Just got my renewal letter (Utah Permit) stating I also need Wash. permit too

This is a discussion on Just got my renewal letter (Utah Permit) stating I also need Wash. permit too within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Utah permit is up this April. I guess two yrs ago I was suppose to also have a Washington permit along with it to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Just got my renewal letter (Utah Permit) stating I also need Wash. permit too

My Utah permit is up this April. I guess two yrs ago I was suppose to also have a Washington permit along with it to legally carry concealed here in Washington State. Five yrs ago when I originally got my Utah permit you did not need both since Washington State was recognized. Why don't they notify us if they can send out renewal notice letters. Are we suppose to do this ourselves like constantly calling in to verify we are legal? What would have happened if I was caught with no Washington permit during this period?...Thanks
    ANGLICO likes this.

Ignorance of the law has never been an excuse - even when laws change. Yes, it is the citizen's responsibility to keep track of what is legal, not legal and what is required.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Utah is not responsible for keeping up with WA law--that's your responsibility.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yea OldVet I get that already granny already reamed me.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 57 View Post
    Yea OldVet I get that already granny already reamed me.
    Something about that statement that just seems wrong.
    Aceoky, Ianthin and Sarge65 like this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Utah has no idea you were using your permit to allow you to carry in WA. Reciprocity is a fluid thing these days. It can change whenever an AG decides they don't want to recognize a certain state anymore.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Washington is shall issue. Why would you not, if you are living here?
    TVille and Ianthin like this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Ignorance of the law has never been an excuse
    Unless you are a politician, president, or elite.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Are we suppose to do this ourselves ...?
    Yup.

Utah's non-resident requirements changed a few years back. They now require a person to have an in-state, resident CHL in their own state of residence prior to UT considering issuing their non-resident one.

What happens if you let the UT non-res CHL lapse is up to your own state of residence. Generally, you'll find the specifics in the firearms-related CHL statutes in your state of residence, as to how they'll handle transfers from one state to another. Some states specify a grace period, of sorts. But then, this is a situation in which you've had a lot of time to get your WA CHL, but didn't. Very possibly, they'll be a bit less than accommodating, unless spelled out specifically in the statutes.

Get the WA state CHL, if you want to remain legal for concealed carry. Or, carry openly. But the resident CHL is going to be required as one of the criteria for issuance of a non-res UT CHL.
    PatAz likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    My Utah permit is up this April. I guess two yrs ago I was suppose to also have a Washington permit along with it to legally carry concealed here in Washington State. Five yrs ago when I originally got my Utah permit you did not need both since Washington State was recognized. Why don't they notify us if they can send out renewal notice letters. Are we suppose to do this ourselves like constantly calling in to verify we are legal? What would have happened if I was caught with no Washington permit during this period?...Thanks
    Yes it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws of your state, not theirs. Would you expect the DMV to send you out a notice if the state suddenly decided to make right turns on red illegal?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I will get one of those letters when my UT expires because IL did not offer CCW when I got it. Now that IL does, I must have one to renew the UT.

Check this for the latest news: Handgunlaw.us
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

Quote Originally Posted by hick63 View Post
    I will get one of those letters when my UT expires because IL did not offer CCW when I got it. Now that IL does, I must have one to renew the UT.

Check this for the latest news: Handgunlaw.us
    As I read the Utah BCI page on Renew a Concealed Firearm Permit (IANAL and my reading skills might be suspect) if you are a resident of a state that Does Not honor a Utah permit you don't not have to have a permit from your state to renew your Utah permit

Renew a Concealed Firearm Permit | Utah Department of Public Safety

"Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply. "

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    When my wife took her CCW course over a year ago the instructor told the class they had to have their WI license to apply for Utah non-res one.

I was looking at a class I could take here in Washington state to get the Utah permit and it said a pre-requisite is to have a Washington ccl. Fortunately I already have one.

Utah used to give permit non resident permits without any other permit restrictions but have changed to where they now may require you have your home state permit first.

Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
    New Applicants | Utah Department of Public Safety

States that do not recognize Utah or have reciprocity Reciprocity with Other States | Utah Department of Public Safety

California
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    Oregon