Question for Tennessee Folks

This is a discussion on Question for Tennessee Folks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a while back on the nightmare I was having in completing the CCW process in Tennessee. I finally jumped thru the last hoop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Tennessee Folks

I posted a while back on the nightmare I was having in completing the CCW process in Tennessee. I finally jumped thru the last hoop a week or so ago.
    So, my question is: Has anyone applied here recently? And if so, how long did you have to wait for the permit to actually arrive, once your prints were done? Thanks!

i don't know the details but i inquired about it for i lived there for 5 years. the classes you have to attend to (when they're available) the finger prints and background checks. as i talked to a rep, i just waited until i moved back to PA to show up, wait 10 days, then was good to go. basically i was looking at a good month maybe 6 to even 8 weeks in TN, so i figured i would just wait.
    What's this button do?

i did my renewal, and my buddy is doing the actual permit class, they told me about a month for renewal and told him 90 days , he got it in alittle over a month... slightly shorter than my first wait
    it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

My wife and I got our permits about 10 months ago. After the prints were taken we waited about 3 weeks before the permits arrived in the mail. Both of them arrived at the house on the same day oddly enough because she took her class and was printed a week earlier than me.

I remember the thread you posted about all the hassles you have had to put up with Garry and I must say, I feel for you. Tennessee in a lot of ways is a great state but in this one situation they are woefully inept and inefficient. Alabama was by far more streamlined and efficient in their handling of the CCW permit administration.

Please let us know when you finally get your carry permit.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Gary,

I waited about 6 wks after getting prints done for mine....

Bit of a hassle, like standing in line at DOT the whole time..... (twiddles thumbs, taps feet, shifts repeatedly in seat, sighs, huffs and puffs all at the same time, LOL....)

Glad that's over, to say the least....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

30 days is what I'm hearing.
    Last edited by INTJ; February 9th, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

My wife did her prints in December, it took two or three weeks before her permit arrived.
    I did mine a while back, took about 3 weeks too.
    Obviously YMMV.

Thanks, guys! I appreciate everyone taking the time to post.

Gary,

I'm the guy who took the course with you and who's waiting on my MaxConV from CCA ( hint, hint - lol).

I went to the DMV the Tuesday after our class and was fingerprinted the next day.

I'm still waiting. In fact, I just got off the phone with the Dept. of Safety and they said that the only thing they are waiting on is the results of the fingerprint check. Strangely, I know that other folks that applied after me have already received theirs.

Bummer. So I'm at about 52 days and counting.

Congratulations Gary, no one can say you didn't work for it. Best I can remember I waited three to four weeks for mine but it's been a bit over a year ago.
    Jack

Gary,

My permit was issued yesterday and should be here in about 10 business days. I did my prints on Dec 16.

FOLLOW UP ON YOUR PRINTS! I had been wondering why getting my permit was taking so long. After multiple calls to TN Dept of Safety (TDS) they finally discovered that the holdup was due to the TN Bureau of Investigation not receiving my prints. Of course nobody followed up to try to fix the issue or see where they were. It took me over a week of hounding TDS, Cogent and the UPS store where I was printed (who were the only ones that were interested in trying to fix the issue) to get things sorted out. Ultimately, either the supervisor at TDS or the store manager at UPS got Cogent to re-submit the electronic prints to TBI and the permit was issued the next day.

I'm CERTAIN that if I had not been hounding them I would have waited indefinitely. Be sure you start checking up on TDS if you don'r receive your permit in 30 days.

3-4 weeks if I remember right

Did I read the other thread correctly, that you *have* to get your prints done at a private company now??? When I got my permit I just went to the Sheriff's Dept and got a set of prints done there.

I guess someone figured a way to get another set of fingers (no pun intended) in the pie.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Applied - Jan 2, 2007

Fingerprints - Jan 3

Permit in my mailbox - Feb 3

Quote Originally Posted by Only Glock View Post
    Did I read the other thread correctly, that you *have* to get your prints done at a private company now??? When I got my permit I just went to the Sheriff's Dept and got a set of prints done there.

I guess someone figured a way to get another set of fingers (no pun intended) in the pie.
    Depends where you are.

AFAIK if you are urban (Nash Vegas, Memphis, Knoxville and Chattanooga) it is tended out to a company who submits to the TBI, if rural then you most likely go to the local Sheriff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links