Winter re-holstering

This is a discussion on Winter re-holstering within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK you folks down south - you can go back to your sunbathing It has twice recently been noticeable that when reholstering after a bathroom ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter re-holstering

Assistant Administrator

Winter re-holstering

OK you folks down south - you can go back to your sunbathing

It has twice recently been noticeable that when reholstering after a bathroom visit, and still having some of the extra clothing layers on - that it is just possible to catch a part of a garment on the way thru re-holstering.

One case in particular, I had left my sweater on but then re applied my thick outer shirt, which I leave open. Only then did I reholster, but ..... despite my usual straight out trigger finger, noticed as the gun was part ways in, that the shirt had gotten caught up a bit - and on the inside of the rig too.

It made me wonder whether for the Glock contingent this just could be something to be careful with - as I reckoned the effect, had I continued, could have been a lump of material gathering on the trigger/or within the trigger guard.

With the SIG I am not overly concerned as it'd be pretty difficult to get a full DA pull - but struck me a Glock trigger just might be at risk. Of course the feel of extra resistance is probably gonna ring alarm bells but a too hasty re-holstering could still be tricky.

Only thinking out loud really, in case something to consider.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Have noticed the same thing. even a t shirt caught in the holster could be a potential problem. especially for those who have non safety , light trigger pull guns. (XD,Glock, ect. )
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 4th, 2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: minor typo
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

There's been at least one case of a clothing in the trigger-guard when reholstering ND. A Salem Oregon deputy sheriff was holstering his Glock and on of the little cylindrical toggles that some jackets have on the ends of their drawstrings got caught inside the trigger guard. Unfortunately, he ended up with a bullet hole in his leg.

The XD has a grip safety. When I reholster my XD, I always make sure not to engage the grip safety just in case the trigger is accidentally caught and pulled. I always put my thumb on the back of the slide an holster it pushing there rather than disengaging a safety.

For my double action guns like sig or even my wheel guns I always rest my thumb on the hammer so I can tell if it starts back when holstering.

jay

VIP Member
    I put my thumb in the same place ou bird, even though I carry a Glock now and it doesn't matter. Old habits die hard. (I think it was Farnham that taught that.)

P95, it is something to think about. I have personally never had clothing caught in the trigger guard, and when I did put it there on purpose was unable to get the firing pin to fall on the empty chamber. But, the fact I have not been able to replicate it does not mean this hasn't happened or could not happen. Since I have moved to the NY1 trigger, the opportunity is even less- but I try to think about it when reholstering.

Since I am pretty confident about the situation, I will probably end up with an ND from it. If I do, I'll be sure to let everyone here know!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

In the monthly defensive pistol shoots we run, I’ve noticed this problem on a pretty regular basis. P95Carry is right, it happens more frequently in the winter when we tend to wear more layers of clothing. However, it does happen occasionally in the summer months, as well.

Very often, this is a problem following vigorous movement when IWB holsters tend to work up and down against your torso and drag your shirttail out. Most of us in the group who have been carrying for a while have gotten used to tucking our shirts in occasionally, and feeling for an un-tucked shirttail as we reholster. The folks who are newer to concealed carry seem to have trouble with this a bit more than those of us who have been carrying for a while.

Most of the time the shirttail either gets caught on the muzzle and stuffed into the holster with the gun or ends up getting pulled into the holster along the side of the gun. Occasionally, though, the shirttail does wad up next to the trigger guard. The guys watching the active shooter are pretty good about alerting the newer guys when they see this start to happen. After a bit, the newer guys start getting used to making sure their shirttail is tucked in, and checking to make sure it isn’t in the way when they reholster.

I guess this is just one of those things you have to get used to watching for when you carry a gun for personal protection.
    Last edited by Harold Green; February 4th, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Administrator
    It has happened to me.

I have to be carefull in the winter when I reholster. My 1911 tends to try and tuck my shirt into the holster. I either sweep the shirt back or totaly lift it.

Semper FI

Even In Florida...

I have noticed this to be a 'potential' problem with my Glock-36.

Like other 'conscious' techniques...I have been very aware of 'extra' steps when I carry my G-36...double check the shirt when 're' holstering...this CAN be a problem.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So far- so good. No accidents.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

My solution

Usually in the winter, I'll wear a t-shirt w/ a winter jacket, or a t-shirt and flannel with a leather jacket. My way of reholstering is to straighten my gun arm out (pointing firearm towards ground at an angle) then go through the motion of reholstering while keeping my elbow in contact with the side of my body as my elbow moves rearward. This catches my jacket and flannel on my elbow and moves them reaward clearing my holster of any clothing.

Now if your the type that keeps your jacket zipped, wears scarfs, gloves, ect when it gets below 50 degrees, this won't work for you.

Fortunately, here in CO it usually doesn't get cold enough to where I need to have my jacket zipped up, or have gloves on, which gives me faster access to my gun, if needed, than trying to get a gun out from underneath a zipped up jacket.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I can not re holster with my carry holster because it pancakes closed when I pull the weapon. I have to pull the holster and then put the holster back on. Which sounds like a good thing now although the Kimber has a safety.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    OK you folks down south - you can go back to your sunbathing
    Hey, it's been down in the teens at night here for the better part of a week and we've even had a bit of snow ... by ALL MEANS, you're more than welcome to take the cold weather back up there where you are!

Seriously though, you've made a timely post as I prepare to switch over to my first piece of Combat Tupperware. I was quite surprised to find the standard 5.5 lb Glock trigger to be as light and smooth as it was (compared to a DAO revolver) and after reading your post I might consider adding a NY trigger to give a bit more poundage to the trigger pull. Luckily the parts are cheap enough that it's an inexpensive experiment.
    Jack

I know of another case

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There's been at least one case of a clothing in the trigger-guard when reholstering ND. A Salem Oregon deputy sheriff was holstering his Glock and on of the little cylindrical toggles that some jackets have on the ends of their drawstrings got caught inside the trigger guard. Unfortunately, he ended up with a bullet hole in his leg.
    I know of a case where it was button on a vest that got into the trigger guard during reholstering. I wasn't present but know the person involved and have spoken to a witness. The incident occured during a training session and the vests were supplied to the trainee's by the sponsoring organization. The Glock discharged and the bullet traveled down the leg causing considerable damage and permanent disability.

The sponsoring organization has removed all buttons from the vests used in their training. I don't know if they made any changes to the Glocks they use. It's sobering to see this man with a brace on his leg and watching him walk.

Knowing things like this DO happen should make each of use even more careful handling our firearms. Thanks for bringing the topic up.

Rick
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Luckily, since I don't have a glock, I don't have that particular problem.
    But....thats something to ponder...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links