion on Never overlook the garment sweep. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am no slickster when it comes to speed - but from an exposed rig I manage around 1.1 to 1.15 to first shot from ...

Thread: Never overlook the garment sweep.

Assistant Administrator

I am no slickster when it comes to speed - but from an exposed rig I manage around 1.1 to 1.15 to first shot from retention. I'd like to improve on that and try but ....... keep at it!

However, the one thing I really really always feel the need to concentrate on is the garment sweep to access the firearm ... to be able to draw at all!!

The nature of the garment makes quite a difference too - and whether it be vest or longer heavier winter shirt ........ the consistent sweep being successful is IMO paramount.

If weak hand is free then that'll be be used - and works pretty reliably but - say that hand is fending off then strong hand must do the business.

That is where I feel practice is most essential ...... with any and all garments. Do y'all practice this aspect? Dry fire routines are most helpful IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i practice sweeping and lifting (depending on the cover garment) on a regular basis and "review" a few times before i head out the door. i too consider it one of those details that could very easily cost someone their life.

That's an important aspect of the whole picture. I've grabbed a handfull of shirt a couple a weeks ago trying to do a reload on the run, same principle.

You can have different techniques for different cover garments- closed front like a t-shirt, or open front like a camp shirt.

What I was taught for closed front could also work for open front. This is used if your off hand is fending off an attacker, ie controlling the attackers limb that is closest to your weapon. Your gun hand starts at below the shirt line and you make a long sweeping counter clockwise motion with your palm flat against your body and thumb is extended. Your thumb hooks the garment and lifts it out of the way during the circle movement. It's hard to describe, easier to demonstrate.

Here's a video of the class I took last year, ECQC (Extreme Close Quarters Concepts) in Portland. The instructor is Southnarc.
    mms://totalprotectioninteractive.com...Portland02.wmv
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

I also try to practice sweeping and lifting on a regular basis. And if the conditions permit, I practice retreval and proper draw from my car since I am on the road a lot.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    i practice sweeping and lifting (depending on the cover garment) on a regular basis and "review" a few times before i head out the door. i too consider it one of those details that could very easily cost someone their life.
    Same here. a few practice sweeps before heading out to be sure the clothing will work, and refresh the old draw moves.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carry my wallet in the lower right hand pocket of my vest (my usual cover garment). When I throw it out of the way with my right hand, it clears the gun very well. Of course, if I were wearing shorts with sandals and white sox, it would change my methodology, since the distraction would be enough to stun the BG and give me all kinds of time to draw.
    (New members, if confused, ask our outstanding Assistant Administrator, P95Carry for an explanation...or picture!)
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Assistant Administrator
    Q-ball - indeed the strong hand thumb use is essential and is probably the key to that approach. I am as I type downloading that .WMV altho it is a slow job seemingly from that server.

I hear good things of Southnarc and have been greatly influenced by his thinking on ''task fixation".
    Chris - P95

Assistant Administrator
    Swifty (John) - you are treading on thin ice now

Picture? No thank you - that got me into all sortsa of trouble
    Chris - P95

Assistant Administrator
    Here's a video of the class I took last year
    Heck Q-ball - that took over 15 mins + to download - doubt I had better than 200k peak speed!!

Anyways - wow! That was a lotta intense stuff that's for sure!!! Not so sure this ol fart coulda lasted the distance
    Chris - P95

All of my draws in dry fire are done from concealment, so I get a lot of practice. I carry pretty much exclusively with a open cover garment, (this time of year usually an unbuttoned denim or flannel shirt) so it's all sweeping rather than lifting. The technique I've found works best is to hook the front edge of the cover garment with the fingers of my strong hand. I'm not grabbing the shirt, just hooking and dragging it back. As my hand gets closer to by gun (IWB holster about 3:15), my hand pivots downward so I'm pushing the shirt with my pinky and the bottom of my hand. I push the shirt back an inch or two further than the butt of my gun, so I'm sure that it's clear, then I grab the gun and continue the draw. For me, this is a fairly quick and very reliable method. The only time I ever end up getting a handful of shirt instead of a clean grip on the gun is when I'm really trying to do it very fast (I had this experience today during a drill when I was trying to draw and fire on briefly exposed target). As long as I don't push beyond the limit, it works really well.

Most of my practice is with a cover garment both at home with dummy rounds and live at the range. My cover garments are for the most part jackets, vests or an open shirt and I usually practice with a one handed sweep. The area I lack in practice especially during the winter months is a one handed lift with a pull over shirt.
    Thanks for the thread Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Heck Q-ball - that took over 15 mins + to download - doubt I had better than 200k peak speed!!

Anyways - wow! That was a lotta intense stuff that's for sure!!! Not so sure this ol fart coulda lasted the distance
    Yeah I know it takes a while, I tested it after I linked it.

I have that video saved on my harddrive, but don't know how to attach it in a post.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

VIP Member
    I was actually able to view the video very quickly. Maybe you just have to have insomnia and do it at 3:00 AM CST.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Practice, Practice, Practice.
    That's why pilots regularly fly "the simulator".
    Your brain can't tell the difference between a good simulation and the real thing.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Assistant Administrator
    don't know how to attach it in a post
    Actually at 22Mb it would not attach anyways as our limit is around 4Mb. I expect my download was wrong time of day - I have noticed at odd times if a server real busy or my satellite traffic excessive, things can slow right back.
    Chris - P95

Sponsored Links