Flying to Maine

Flying to Maine

This is a discussion on Flying to Maine within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I'm a Colorado resident with a Colorado CWP, and I carry a pocket pistol every day, and have a hobby of taking various tactical ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By dsvo
  • 2 Post By Estil
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 3 Post By GunnyBunny
  • 1 Post By dsvo
  • 1 Post By WC145
  • 1 Post By 357MagMan
  • 1 Post By hdhnict
  • 1 Post By mudshark100

Thread: Flying to Maine

Flying to Maine

Hello. I'm a Colorado resident with a Colorado CWP, and I carry a pocket pistol every day, and have a hobby of taking
    various tactical pistol classes offered. I shoot at least once a week.

In the end of May, I'll be honeymooning for a week in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. I'm about to apply for a Maine
    non-resident CCW, and cross my fingers it will come through in time.

My plan, assuming the Maine CCW comes through, is to check my pistol as luggage, following the TSA rules. But airlines don't
    like ammo, in my experience, so I won't be bringing any ammo.

We'll probably be flying into Bangor and I'll rent a car, and find a gun shop were I can buy a box of defensive ammo. Okay, fine.
    But when we fly out, I need to dispose of a box of defensive 380s, presumably unused. Any suggestions? Comments?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Stop at a LGS or pawn shop, explain why you need to get rid of the ammo and give it away (in box it came in). I think someone will probably take it off your hands. All you would be out is cost of ammo. just a suggestion......
    hdhnict and gatorbait51 like this.
    If it don't seem like it's worth the effort, then it probably ain't.

Hmmm... I never had a problem moving ammo on airlines, as long as it was in OEM or comparable boxes and didn't exceed their weight limit. I'd chance bringing your own .380 fodder along.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    gatorbait51 and techieccw like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I've flown with ammo. Check the airline's website to see whether they want it in a separate locked container. I flew Southwest, and at the time, they permitted ammo to be locked in the same container as the gun, as long as it was in a manufacturer's box.
    druryj and gatorbait51 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hmmm... I never had a problem moving ammo on airlines, as long as it was in OEM or comparable boxes and didn't exceed their weight limit. I'd chance bringing your own .380 fodder along.

Yep to both points!

I fly across the border with both firearms and ammunition and have never had an issue with either the airlines or customs.

A couple of tips. Print out both the TSA regulations and your airlines regulations (they vary by airline) just in case you run into someone that doesn't know how it works. Also, secure your ammo box with a rubber band.

Hope this helps.
    gatorbait51, gasmitty and ccman like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Thank you all for the welcome, and for the great advice. I'll try checking ammo, following the airline rules. We don't have
    airline ticks yet, so I don't know what carrier it will be.

I haven't carried a firearm on an airline since before 9/11, and I remember the difficulty about ammo back then, and
    assumed it wouldn't be MORE permissive. Will wonders never cease?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Every time I've flown with my handgun I just locked a box of ammo in the lockbox with the gun, never a problem. However, if you really want to leave it, I'll take it for you.
    If you choose to wait and buy ammo when you get here let me know and I'll point you to the closest pace to the airport to find some.

Maine is moving pretty fast on resident permits right now, my wife got hers through the state police last month and it took exactly 3 weeks. I assume it's the same for non-resident.

And, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Where are you going to be visiting while you're here?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by dsvo View Post
    Thank you all for the welcome, and for the great advice. I'll try checking ammo, following the airline rules. We don't have
    airline ticks yet, so I don't know what carrier it will be.

I haven't carried a firearm on an airline since before 9/11, and I remember the difficulty about ammo back then, and
    assumed it wouldn't be MORE permissive. Will wonders never cease?
    welcome to_maine.jpg

While you are here do yourself a favor and,

GO HERE for some Fun,(plus you may want to contact them as they may be able to give you some answers regarding your concerns),,>> https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/home.asp ,,,

>> The Range >> https://www.mainemilitary.com/produc....asp?idpage=10
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    _____Peace ! ________
    "A home divided will fall."
    ~ Jesus, Mk. 3:25 ~

Ruger SP101 357 Mag
    N82 Tactical IWB

Carry Safe & Smart

Different airlines have different regulations/requirements regarding ammo. Others do t allow it at all.
    If practical, chose an airline that allows. (Assuming it doesn't cost double.)

Fallback plan:
    See if you can get in contact with a Maine gun store BEFOREHAND and arrange details.
    Such as buying ammo, then selling the unused box back to them (minus a small "rental fee").

Before the overnight delivery companies started denying people this option, you could have shipped it all straight to your hotel. Some people I know still do that with knives.

Apparently, UPS still allows such shipments!

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html
    Last edited by hdhnict; January 17th, 2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: UPS link
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There is no possession limit on Opinions. Take as many as you want!

Ask the folks at the gun shop where you are purchasing the ammo, what should you do with it when you leave & whether if they can take it back (with no refund whatsoever expected)?? Hopefully, you get a good advise from them.
    Also, check with the airlines you fly, what are their rules for shipping ammo/firearms.

All the best.

Watch yourself if you have a connecting flight in New York or New Jersey. I have read more than one account of someone having a connecting flight cancelled and forced to stay overnight. When the flyer tried to recheck their luggage (and declare their weapon) they were arrested for possession of a handgun without a permit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links