Question about rounds for compact 45s

Question about rounds for compact 45s

This is a discussion on Question about rounds for compact 45s within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read an article on wilsoncombat.com about ammo for compact 1911s. Their recommendation was not to shoot 230gr in a compact 45. Their reasoning is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Question about rounds for compact 45s

Question Question about rounds for compact 45s

I read an article on wilsoncombat.com about ammo for compact 1911s. Their recommendation was not to shoot 230gr in a compact 45. Their reasoning is quoted below from their article.

"The pistol needs a certain amount of time to eject a fired case, allow the magazine to lift, position the next round for proper feeding and chamber the round. When slide mass is reduced and therefore slide cycle speed increased there may not be time for this to all happen properly.
    The ammunition you DO NOT want to shoot in compact 1911s is 230gr +P loads!"

Does anyone here know anything about this? I have used this round in the past with a 4506, that definitely does not qualify as a compact.

I can only say that my Kimber Ultra Carry II doesn't have a problem with 230 gr jacketed. I don't shoot +P in 45acp.
    USM1976, baren, OD* and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array WC145's Avatar
    I only shoot 230gr ammo in my 1911s - 3.5", 4.25", 5" - my carry ammo is Ranger T +P, it runs fine in all my guns.
    OD* and Aceoky like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    My XDS shoots everything but lead round nose. They get stuck on the ramp and jam in an upward direction. No issues with +P rounds, which is how I load my FMJs.
    Kasey88 likes this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Thanks for post, I don't use +P or 230gr in my 45s. Old habits that work and work well I don't change so I just use plain old 200gr HPs in standard loads and they just continue to get the job done but that's just me.
    RebelSoul and Recon1342 like this.

Are you concerned about functioning or terminal ballistics?

Here's ballistic info on ammo in short barreled 45s: Pocket Guns and Gear: Ammo tests
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

It sounds like something to be aware of, but maybe too broad a statement to say "DO NOT." The mass of the slide isn't the only factor in play, and I figure it could be counteracted by a stiffer spring. It really depends on the specific make and model in question, I would say.
    Ianthin and Aceoky like this.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    My Springfield Micro Compact GI likes most standard pressure .45 ACP just fine, but upchucked on Corbon 165 gr JHP +P.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    My XDm .45 Compact with a 3.8" barrel has handled everything I have put through it so far, including 230 grain FMJ reloads, 230 grain JHP Federal Hydra-Shok, 220 grain +P Hornady Critical Duty and 185 grain +P Hornady. I have not run a 230 grain +P through it, but given how it performed with the 220 grain +P I would not hesitate to do so.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Member Georgia Carry

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Thanks for post, I don't use +P or 230gr in my 45s. Old habits that work and work well I don't change so I just use plain old 200gr HPs in standard loads and they just continue to get the job done but that's just me.
    Do your 45s include a compact?

VIP Member
    I ran 100 rounds of 230 through my RIA compact last weekend without a hitch.
    RebelSoul and Aceoky like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

If the source is Wilson Combat, I would be inclined to listen to their recommendations. I expect this is a general rule, which your personal 1911 may not be subject to.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    IMO, you do not "need" +P 230 gr. ammo in a 45

Compact 45 chrono average for 5 shots:
    Glock 36:
    Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok @ 807 fps / 332# KE
    Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T @ 874 fps / 390# KE

IMO, either of those standard loads is sufficient.
    Aceoky likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    IMO, you do not "need" +P 230 gr. ammo in a 45

Compact 45 chrono average for 5 shots:
    Glock 36:
    Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok @ 807 fps / 332# KE
    Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T @ 874 fps / 390# KE

IMO, either of those standard loads is sufficient.
    That's roughly what I was coming here to say, and a compact .45 is already going to be beastly on the recoil, why make it worse for what is probably only marginally better performance?

A proper .45 defense bullet is designed to work at the lower speeds of a .45. I would maybe consider +P in a compact 9, but .45 doesn't lose quite as much oomph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colt Defender PAcanis and back in the 50s carried the Officers model and all I have ever shot in any pistol has been standard loads. I think I have 50rds left of +P 38s which I will be happy to send them to a new home. Yeah were part of a trade deal for one of my Emerson's, a friends son could not come up with all cash and I took those for part.
    PAcanis and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links