Foreign Trade Zones

Foreign Trade Zones

This is a discussion on Foreign Trade Zones within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you can see in my profile, I am a truck driver by trade. I will leave the specifics out here to protect my privacy ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 2ndAmendNut
  • 3 Post By Aceoky
  • 2 Post By Aceoky
  • 1 Post By denclaste

Thread: Foreign Trade Zones

Foreign Trade Zones

As you can see in my profile, I am a truck driver by trade. I will leave the specifics out here to protect my privacy but I have a question. I drive 600+ miles a day, to and from an automotive plant. My carry permit is valid in both my home state and the state which I visit every day. Company policy is the typical "no guns" stance but that isn't my concern.

From what I understand, automotive plants are considered "foreign trade zones". What are the legalities of carrying on a foreign trade zone?

John

“Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact!” ~ Me
    Aceoky likes this.

Foreign trade zones are for Tax purposes as I understand it, they're not " Non US soil" - as the Ky Toyota plant seemed to have to learn the hard way ( I think that is the question??)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

In the United States, FTZs provide Customs-related advantages as well as exemptions from state and local inventory taxes.

Free trade zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AFAIK - the plant falls under the state laws of whatever state it's located within
    2ndAmendNut and sdprof like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    Aceoky is correct. The only non US areas I've been able to find are Tribal Trust Lands(Indian reservations) and foreign embassy properties.Tribal lands are governed by the tribes and they set their own laws regarding possession/carry. Embassy properties can be a little stickier, but are usually considered part of the country whose embassy occupies it. These are covered under international conventions/treaties.
    Aceoky likes this.

We're told the auto plants we deliver to are FTZs. Not sure that's true now.

John

“Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact!” ~ Me

Distinguished Member Array Kutz's Avatar
    Didn't know that.
    A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.
    USMC Gunny, NRA Life Member, VFW

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links