De-lint your gun...ready for summer! -PSA-

This is a discussion on De-lint your gun...ready for summer! -PSA- within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have answered many threads on how often do you clean your EDC. Ive always said when the lint is bad enough to cause an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: De-lint your gun...ready for summer! -PSA-

I have answered many threads on how often do you clean your EDC. Ive always said when the lint is bad enough to cause an infection in the BG, its time to clean. It was a joke of course for the most part because I don't clean my EDC but once every 6-8 weeks unless I shoot. This last cleaning though it was a mess with all the lint. I had to laugh it was so thick on and in the Glock. I wear a lot of wool sweaters in the winter and this year I am sure I could have knitted a sweater with all the fibers that came out of the gun. I love winter, but I am ready for summer. I hate lint!
    If you haven't looked at your firearm in a few weeks or months, it might be time to de-lint your gun.
    Look in the trigger area, It was thick! At first I thought cat had hacked up a hair ball.

VIP Member
    You carry your gun everyday, yet only clean it every 6-8 weeks. Got it.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

Wow few weeks or months whats up with that. I go to the range twice a week but
    I am retired now. Even before I went once a month and wiped down at least once a week. Maybe I am ocd

Wish I had your time. Once summer comes around Ill get the range weekly again, but winter time is a busy time of year for me. Its a little cold to shoot at the range on most days.

VIP Member
    I do not carry my weapon everyday because I live and work on a military installation. I thoroughly clean my weapons once a month, and after I do carry I do a wipe down before I go to bed. Also a thorough cleaning after I shoot. I hate lint too!
    Lbox88 likes this.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

I treat all my guns like the next time I touch them I'll need them. But I do hate me some lint! I have a buddy who will clean his gun every other range visit. I don't know how he sleeps at night haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You carry your gun everyday, yet only clean it every 6-8 weeks. Got it.
    Yep, unless its being shot, its not getting a tear down and clean. Been doing it that way for many years with no issues. This last cleaning was the first time I had the issue with all the lint. Besides, its a Gen 2 Glock, very little oil so it doesn't attract much dirt and I work in an office environment. If Im not shooting it, not much getting to it to make it dirty.

How often are you cleaning? Is it a full tear down or wipe down the outside?
    SCXDm9 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    Yep, unless its being shot, its not getting a tear down and clean. Been doing it that way for many years with no issues. This last cleaning was the first time I had the issue with all the lint. Besides, its a Gen 2 Glock, very little oil so it doesn't attract much dirt and I work in an office environment. If Im not shooting it, not much getting to it to make it dirty.

How often are you cleaning? Is it a full tear down or wipe down the outside?
    My holster and gun get a wipe-down every two or three days, press-checked before leaving the house every day.
    hick63, Recon1342 and Aceoky like this.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My holster and gun get a wipe-down every two or three days, press-checked before leaving the house every day.
    I do a daily press check before I leave the bedroom, but I have never wiped down the holster. Its a horse hide Crossbreed and has never needed it. I had it for 9 years, although its showing its age. How often do you pull the slide and give a complete cleaning? Assuming you have a semi-auto....
    SCXDm9 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I do a complete clean after every range visit, or more often if i notice any lint. I'm with Mike, if there is even a chance it might be needed, I don't want any chance of anything to cause a problem.
    Zechariah 10:5 They shall be like mighty men in battle, trampling the foe in the mud of the streets; they shall fight because the LORD is with them, and they shall put to shame those that seek evil.

NRA Lifetime Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member
    There is no lint in my handguns.
    rdunawaytx and PhaedrusIV like this.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I do a complete clean after every range visit, or more often if i notice any lint. I'm with Mike, if there is even a chance it might be needed, I don't want any chance of anything to cause a problem.
    I grew up with firearms and spent time in the Army and have seen some very dirty (nasty) firearms that operated just fine. I've always been of the mind that the more I take it apart, the more chances there are of there being a mechanical failure. I didn't replace the springs in the gun until I had over 19k rounds through it. One of the guys I shot with made me feel guilty so I replaced them but there was very little sign of wear. After the range, full cleaning, but if I'm not shooting, I'm not looking very hard. It sits in the holster.
    SpencerB, deadguy, SCXDm9 and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    You mean the lint isn't supposed to be in there?
    ks kid, SCXDm9, CKtCATM and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You mean the lint isn't supposed to be in there?
    I know, Right.
    I thought it was like the belly button! Its a lint storage unit in case I need to build a fire I have something dry to light.

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Just makes the fireball more impressive!
    "Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links