KS AG Reporting SC will Honor Their Permit

This is a discussion on KS AG Reporting SC will Honor Their Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kansas Attorney General is reporting that South Carolina will honor a Kansas Permit. SC is not reporting this. The SC SLED Site format was changed ...

Thread: KS AG Reporting SC will Honor Their Permit

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Kansas Attorney General is reporting that South Carolina will honor a Kansas Permit. SC is not reporting this. The SC SLED Site format was changed and they posted the previous list of states they honored. Missouri is missing from their list of states now. I have emailed and called them and they have still not updated the listing. Others might think about contacting them at (803) 896-7013 asking them to update their site.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

VIP Member
    I really dislike SC just for their policy on this issue. They won't recognize my state's permit, nor will they honor a non-res permit. And, I have to visit there at least a few times a year. It is a pain talking people into meeting me in GA instead.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Thanks, Gary.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

SC SLED Reciprocity

This is on the SLED site:

http://www.sled.state.sc.us/sled/def...ce=Reciprocity

I think it is the "latest and greatest" update - it is dated Dec. 2006.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Old SLED Page

If you go to the State of SC Home page and then go to the SLED and then click Concealed Weapon Permit and then to Reciprocity you get this PAGE!! . This is their official page now. The page that lists Missouri is the Old Reciprocity page that I had to keep contacting them about before they finally listed Missouri as a state they would honor.

Check out their site. Go to the SC home page and then dig down and you will find the new page. I don't know why they didn't remove the old one.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

SC SLED has been rather bad about updating their page. They have yet to place the No duty to retreat nor the Castle doctrine bill passage on there either. You would think it would be important. I get the feeling they feel that they are just saddled with a burden that the legislator placed on them to do this whole program. Do not seem to have thier hearts in it nor seem to place much priority on it. Bah!

Some good news I think here...

What other info can you give me about KS. Where did you get the info?[/i]

So I will have him check on this Kansas thing. But the most interesting thing is Kentucky and Florida. So there is some progress if this turns out to be the case.

I had a class this past weekend and always call SLED to see about
    any changes. I was told that no changes since our instructors meeting in
    early Nov where we were told about MO being added to recip states. And that
    KY and then FL would be the next ones and soon. Have never heard about KS.
    What other info can you give me about KS. Where did you get the info?

Reporting back with some bad news. It appears that Kansas list is wrong.... SC does not recognize Kansas as of this point. SC says that they have no such agreement with Kansas. Kansas does recognize ours but not visa versa. Seems no agreement has been signed. Varies from state to state how the law allows that to happen.

Straight from SLED.
    Last edited by cphilip; February 13th, 2007 at 05:04 PM.

I sent the following to my state representatives to see if we can get SLED moving on keeping their website updated.

As a SC Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP) holder, I find it discouraging that the SLED website does not contain the latest information regarding state laws related to CWP issues. Since SLED is the authority for all matters related to CWP, I think it would be mandatory for the agency to ensure that the information it relays to the public is accurate and up to date. As of this email (sent 2/13/2007), information regarding reciprocity with other states on the SLED website is dated 3/14/2005.

This almost 2 year lag in getting updated information posted to the SLED website is unacceptable. In addition to the outdated reciprocity information, no mention of the recent "castle doctrine" law passage is found on the SLED website. For a large portion of the concealed carry population, SLED's website is the first place a visitor to South Carolina will seek information regarding this state's concealed carry laws, and having such outdated information does not do justice to the efforts put for by the SC Legislature to ensure that citizens have a lawful right to protect themselves when visiting our state.

As your consituent, I am requesting that you contact the necessary representatives in SLED and impress upon them the importance of maintaining accurate information regarding CWP laws on their website.

Very good. It is indeed a problem.

They did update at least one portion of it because it shows North Carolina. Which occured after that 05 date. So... beats me why they did not redate it. And also seems to me its well past time to see the newer laws on there. As it reads now, there is a duty to retreat. Which we know the newer law replaces.... and should easily be active now.

However this Kansas issue appears a problem on the Kansas end. I can only make some guesses as to the problem. I believe, if I am not mistaken, Kansas has a new AG. And its possible that its staff mistakenly assumed that if they accepted SC's then we would accept theirs. However, SC's law requires a signed agreement. And SLED says they have no such agreement. I know that at least a few states laws just say "if you take mine I will take yours". However SC's law authorizes SLED to "Make agreements" with states with like laws. So SC wants a back and forth communication and some formal agreement before it will. Perhaps some states just don't realize this is the case?

Now... I have heard that in the past when there letters offering to enter into negotiation have been sent out, they often went ignored by the recipient state. Either because the recipient did not recognize the significance of it or did not know what to do with it. And so they just never replied. And SLED would then just let it lie until they got around to pursuing it later on an individual basis or until that state got back in touch with them on the matter on thier own. I don't know if this is the case or nor for certain. I just heard this rumor a couple times.

Handgunlaw.us has removed information on our site stating SC Honors a KS permit. New information has come forward and we were premature in our listing of SC honoring KS. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Just a quick update...

I got the following from my state senator's office regarding the SLED website's information:

Thank you for your letter. I spoke with Major Carlotta Stackhouse with
    SLED's Information Services. She will review the website and make
    corrections as well as let the Senator know when it has been done.

I will then be in touch with you to make sure the CWP and "castle
    doctrine" law information is up to date according to your
    understanding.

Please let the Senator know if you have concerns in the future and
    again, thank you for calling this to the Senator's attention.
    Hopefully the site will be updated in a few days with the correct information.

I decided to check SLED's website after posting the senator's response. Looks like they're already on task. The reciprocity list is dated 22 FEB 2007, and includes Kansas.

Hope this helps.

Kanslas's problem is the AG, Paul Morrison who left the Republican party to run as a Democrat against a fellow Republican. He will do anything to throw a wrench in the works. Steve48

Sponsored Links