Forgetting wallet while carrying..

This is a discussion on Forgetting wallet while carrying.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody ever forget their wallet while carrying? Do you just make sure you drive super slow that day or what? Makes me real nervous lol! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forgetting wallet while carrying..

Forgetting wallet while carrying..

Anybody ever forget their wallet while carrying?

Do you just make sure you drive super slow that day or what?

Makes me real nervous lol! What would happen if you got pulled over, didnt have your wallet (so no CHL with you), and you were carrying?

2. Remove Ads

If your permit was issued by the state where you get pulled over, the cop can probably find out that you have one without too much trouble (out of state permits may be more difficult). However, many state laws require you to have your permit on you anytime you're carrying a weapon. If the officer can establish you've got a CCW permit, I'd hope he'd let you off with a warning, but citation, confiscation, and arrest are certainly possible.

Administrator
    In PA it's real important that you always have your LTC with you when you are carrying.

I would say that if you do happen to forget your wallet and you are carrying...drive normally & safely (as you always should anyway) and try never to forget your permit and/or your wallet.

Driving too slow will call almost as much attention to your vehicle as speeding to a trained LEO...just FYI.

I think that Tx has a requirement that you have the CHL with you when you carry. So If I forgot my wallet I'd <slowly> go back and get it. It's not worth the risk of losing it or having to jump through some hoops. JMO.

VIP Member
    In order for me to forget my wallet, I have to forget my entire purse.

I don't know about other states, but in TN, our carry permit's ID number is the same as our driver's license number. I memorized my DL #, so I also know my permit #. I believe the cops, when they look up my plates upon pulling me over, end up knowing I've got a permit, anyway. I suppose I'd get warned or cited if I don't have my DL and HCP on me.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Here in Maine, you MUST have the permit on your person to carry. Simple logic tells you that if you don't have the permit on you, you are not permitted to carry at that time.

Go home and get it. While it should be similar to forgetting your drivers license, IT WILL NOT BE TREATED THAT WAY. It's too politicized an issue. With the right prosecuter in the right jursidiction, you could probably do time for that simple mistake.

My 2 cents.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    here in KY its my understanding that if u dont have your license on you, you get a 25 fine..... could be wrong if so someone please correct me... but just like my weapon i feel naked without my cell phone and wallet so...

me
    A thought that has popped into my mind on this before was to get a duplicate copy of my permit to leave with my registration. Has anyone else thought about doing that? I have yet to do so but i have thought about it because as a Volunteer (respond on call) firefighter If i take my wallet out of my pocket sitting at home and forget to put it back in for a call while I still have my gun on I am in trouble.

Now that being said I have an LEO friend (from my area) who is in the FD with me who knows I have my LCF and the cops in my area would not have a problem following me home so I could get it to show to them since I am FD.

But I dont want to chance it with an over zealous cop.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    here in KY its my understanding that if u dont have your license on you, you get a 25 fine..... could be wrong if so someone please correct me... but just like my weapon i feel naked without my cell phone and wallet so...
    You are correct. In ky its a slap on the wrist. A $25.00 fine..
    Ive never forgot my billfold, EVER. Ive had the same one for over 30 years. It is a part of me. My CCW permit is always in it....

I often carry without my wallet ... carry the original permit, a previous outdated but accurate DL, library card and picture gym card...this is always with the weapon....rubber banded together with a few bills under the band.

I've made a life-sized copy of the permit, marked it 'copy' with a highlighter and laminated it ... that's what stays in my wallet.

No screw ups ever.

Assistant Administrator
    Just once in last 6 years I have forgotten wallet - in fact in a gut-wrenching moment I thought it was lost. Four years ago IIRC.

I was part ways into town and felt to rear left pocket to check - it was not there. I went straight back home with a feeling great concern - knowing there were probably only two places it might be.

Fortunately it was as hoped, on floor in bedroom having fallen out of pants and just under bed!!! Oh relief! Taught me that day and since - before leaving even the house, pat wallet pocket, feel gun with right elbow and check keys. Has to be a habit.

I believe many jurisdictions do not allow a CHL copy - just original.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've done it several times. Old age I guess I'm not sure how strict the local police would be if I had to show my permit and didn't have it with me???

In most states - though not all - the lack of a permit on your person is a civil penalty for the first offense. Not good, gonna cost you some money and MAY cost you your license if you're in a bad jurisdiction, but not a huge deal.

Now, being even a little drunk while carrying? That's serious.

I had just an experience where I thought I had left my wallet and Licence at home with carrying. Since in PA open carry is ok. I just tucked my cover garment behind the holster. Although since it was winter I did have a coat on outside I did conceal it from the building I was in to the car. There I just disarmed and went on with the day till I got home and realized I did have my wallet it was just tucked in an odd pocket.

I almost forgot my permit once. I carry it in my front weak side pocket in a separate leather ID holder with two windows. My drivers license is on one side and my permit on the other. This makes it easy to retrieve if needed.

I always do a second "safety" check before I leave the house. On one such occassion, my ID holder wasn't there. Went back up stairs, put it in my pocket and went on.

In VA it is a requirement to carry the permit with photo ID when you are packing. I don't know what the LEO's in NoVa would do since it is generally a very anti gun area of Virginia. I'd rather not have to test it.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links