Stored in Car: Loaded or Unloaded

This is a discussion on Stored in Car: Loaded or Unloaded within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen several threads about how to store your gun in your car if you have to go into a place where the gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stored in Car: Loaded or Unloaded

I have seen several threads about how to store your gun in your car if you have to go into a place where the gun isn't allowed but I can't find a thread about whether the gun is left loaded or not.

I personally use the COM gun safe but I usually unload the gun before locking it in the safe.

My thoughts are that if anyone breaks into the car and breaks into the safe and takes the gun, I don't want them to have a fully loaded one at their disposal.

I generally keep the ammo with me. But it dawned on me that if, for any reason, I need to enter the courthouse I couldn't take the ammo in with me (metal detectors, etc). They would blow a fuse if I dumped a load of ammo in the basket before going through the metal detectors.

So, what does everyone else do? Do you think I am too worried about leaving the gun loaded?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Well if I am going out and about I try to make my rounds at places that I know I can carry. If I stop in a place to pick something up (ie: corner store that has the sign) I don't unarm. I just make sure that it is concealed. If I know I have to go to a place like court or school, I make that my first trip or last trip of the day. I leave my weapon at home and pick it up later. I rather be safe with my gun than be sorry that I let a punk break into my car and use my gun to rob someone.

I am not saying at all tht it is a good idea at all to walk into a place that has a posted sign. I like the owner there and have yet had time to explain the sign to him. Again I am not saying that it is ok to walk into a building with a sign.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I have seen several threads about how to store your gun in your car if you have to go into a place where the gun isn't allowed ...
    Only on a couple of occasions have I needed to leave the gun. Since then, I plan my route better to avoid such places (both times, was the Post Office). IMO, coming back to a gun that's locked in the trunk in two separate locked containers is foolish. Unloading it and separating the ammo from the gun prior to storage inside the cabin is only slightly less silly. A gun is only a weapon when it's loaded, hence anything I can do to keep it loaded more often is a good thing. I figure that if a criminal's going to steal the car, he's going to get both the gun and the ammo. Me, I'd prefer to be armed immediately following re-entry to the vehicle.

My alternative: Go armed, always. Only go to places that don't attempt to disarm. Works every time.

YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Loaded. The more F-in around with a gun you do the more of a chance of it making a loud noise when you don't want it to.

When I get back to my truck, I grab it, holster it and go on with life. There is no insert the mag, rack the slide, eject mag, top it off, reinstert mag. I do that BS after I clean it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Check your state laws &/or...

Check your state laws &/or...Local ordinances. This is the first piece of info you need to be aware of (also check laws/ord. when u go visit others).

THEN......

Use your own conscience as your guide as to where/when/how to go about your day to avoid the need to go unarmed. If you are used to having your back covered with your best friend, it's hell when you reach for him and he's in the car. Been there, done that, got 100+ sutures to remind me in the future .

No one can make these types of choices but you... getting input from friends helps in that proccess.

LIFE SAVING TOOLS CAN ONLY SAVE A LIFE WHEN THEY ARE ABLE TO BE GOTTEN TO QUICKLY AND PUT INTO USE BY PRACTICED/EXPERIENCED HAND AND MINDS.
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Loaded. The more F-in around with a gun you do the more of a chance of it making a loud noise when you don't want it to.

When I get back to my truck, I grab it, holster it and go on with life. There is no insert the mag, rack the slide, eject mag, top it off, reinstert mag. I do that BS after I clean it.
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1
    -plb
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Very good advise.

It really depends on what sort of 'place' it is that I can't carry the gun. If it's a short term thing, like going into the post office, I'll leave the gun loaded. However, if I'm going into a state where I can't carry, or a national park, I unload the gun and store the ammo seperately.

I pull the magazine and take that with me. If I had to go into a courthouse I would hide the mag. somewhere else in the vehicle and keepy my visit short. Not much else I could do.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Freekshow is right. The more you play with it the greater the chances of an AD. Hole in your dash or floor if you are lucky. Load it up and leave it. Reloading after using up your magazine doesn't count.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I leave mine loaded. I usually don't take the gun off when I'm out, unless I'm going somewhere that is illegal for me to carry, such as the post office. In December, when I was out of work, I had an interview at the Clark County Detention Center (it would have been for a contract company providing medical care of inmates). I also left it in the car that day but found myself patting myself down just before going through the metal detector. There and airport are 2 places in particular that I don't want to make a mistake.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Caution: Double check state laws! In MA, any gun left secured in a vehicle MUST be unloaded. You can leave the mags loaded, but the gun itself must be unloaded and locked up (not in a glove compartment either).
    NRA Instructor

Florida...

There are very few places where I can't have my weapon...for those 'rare' ocassions, I have a Center of Mass safe tucked away in a hard to find place...and the gun is still loaded! When I return, it's out in a flash. If I were going to a place where the gun had to stay in the car for a long period of time...either I don't go to that place or the gun would stay at home!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Loaded, cocked and locked.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links