Non Resident Permits

Non Resident Permits

This is a discussion on Non Resident Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading one of Massad Ayoob's concealed carry books and in one of the chapters he made the comment to apply for and get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Non Resident Permits

Non Resident Permits

I was reading one of Massad Ayoob's concealed carry books and in one of the chapters he made the comment to apply for and get as many permits as you can. Now obviously he does a lot of traveling and being from New Hampshire. It looks like there are not a lot of states that honor a NH permit. Now being that I'm from Michigan and there is only a hand full of states that don't honor my permit what would the reason be for me to get permits from other shall issue states?
    Thoughts??

Good question.
    Personally, I would only be interested in the states I know I might travel through or go to.
    But since one of those states is NY for me, I'm pretty much out of luck.

Consider getting nonresident permits from states that will give you carry rights in states that your Michigan permit does not. That is the main reason for getting additional permits. For example, I have a brother that lives in Texas. Texas does not recognize my Ohio permit, but does recognize my PA non-resident permit. It allowed me to legally carry in Texas when I went down there a couple of years ago to visit him.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I travel to Washington State frequently. They don't recognize my Oregon permit, but do recognize my Utah permit.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    I was reading one of Massad Ayoob's concealed carry books and in one of the chapters he made the comment to apply for and get as many permits as you can. Now obviously he does a lot of traveling and being from New Hampshire. It looks like there are not a lot of states that honor a NH permit. Now being that I'm from Michigan and there is only a hand full of states that don't honor my permit what would the reason be for me to get permits from other shall issue states?
    Thoughts??
    I believe if you have a non-resident permit from another state (Florida seems pretty popular), you can keep it if you move to another state and still be able to carry if they have reciprocity w/respect to your non-res permit. If you only have a resident permit from your former state, it is no longer valid and you'll need to go through the permit process again in your new state...
    Czombie likes this.

I am going to get a enhanced Idaho permit that will complete what I want being I do not go into Ca., NY or Il. The permits you need for out of the country I will not discuss.

Distinguished Member
    I have Wisconsin and Utah permits. Between the two I'm pretty well covered in my travels. I'd like to have an Illinois permit, but I so hate that waste of space state I can't bring myself to give them anything more that the toll money they charge me to drive on I-90 on my way to St. Louis and points south. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

Entering the 1000 foot School Gun Free Zone.

One must have a permit issued from the State in which the GFZ is located. For example if your Carry permit is recognized in MN, you can legally carry, but you still cannot legally carry within 1000 ft of a school, without a permit issued by the State of MN. Recognized out of State permits do not qualify.
    Czombie and sdprof like this.

Pro
    IANAL, but believe having a Non-resident permit in a state you frequently carry in also allows you within 1,000 ft. of a school. As I understand the federal law, you can only do so if you have a carry permit in THAT state. Not that all LEO's or states would hang you for that, all it takes is once.

edit: Looks like Steve4102 just beat me
    sdprof and Czombie like this.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by SWOhio View Post
    I believe if you have a non-resident permit from another state (Florida seems pretty popular), you can keep it if you move to another state and still be able to carry if they have reciprocity w/respect to your non-res permit. If you only have a resident permit from your former state, it is no longer valid and you'll need to go through the permit process again in your new state...
    That depends on the state you moved from. Ohio has made recent changes to this, that go into effect next March.

As to the OP's question, unless I was going to start travelling a lot to a state that doesn't recognize my permit, I honestly don't see much value in getting a non-res permit.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks guys guess I won't worry these are the states to don't accept my Michigan permit and I never go there

California, Connecticut, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If Massad wishes to pay for all my possible non-resident permits so I can display them on my CC sash like merit badges, I'm all for it. Otherwise...I gotta take a pass.
    Czombie, PAcanis and rubberfrog like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    IANAL, but believe having a Non-resident permit in a state you frequently carry in also allows you within 1,000 ft. of a school. As I understand the federal law, you can only do so if you have a carry permit in THAT state. Not that all LEO's or states would hang you for that, all it takes is once.

edit: Looks like Steve4102 just beat me
    If an out-of-state permit is honored, then it has all the privilages of that state's permits.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If an out-of-state permit is honored, then it has all the privilages of that state's permits.
    Not with regards to the FEDERAL Gun Free School Zone Act. That one only exempts permits issued by the state in which the school is located, as noted by two posters above.
    Czombie likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As already pointed out above, Issued and Honored are not the same thing according to this law and many others.

The Federal 1000 foot rule clearly states, Issued by the State in which the school zone resides, this in no way should be confused with "Honored".
    Czombie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links