10 Round mag limit, which states have this law?

This is a discussion on 10 Round mag limit, which states have this law? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any idea which states have this law? I was sent a 10 round magazine by accident and was going to return it for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Round mag limit, which states have this law?

Anyone have any idea which states have this law?

I was sent a 10 round magazine by accident and was going to return it for the right item, a normal cap magazine. But, then I started to think... I already have 9 normal capacity mags for my pistol, maybe it would be prudent to keep a 10 rounder on hand if I travel to a state that has a 10 round mag capacity limit. What states have these limits in place? Does anyone know?

Not that easy

Some of the magazine bans are city based. For example, Denver has a ban on mags over 21 rounds.

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC MD and CA - these are two that come immediately to mind. Then yeah, city ordinances I guess which could be anywhere maybe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Massachusetts, if you only have an LTC-B. If you have an LTC-A (concealed carry) you aren't subject to the limit if I recall correctly.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Go to Handgunlaw.us and click on
    All US CCW Links in the left column and then click on State Restrictions on Magazines, Chemical Sprays and Stun Guns under the United States Listing. It gives all the states with Mag restrictions and the number and the law that covers the restrictions.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Go to Handgunlaw.us and click on
    All US CCW Links in the left column and then click on State Restrictions on Magazines, Chemical Sprays and Stun Guns under the United States Listing. It gives all the states with Mag restrictions and the number and the law that covers the restrictions.
    Perfect. I think that sites navigation isn't as friendly as it could be. I searched on there but short of going through each state's statue individually, I couldn't find a page directly relating to mag capacity bans.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Massachusetts, if you only have an LTC-B. If you have an LTC-A (concealed carry) you aren't subject to the limit if I recall correctly.
    Not quite right.

Post 9/13/94 hi-caps are banned for anyone except LE.

Pre-ban (9/13/94) hi-cap mags are legal to possess with LTC (LTC-A for pistol/rifle/shotgun hi-caps, LTC-B for rifle/shotgun hi-caps).

You need a LTC to possess any guns/ammo/mags in MA, even if you are a NR. Don't suggest that you ever visit here!
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    IIRC MD and CA - these are two that come immediately to mind. Then yeah, city ordinances I guess which could be anywhere maybe.
    The funny thing about MD is, you can buy a 15-round magazine WITH the gun, but not separately.

A friend just bought a glock, and it came with three high caps, but when he asked about buying more, they said state law only allowed them to sell ten rounders.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Not quite right.

Post 9/13/94 hi-caps are banned for anyone except LE.

Pre-ban (9/13/94) hi-cap mags are legal to possess with LTC (LTC-A for pistol/rifle/shotgun hi-caps, LTC-B for rifle/shotgun hi-caps).

You need a LTC to possess any guns/ammo/mags in MA, even if you are a NR. Don't suggest that you ever visit here!
    Thank you for the correction. I loathe the fact that most of my family still lives up there (Lawrence/Methuen area), and I am more than happy to have newfound freedoms down here in Virginia. However, I must say, that central VA doesn't quite offer the burgeoning job market of NA/southern NH. Still, I'd rather live modestly and be happy than live in excess and be miserable. Oddly enough, my stepfather has an LTC-A for all legal purposes.. but doesn't own a pistol.

Why is everybody so paranoid about 10 round mags? I'm a police officer and I use 'em! IMO, they just feed better than the 15 rounders!

Of course, if you have to shoot a BG, he won't be near as dead with 10 rounds as he would if you shoot him with 15 rounds, huh?

The late Colonel Jeff Cooper (God rest his soul) said it best..."If you as a civilian need more than 6 or 7 rounds to stop an attack...you've probably already lost that gunfight."

...just something to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Why is everybody so paranoid about 10 round mags? I'm a police officer and I use 'em! IMO, they just feed better than the 15 rounders!

Of course, if you have to shoot a BG, he won't be near as dead with 10 rounds as he would if you shoot him with 15 rounds, huh?

The late Colonel Jeff Cooper (God rest his soul) said it best..."If you as a civilian need more than 6 or 7 rounds to stop an attack...you've probably already lost that gunfight."

...just something to think about...
    Do you only fill up your gas tank to 1/2? How about when you go grocery shopping, do you buy enough for the week, or only for 2 days? When you pack a bag for a trip, do you bring enough underwear? All it comes down to is, people would rather have it and not need it. As far as Col. Cooper's quote goes, I can certainly agree... with a single BG. If you're attacked by 3 people at once, I certainly would prefer to have more than 10 rounds available to me.

I guess it just boils down to the ol' boy scout motto!

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Do you only fill up your gas tank to 1/2? How about when you go grocery shopping, do you buy enough for the week, or only for 2 days? When you pack a bag for a trip, do you bring enough underwear? All it comes down to is, people would rather have it and not need it. As far as Col. Cooper's quote goes, I can certainly agree... with a single BG. If you're attacked by 3 people at once, I certainly would prefer to have more than 10 rounds available to me.

I guess it just boils down to the ol' boy scout motto!
    Trust me...I was a Boy Scout, and I am always "Prepared"

A shootout is definately a "come as you are" event! However, I do feel comfortable with my 10 rounders if I ever get involved in that situation. What about all of the 1911 guys on here? Are they paranoid? Back during the "Assault Ban" they were all laughing their asses off at the guys (you know who you are )paying $100+ for hi-cap magazines when they could still buy theirs at a 7-11 for 15 - 20 bucks!

The 15 round magazine capacity was not the primary reason I chose the Glock. The thing that sold me on the Glock is the durability! I am a sweater. Anytime I handle a blued gun, it turns to rust in my hands! Not so with the Glocks! I bought my Glocks for that and the weight issue - 10 round mags don't bother me at all.

"You can't miss fast enough in a gunfight!" -Paul Abel

1911 with 8+1 and two ten rounders for reloads...unfortunately, this gun is not CA legal, despite its relatively small capacity, because it is not a "CA model"

If you can place shots you should not need more then ten shot clip. If you spray the area and don't aim get yourself a drum clip.

Legal in all states

My six round magazine is legal in all states.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links