I had a discharge in the house.......

This is a discussion on I had a discharge in the house....... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well it happened.. and im ashamed of it. I broke my own first rule. I always preach to everyone to never trust another and always ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: I had a discharge in the house.......

Well it happened.. and im ashamed of it. I broke my own first rule. I always preach to everyone to never trust another and always check and clear any firearm before you proceed. Even if you watch them clear it, check it yourself. It just trains you through repetition.

I broke my own rule. My glock was on the counter chambered with the mag in. My friend came over and wanted to look at it. I dropped the mag and cleared the chamber before handing it to him. He looked it over then gave it back. I put the mag back in, rechambered it and put it back in the holster. A few minutes later I picked it back up to put it in the safe, dropped the mag and pointed it in a safe direction before pulling the trigger. BANG!!!!!!

I have grown up with guns and owned multiple for 30 years now. Ive never had an accident. I dont know why i had a momentary lapse but i forgot to clear the chamber. Nothing was hurt but my pride and a bit of sheetrock. But ive got to say it upset me really bad. Not because it scared me but because I was upset at myself for letting it happen. I preach safety religiously.

I told my dad and once he asked if everyone was ok he laughed and said welcome to the club. His happened when he was in his 30s. He told me if your around them long enough it will happen to everyone. Just learn from it and let that be your one mistake. Firearms rarely allow a second.

How many others have ever had it happen? Care to share any stories.

Complacency can really sneak up on you. I am glad no one was hurt...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Very sorry to hear that happened and thank God that no one was hurt. It takes a man to admit his mistake, one I'm sure you won't make again. A reminder that we have to follow the rules every single time. Good to hear that you are okay.

yep. Clearing a Glock 17 around age 23. knew it was loaded. dropped the mag. Went to rack the slide to clear it, hand slipped somehow, slide went back into battery, only thing I can figure is my finger stroked the trigger during, and BANG.

mine was extra scary as it penetrated a bathroom wall right above a toilet. If someone had been on that toilet......

Scary Stuff.

Live and Learn.
    gatorbait51, KeithC. and munch520 like this.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking.... I gave up reading."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

I have had a couple of unintentional "discharges " in my house over the years, but most of the time I make it to the toilet!!! LOL
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

The more we handle loaded guns, the more we trust our-self.
    And when we think we are good, that's when it happens.
    Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

If everything else fails, than .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is silly.

Not sure why you loaded a round and put one in the chamber if you knew it was going in the safe unloaded a short time later. Bet you don't do that again.
    gatorbait51 and amendment4 like this.

I did it too, with my first handgun many years ago. It was really, really stupid. No one got hurt but no, I'd rather not share the story because it was really, really stupid.

Habit. I have no need for an unloaded gun. Its always loaded and on me. Then I decided to put the 19 up in favor of the 26 for the movies later that night.
    gatorbait51 and d2jlking like this.

And that's why we always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
    Thanks for sharing. I haven't had it happen myself, but I've been around more than one ND.

I never quite understood why people drop a magazine and proceed to pull the trigger on a firearm before putting it away.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    I've done it once. And, like y'all, it was doing something that I KNEW not to do. I failed to double check the chamber after I had dropped the magazine. I shot my wife's 100+ year old antique dresser when I pointed the pistol in a safe direction and dropped the trigger. This is after 30 years of handing firearms.

VIP Member
    OP I commend you for being willing to share your experience. I believe that DC is the best 'gun' forum out there, but even we can be hard on each other at times. I am sure we will get a few comments on this thread about how this should never happen; and those are not completely off base. However, accidents can and do happen every now and then. And, we can all learn from a mistake that is shared and honestly considered.

Thank God no one was hurt and don't ever let it happen again.
    niks, PAcanis, Fisher126 and 11 others like this.
    Member Georgia Carry

Thanks Ricky, I agree. Im usually in the camp of no room for error when it comes to firearms. I have replayed it in my mind a thousand times and thought about the thousands of times I have cleared a firearm with no accidents. Why I missed that one step this one time I will never know. It.. just.. happened.. I cant explain it. It didnt scare me away it has just further engrained in me that there is zero room for complacency. ever.

Lucky, Lucky........no one was hurt.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links